IGNORED

BRP Closure

CruzBay

Thanks. That was timely. My wife and I, and another couple, are spending the night at a B&B in Glade Valley, near Sparta, and were planning on continuing down the BRP from there. Now we can plan for that detour.

Paul Mihalka

I took that detour in May coming back from Torrey. Possibly the detour is faster than would be on the parkway. Specially if you don't take the rt. 21 portion of the detour but stay on rt. 18 all the way. Rt. 18 is a very nice road. Riding to the UN from the north I'll probably take rt. 18 from Cumberland Knob until crosses the parkway again.

I had my routes on MapSource to ride the BRP in September. If I enter that detour, it only adds four miles. If you do as Paul suggested and take 18 the whole way, it actually shortens the route by a mile.

BeemerLover

Bobby, Stations Inn is a great place!

Somewhere else to stop at is the Blue Ridge Music Center at mile marker 213 which is about 10 miles north of where 18 intersects with the Parkway. It has a 10,000 seat ampitheatre and internationally known Bluegrass bands have concerts there regularly. Each day from noon to 4:30 they have local groups perform on their covered patio. These people are good, established groups not pickup bands. Well worth getting off the bike to listen (its free). It is a lot closer than Mabry Mill.

Here's the website http://www.blueridgemusiccenter.org/

Actually if you want to visit a really cool mill that is much closer than Mabry, try White's Mill in Abingdon, Va. 100 miles from Little Switzerland over really pretty roads. The Mill is pretty much like it always was with lots of belts and old tools driven off the water wheel. They grind corn there every day. Takes a little over 2 hours one way from Little Switzerland. Enter this address in Google Maps: 12291 Whites Mill Road, Abingdon, Va.

Also come to our Dan'l Boone BMW Motorcycle Rally in Boone. It starts the day the Unrally ends. www.boonerally.com.

Archived