IGNORED

R1200ST is dead

YamadogR1

Just came back from my local BMW dealer, Capitol Cycle in Raleigh, NC and my good friend who is a salesman therer told me BMW has discontinued the R1200ST for 2006. Oh well, I enjoy riding obsolete bikes.

Just came back from my local BMW dealer, Capitol Cycle in Raleigh, NC and my good friend who is a salesman therer told me BMW has discontinued the R1200ST for 2006. Oh well, I enjoy riding obsolete bikes.
I feel your pain - although I was told as recently as yesterday by my dealer that BMW hasn't actually dropped the line - but has put it in production hold until next August. http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/582754/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Originally, my gut feeling was that the ST was going to be dropped and the R1200S was going to take up the mantle as the "sportier" sport tourer. But looking at the specs and pics, I don't see where the S and the ST are anywhere near overlapping.

But in any event, the news about the ST turned out to be a blessing for me. I ended up on an RT after my '06 ST order was canceled. While there are things about the ST that I prefer over the RT, I'm finding the ergos and weather protection of the RT to be infreakin'credible - while yet providing a performance and maneuverability far beyond my skill set.

Still, a Dark Graphite/Sydney Blue ST may someday be in my garage. wink.gif

ClearwaterBMW

my dealer says they will make the again in the fall. there is just no space on the assembly line for this bike at this time. to many other bikes to construct. i don't think we've seen the last ST to come off the line

greg

If the next production run is in August, it will be a nominal 2007. The most common model year change at BMW is starting after the August general vacation period.

"With the limited numbers out there, I'll be very pleased to be one of the few & proud to own the ST. "

Uh you and me both. Now how many of us ST owners are also ex-M thumbsup.gifarines? I ask this because of your use of the phrase "few and proud."

The guys in Columbus put it to me as BMW didn't want to over produce something they can't sell too well. Look at the R12RS. They had hundred's in the warehouse that they couldn't sell, they had to discount them big time to get rid of them.

There are last I knew. a month ago. 40 ST's in stock. I believe that is warehouse and dealer total.

So I don't think they will go away. BMW is just being a little smarter about it. In any case. I'm glad I got one for insurance that I can sleep knowing I have one. clap.gifthumbsup.gif

30 years with the U.S. Army and enjoyed my dark graphite and Sydney Blue ST on a ride this morning. I always tell people over at the dealership, don't demo an ST if you don't want to ride a check.

"Girlfriend owns the ST, but I get to ride it 1st MARDIV 1st RECON Battalion 1972 - 1976 "

Thread hijack---Recon huh? I'm impressed. I flunked out of telecommunications school in 29 Palms because I wanted to be grunt and ended up @ Camp Lejune, 1st Bn 2nd Marines. Machine gunner, 79-83. thumbsup.gif

The local dealer in Greenville, SC doesn't even show the ST as existing on their website. It wasn't there a couple of months ago either. http://www.touringsportbmw.com/

I bought mine from the next closest dealer in Charlotte.

At least most dealerships acknowledge that the ST exists?

I love mine, btw. 8000 miles now and just getting better.

I am puzzled by the lack of advertising for the ST. Magazines and dealer's websites flaunt the new K bikes but treat the ST like they are embarrassed by it. I don't know how they expect to make sales this way. However, my dealer in Austin said that they have sold nearly as many STs as RTs. I am hoping that the model continues because it is a fantastic bike.

I am puzzled by the lack of advertising for the ST.

It's exactly the same in the UK too. How they expected to sell any if they don't tell anybody about it is a bit of a mystery.

R1200ST is dead

No its not! There is one in my garage thats living just fine grin.gif

Yup. I was victim of the demo ride bug too. I just had to have one, over the GS, over the RT. One thing that was very convincing to my deicision was that I could test ride these bikes. That in itself had me kinda sold on a beemer. smile.gif

ClearwaterBMW

oh

the bike is amazing

and it will be made again....

they just can't keep up with all the other demands of producing the bigger sellers

RT's

GS's

R's

S's

and now R's and GT's

etc...

the mighty ST will be back when they have room to make them

greg

Im playin hookie today, sick day today. Im pondering rising my ST from the dead for a while going out for a quickie later on. hrrmm.

I need to get some meds and stuff first via the truck still a little chilly out dont wanna ride in the cold like this. frown.gif at least I think i dont.

man, your everywhere boss wink.gif

nah, its no lie. cold, fever, dizziness, aches, very annoying frown.gif

back on track with me, Columbus has sold a BUNCH of ST's but Cinci hasnt. Funny they are only 1hr 30min away, and the difference in how many are sold is just crazy. No one has much interest in the bike down here.

San Jose BMW has sold a ton of ST's, in fact they have sold the most of any dealership in the US, I bought mine there on March 29th and it now has just under 17,000 miles, a fantastic motorcycle. thumbsup.gif

San Jose BMW has sold a ton of ST's, in fact they have sold the most of any dealership in the US, I bought mine there on March 29th and it now has just under 17,000 miles, a fantastic motorcycle. thumbsup.gif

Bought my ST there last week. When I got there to sign the papers, the salesguy (Pete thumbsup.gif) asked me to wait a few minutes while he finished up with another customer who was putting down a deposit on a ST.

They had 3 on the floor while I was shopping (including the one that I bought). Not sure which color the other guy was buying, but they had a silver/grey and a silver/red after I removed the silver/blue from the running.

OTL will report that the ST is NOT out of production. Moles say that this rumor arises from the fact that BMW NA won't be importing any 2006 STs (as long as 2005 models remain numerous).

Sources say that BMW attributes slow sales to the "funky headlight treatment."

Robert at OTL

Hey, Robert Hellman just joined the board! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Robert, welcome. I'm sure you read this site and know that it is a group of quality people.

For those of you who don't know, Robert Hellman is the Editor in Chief of OTL, or On the Level (or Out To Lunch), since I don't know when (and that goes back a long time). OTL is the Magazine of the BMW Riders Association, which goes to members monthly, most of the time smirk.gif

Rocketbunny, congrats on your new ST, you are going to love it.

A pic of San Jose BMW in 1976 taken from the front door, in those days it was the largest volumn BMW dealership in the USA.

14162580-M.jpg

ClearwaterBMW
OTL will report that the ST is NOT out of production. Moles say that this rumor arises from the fact that BMW NA won't be importing any 2006 STs (as long as 2005 models remain numerous).

Sources say that BMW attributes slow sales to the "funky headlight treatment."

Robert at OTL

hey robert

glad that you are here... i guess you've been lurking for a bit and saw this thread. i appreciate you helping us understand what is going on with the ST...

the funny is that the original info came from a BMW-owned website from germany in a talk given by some high-level official with the company last week.

i'll have to find that.

not sure why the company itself is misleading us.... what would they have to gain by that? please understand that i have no doubt that you are correct... just wondering what's going on with BMW Corporate in europe.

greg

I really don't mind being wrong as I think it would be stupid to kill the bike off. The people that I find who really don't like the bike are the 1100S owners and especially the guys on the Pelican board. Most of my friends and acquaintances like the bike. I don't think the headlight is ugly, just different and that throws some people off. It is just like BMWs arrangement for turn signal activation, not wrong, just different. Irregardles of what they do, I am going to ride my ST and grin. clap.gif

I have jumped in a little late, but I agree that this bike is a sleeper. I purchased mine from Nick's in DePere, WI in July and now have 9500 miles.

ClearwaterBMW

i think the bike looks great..... i admit it is an acquired taste from the front end....

but, the motor is my favorite (i have the gs) and the bike is a hoot to ride

one of those bikes that if you go into the dealer wanting to buy a bike and you ride the ST.... you'll end up buying it for sure, i think

greg

Exactly what happened with me Greg! I made the mistake of riding the ST then the GS. a week later the ST, then the RT. The ST gave me all the grinz and giggles n stuff grin.gif

I remember looking at it first when I went to the shop on a thursday off second week of July. I had no clue what it was at the time, and questioned wade (who manages a bar now! great guy.) about the bike. I looked it over sat on it, liked it, look at the front of it, and thought the hex light was a little goofy but over all I liked the bike, so the hex light didn't bother me much. After getting used to it, and demo riding it a 5 different times tongue.gif I couln't resist not getting one.

I think in a couple of years I may wanna buy a new one, put it in storage that way in when mine dies in 10 years, I'll have a fresh new one ready to ride grin.gif

Robert Hellman is still AN editor of OTL, just like Paul Mihalka still works at A BMW dealer.

And I saw him quoted in Germany on the matter of servo brakes. Bet BMW liked that!

ClearwaterBMW

shawn,

i like your idea about the spare ST in the garage. one thing that really made me happy about my GS during my sprirted rides in the mountains of georgia, etc... was that the bike had the PERFECT MOTOR for spending the day on in the twisties. unlike an R1 (forget about the different ERGOS for a minute) where you can grab too much throttle exiting a corner and highside yourself into oblivion, the R motor has the perfect power for the GS (or the ST).... very forgiving, but very strong. i think bmw absolutely NAILED the motor/chassis/weight relationship with these bikes. after the last 75 miles on the bike... back and forth with my friend on his K1200S toe-to-toe for 1:05 (very twisty roads).... i got off the bike and just had to lean over and hug it, kissing the seat... and thanking it for one of the most exiting experiences of my life.

greg

Robert Hellman is still AN editor of OTL...

Yes, that would be more accurate. And I'm glad, too. You're the main reason I read that nasty looking thing full of typos. tongue.gif

I always enjoy Higdon, too.

If they change it, maybe the funky ST headlight will become to be considered very cool - like the instrument cluster on the first (1996) R1100Rs. That piece looked like a 1955 Philco radio and certainly didn't look like it belonged on a bike.

I am also a big fan of Hellman's and Higdon's writing in OTL (and I'm a recently retired MOA Board member!) The BMW community needs some irreverence, needling and conjecture. Robert, please keep writing!

Brian Mullins

R1200RT

ClearwaterBMW

let me ask you...

isn't the nightime visibility of the ST far superior to that of other BMW's? doesn't that "funky" light arrangement render the bike much safer in the dark?

greg

let me ask you...

isn't the nightime visibility of the ST far superior to that of other BMW's? doesn't that "funky" light arrangement render the bike much safer in the dark?

A "little" safer may be. "Much" safer, no way. Not even if you look like a Christmas tree. I think there is always too much importance given to passive safety while the key is active safety: the rider!
ClearwaterBMW

100% true

i guess i should have asked my question in a more helpful way:

my '02 LT had a crappy headlight (the new LT's are only slightly better).... i have motolights on my LT and my '05 GS....

i was just wondering if the UP SIDE to that "nontraditional" styling was a more lit up road in front of you?

greg

Archived