IGNORED

Oil level sight glass

Bruce (Bedford)

Bruce (Bedford)

About 2 months ago I ordered a couple of parts from Motorworks :clap: in the UK, including a new oil level sight glass. Sadly BMW are out of sight glasses :( which are on back order with no promises.

There is a hint of oil around the existing sight glass but NEVER a spot on the garage floor.

Questions;

Who would go on a 3500 mile ride thus?

If not What could I do as an bodge to give me some comfort?

I have mused about silicon around the sight glass but...

Any thoughts?

Oil around the sigh glass from what I've read should be a concern. I know one person who actually carries a spare glass. Why don't you try emailing an out-of-country dealer and see if you can charge it on a credit card. Explain your problem abt finding the glass in England.

I have heard some people carry 1.5" adjustable freeze plug that they get from an auto parts store. It is hard rubber, with a nut in the center to tighten it.

Bruce (Bedford)

Thanks Nigel - I hadn't looked at their web site, I'll give them a call on Monday - they aren't a million miles from me either!

Cheers

Bruce (Bedford)

Thanks chaps - ordered from Moto-bins today, who knows maybe they will get a :clap: soon too - can't have too many good suppliers.

I have checked out the various hints & helps for changing the sight glass & it looks a breeze :wave:

Archived