IGNORED

1offmotorsports HID's don't stay on (R1200 RT)

AdirondackJack

AdirondackJack

Help!!!! Anyone have a problem like this with their HID conversion on their 2011 R1200RT?

Installed the above-mentioned HID headlight conversion kit tonight with the following result:

1. High beam conversion works fine.

2. Low beams turn on for a brief second, then are extinguished right

away.

Almost seems as if the HID's are tripping some kind of overload protection on the canbus. This kit is identical to the one I installed on my '08 RT, with the exception that this time I bought the high beam, as well. Both this and the previous kit included canbus decoders for each light which I had thought was designed to avoid the problem I am having.

Once you turn off the bike and restart it, low beam HID's come back on again for a brief second, and the process repeats itself.

Any Idea what's going on here? Anyone have this same problem on their 2011??

If so, what is the fix??

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Dave R.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Can you find a way to bench test using some leads direct from the battery? That'll support or rule out the canbus.

AdirondackJack

Good idea. Already de-installed the low beams. Will do tomorrow when I get a minit.

Thanks.

Rep

Doesn't really help you, but I have the 1off HID conversion on my 06 RT and haven't had any problems. Both low and high, and I haven't had to use the canbus decoders (they're still sitting in the box.)

In about 18 months, twice one of the low beams haven't ignited and I've gotten the headlight out indicator. Turn the ignition off then on, and they ignited and all was well!

FWIW, I wouldn't get the high beam if I were to do it again. I miss being able to quickly flash the high when I need it.

Not sure how much wire you have to play with, but can you connect the high beam feed to one, (or first one, then the other) low beam units. That would check the low beam units individually for working, and indicate if the low beam wiring is what's causing the problem.

Its likely one or both of your low beam ballasts is drawing too much current and tripping the "overload" monitoring done by the ZFE.

Try running the lo's 1 at a time and swapping over the high beam ballast once you find out which is the culprit.

Not a good idea to swap HIDs into hi beam slots unless you live in a very rural area. They don't take well to a lot of switching and are slow to come up to full power compared to a halogen bulb. They also have excess glare off fog and street signs than can get very tiring on longer rides.

Contact the manufacturer. I bought the kit that was listed to fit the bike and had the same problem on my '11. When I called they acknowledged a problem and sent me 2 different ballasts that worked just fine. They were very good about it. I noticed recently that they no longer list an application for the R1200RT on their site.

Greg

As quoted from their blog;

Issues with HID conversion kit on the R1200 GS, GSA and RT

June 20, 2011 Industry News by Zach Tibbs

Our valued customers,

Recently we have been experiencing technical issues with a shipment of ballasts on the R1200 GS, GS Adventure and the RT. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and are working diligently to resolve the issue. Unfortunately our supplier sent ballasts with different specifications than we ordered, thus causing issues with the Canbus electrical system. This is not an excuse and we take full responsibility for the issue and I assure you we are doing everything we can to rectify the problem and get a working unit out to you as soon as possible. New ballasts with the correct specifications are being expedited as we speak and will solve the intermittent issue and the lamp failure fault experienced on the above models.

This is not an excuse and we take full responsibility for the issue

I have a full set of their lights on my 1200RT - 2 low beam bulbs & 1 high beam. One of the lows had the same problems as noted above (would light and then shut down - mine after 30 seconds). I swapped the components and isolated it to the ballast but they had me send everything back & the replaced the whole setup even though I had verified that the bulb & Canbus adapter were okay but not the ballast. They said they'd rather replace it all then have me have to deal with one of the other pieces failing due to the bad ballast. Nice guys, great service, very helpful (excellent prices too).

Archived