IGNORED

I saw him coming...

elkroeger

This morning, on my commute, I had a disturbing experience. I was in the left of 3 lanes on the interstate. The cage in the right lane changed to the middle. He was just ahead of me by about a car length, and I was passing at a moderate pace. I knew this guy was gonna just keep on moving left into my lane. And I knew that if he moved into my lane, we'd be on a collision course. The disturbing part is that I didn't take any evasive action. I just cruised right along and when he was 1/2 in my lane, I was right along side and simply blew my horn. Those twin FIAMMs did the trick.

I've always been proactive with the evasive maneuvers. Paranoid, even. I read Hough's book and swear by it. But something about today's event was a little too familiar. I predicted he'd move into my lane, and sure enough he did. Thinking about it after the fact, I'm appalled at my lack of response: Blow horn, flip bird, continue on. It's a recipie for an early grave. (Note to self)

Most likely you were in his blindspot and failed the defensive driving section of the test. Did you at least have a shoulder to move onto if his radio was louder than your horn?

----

I think it may be a situation where you were pretty sure he was going to come on over, and you - having seen this before - took the chance that it would play out like it did. That your speed was enough to bring you along side the drivers door while he was 'only' half way into your lane, and that by then he'd see and hear you and he would of course immediately correct his mistake. As you've no doubt realized - it very well could have gone differently. I think this kind of complacently is something we all have to watch out for in many situations we can find ourselves in daily.

I had a very similar thing happen to me Sunday - I saw the drivers head check his mirror and over he came right in front of me and into the third lane- no more then 4 feet between me and his bumper. Like you - I knew he was coming and I didn't back off and I waited till he made his change and saw me on his bumper in his mirror. I blew the horn and he raised his hand, as if to say - 'sorry'. 20 seconds later, he pulled over to the outside shoulder and stopped.

But what would I have done if he had suddenly seen me in mid lane change or after he completed his lane change and it freaked him out that I was right there and he panics and jabs the brakes!? What would you have done if your cage driver saw something in the road ahead of him and he ends up sharply changing lanes right into you?

We both got lucky that things went as we expected them to. What is troubling is that neither of us were riding in those situations expecting or making provisions for the unexpected to happen. Let's hope we've not done that so many times now that it's a habit or that we're so confident in our 'skill' and bikes that we fail to ride smartly and follow the advice of folks like David. Or is it a case of saying we adhere to 'Proficient Motorcycling', but have come to the point where exceptions to good practices are easily rationalized?

I had a similar experience earlier this year that I can only attribute it to arrogance on my part. I won't try to analyze your actions but I think for me it was just a matter of wanting to hold my position without regard for the fact that I will lose this fight every time, despite having the right of way.

I was riding in the right lane of a four lane divided highway and approaching a merge where cars had the option of moving to my lane or continuing on to an exit 200 yards ahead. About halfway to that exit, the car, now slightly ahead of me and to the right, without signalling, decided to move into my lane. I hit the horn and asserted my dissatisfaction with her lack of concern for my safety. The real story here was my focus on right of way rather than my own safety. I got off easy on this one. The next time I will slow down and assume the merge is coming, swallowing some of that life sapping pride and getting home safely to my family.

Thanks for the post, it will help me to remember to ride smart.

Evasive maneuvers can indeed be a great tool, but I wouldn't want to be without a good horn too. I don't understand why BMW only puts the good ones on a select few bikes :S

Could it be that you didn't move out of his way sooner because you didn't want to forfeit the opportunity to point out his error to him? Just a thought.

Jay

If a car was half in my lane and showed no signs of stopping, I would have done more than blow my horn. I would likely try to fit in the lane with him by moving over. Not sure the condition of traffic behind you, but if I could, I would break rather hard to attempt to get behind him as quickly as possible (or hard on gas to get ahead of him).

It is really hard to decide threats on busy motorways. You cannot panic or even make a change with every vehicle that threatens you. But, in this case, your better judgement predicted his path. Maybe you never saw him look. At any rate, you might not want to continue passing him next time. If you slowed when he went into the lane next to you, you would have been much better prepared for his next move.

Glad things worked out and thanks for sharing.

I had the same thing happen to me on my gsxr. I was riding on a three lane street in the #1 lane (not a freeway) and this small pickup truck decides to accelerate very quickly from a right hand turn, and cut across three lanes with a trajectory that would smack right in to my side. There was a curb on the center median (no shoulder) so I had nowhere to go except backwards, or forwards. My decision was to kick down a couple of gears and fly out of his way (because I COULD) and then present the finger parade.

If that happens at a more relaxed pace, like a car slowly coming in to my space, I'll toot the horn, and initiate an evasive manuver until I see a response. Usually it isn't a crisis if the vehicle is moving over slowly and predictably.

Most importantly, you saw the situation developing and had time to decide what course of action to follow. Whether it was correct or not is for you to decide upon. Keeping your eyes and ears open and brain fully engaged while riding is the only way to survive.

Good on ya! :thumbsup::clap:

Happens to me too, except I use a horn made by Federal Signal.

I too have a tendency to let a violation or transgression of my right of way develop into what appears to be a near collision by the cage. As long as I see it coming and have an out or escape if the predicted movement does not go my way, I think it's great fun to give a cage driver the need for a heart pacemaker.

Yeah, I think there's an explanation in there somewhere: A combination of my interest in maintaining my right of way in my lane, and maybe a little satisfaction in giving those sleepy drivers a jolt.

Interestingly I had another very similar situation again today. Minivan on the left veering into my lane... Today's reaction included a more active evasive maneuver, in addition to that blast of the horn. I'm so glad I threw out the stock p.o.s. beep-beep horn.

Yep, ive done the same thing too. Sometimes those left-merging cars need a wakeup. Occasionally, even though he/she is clearly coming into my lane, I don't feel threatened; either because the closure rate is slow or because I am drifting into their field of view as they are coming into my lane.

Either way, it's hard not to give in to the urge to shock them out of their complacency with a close call followed by a choice gesture.

As to the gesture, here in SoCal I refrain from the one-fingered salute (lots of people with guns and short fuses) and instead settle for the "watch what the F you are doing" gesture of two fingers pointed at my eyes while conspicuously turning my helmet in their direction.

Several years ago a motorcyclist did that to me after I nearly missed him on a lane change and it made me feel 2inches tall.

elkroeger

As a new rider I'm always reading this forum, looking for advice, and safety tips. Thanks for your story. I appreciate the other members sharing their stories. I'm not so sure I'd have done what you did. It's easier to just move over, slow down, whatever. Yesterday I watched a girl on a street bike going east on the 105. She was in a hurry, split traffic, got behind a pickup and scooted around the right side. The truck didn't see her and started to change lanes to the right as she was coming around. The truck missed her by inches. It could've been bad, real bad. Like you, I try to be real careful. I try to see everyone. And because there are crazy people out there, I never make any gestures. I do like the one about telling them to watch out with two fingers pointing to my eyes. I'll remember that one.

Interestingly I had another very similar situation again today.

Two similar incidents in just a few days suggests that, perhaps, you're not up to form - unless this is a regular occurance and 'normal' riding for you! [Your tone in post #1 suggests that's not the case]

Are you particularly tired, or unwell?

George Brown
I can only attribute it to arrogance on my part. I won't try to analyze your actions but I think for me it was just a matter of wanting to hold my position without regard for the fact that I will lose this fight every time, despite having the right of way......The next time I will slow down and assume the merge is coming, swallowing some of that life sapping pride and getting home safely to my family.

Thanks for the post, it will help me to remember to ride smart.

"Arrogance on my part" - boy you nailed this one right on the head. Been there, done that!

+1 for the post and for your anaylsis it will also help me to remember to ride smart and drive smart when I'm in the cage. :thumbsup:

Doesn't even phase me anymore, expect it, react. Remember, two wheels are way smaller than four, you can fit where they can't.

I grew up driving stupid in Brooklyn NY.

The boys had a game called "Jock da hack".

We would load up my car (49 Mercury coupe) with the boys and go cruising. The game consisted of forcing a taxi to yield, if the taxi drive had to let you take what he wanted road wise, you got the point. We found if for instance a taxi came into an intersection and he saw your eyes looking at him, the taxi would pull out in front of you and cut you off, no points.

Move forward some years and I now ride motorcycles more aggressively than is safe, but hey, I'm young what could happen. Then I get run off the highway into the berm by some car passing a long line of vehicles and I begin to wonder what would I do if someone purposed to run me off the road and "Jock da hack" comes to mind.

On a 2 lane road above Phila. it happened. No one behind me, no one in front of or behind him, a Firebird coming towards me lines up on me in my lane and comes directly at me. Waiting until the car got closer, but not too close, I throw my arms up folded in protection over my face, looking like this is a crash about to happen. Meanwhile, I'm watching this bird through the little space between my arms, ready to drop them and pull hard on the bar and dive for the ditch.

Fortunately, that time the car pulled into the left real fast and better yet I never had to try that stupid trick again.

I don't recommend pulling that move, just telling something that happened a long time ago.

Old Swede

sorry for the hijack, but I wanted to discuss a situation I saw yesterday.

I was in my work truck and the car in front of me was swerving within its lane. I looked and the guy driver had his iPad propped up on the steering wheel and was using it with his left hand. He had his iPhone propped up against his left ear and was chatting all the while he was driving with his legs.

I pulled up next to him and honked my work trucks horn and he freaked out and looked at me and I just shook my head....He went back to working on his ipad and his conversation. My blood was boiling.

We need to be careful out there as riders and watching the mirrors and using our gut feelings really help us out.

Archived