IGNORED

Lip in roadway

Mister Tee

This is more of a rant - I came out of it okay but I almost wiped out in traffic. I was going Southbound on the 101 in Marin County going towards San Francisco when I rode across a patched section of roadway. I didn't think anything of it but the long, rectangular patched section was about an inch short of being filled in (it appeared flush when I rode on to it) and the raised edge of the concrete caught my tire, pinning the front and rear wheel to the edge. The sawcut edge ran smack along the right middle third of the lane for about 50 feet. I rode it out but it almost flung the bike, scaring the hell out of both me and the car driver next to me.

Somebody at Caltrans was really not thinking at all when they did that repair.

"Caltrans" and "Not thinking" are pretty much synonyms.

Oh. Yeah. I did just state the obvious didn't I.

Over the last decade, every time I drive or ride into CA, I think my vehicle needs new shocks. As soon as I leave again, it is magically cured.

CA has the worst roads I have experienced in the contiguous 48. And that includes all the gravel in NM.

I680 northbound in the Danville/Alamo area has a dangerous pavement edge. Found between the #2 concrete lane and the #1 carpool asphalt lane. Impossible to lane split here without catching an edge.

I680 in this area is also horrendously rough and bumpy.

But hey, Caltrans is working on it, right?

I thought you were dodging local indigenous population.

Mass jaywalking or something of the sort.

Some of the frost heaves in Nova Scotia are just the width of a mc tire and you can get grabbed by them.

Rather disconcerting.

Glad it turned out ok.

James Clark
Over the last decade, every time I drive or ride into CA, I think my vehicle needs new shocks. As soon as I leave again, it is magically cured.

CA has the worst roads I have experienced in the contiguous 48. And that includes all the gravel in NM.

You haven't seen our rain grooves:

Freeway2.gif

Freeway3.gif

Freeway4.gif

Freeway1.gif

"Caltrans" and "Not thinking" are pretty much synonyms.

Oh. Yeah. I did just state the obvious didn't I.

Yes, you did, and in a very elegant fashion I will add.

• 1 month later...

Ever wonder why lately the repairs to the freeways are no better than the damage they're supposedly repairing? I swear those patches of grout they're putting down are just as rough as the cracked concrete they're replacing. Almost makes you wonder why they bothered.

Bill_Walker
Ever wonder why lately the repairs to the freeways are no better than the damage they're supposedly repairing? I swear those patches of grout they're putting down are just as rough as the cracked concrete they're replacing. Almost makes you wonder why they bothered.

Yep. I was driving on the Autobahn several years back and was struck by the fact that they put up "ROUGH ROAD" signs for pavement that was smoother than a freshly-paved road here. And this was not on an unlimited-speed section!

I680 northbound in the Danville/Alamo area has a dangerous pavement edge. Found between the #2 concrete lane and the #1 carpool asphalt lane. Impossible to lane split here without catching an edge.

I680 in this area is also horrendously rough and bumpy.

But hey, Caltrans is working on it, right?

Oh jeez I just rode that stretch on Friday. They are doing a lot of repaving work and there was like a 3" lip between asphalt lifts between the #1 and #2 lane. Just CHANGING lanes was an exciting prospect, let alone trying to split.

Is that guy in the last picture lane-splitting on foot?

----

That's a yellow line.

That's right! He's passing, illegally I might add, during the CA Carmageddon. :rofl:

But I did encounter those high, parallel to the lane, lips just this past Saturday and tried to ride them in a controlled situation. They do unsettle the bike a lot if taken on parallelly. But going at a 20-degree angle doesn't seem to be a bother.

On some of the older sections of LA freeway in and around downtown there are added freeway sections with seams between the lanes. Over time these seams have separated, at times growing to several inches!!! (the 10w from dt to westside comes to mind)

Talk about disconcerting! They are especially tricky to avoid during rush hour lane splitting. These gaps not only grab your tire and won't let go but they also grow grass and hide debris in their foliage!

JT

Archived