IGNORED

A word and video for the young and unwary

Uggles

Check this out.

Bloke is the young son of one of our accountants.

Many factors involved including wet roads.

Lucky to be alive.

Cheers,

russell_bynum

Wow...glad he's ok. Great reaction by the LEO!

What the heck happened? Didn't look like he was going very fast. Did he hit something slippery like spilled oil or something?

Calvin  (no socks)

First of all,.... everyone was on the wrong side of the road! ;)

Looks like he saw the Law officers vehicle coming, straightened up and hit the painted lines....a close call.

ariel61darby
First of all,.... everyone was on the wrong side of the road! ;)

Looks like he saw the Law officers vehicle coming, straightened up and hit the painted lines....a close call.

Exactly. They have to react immediately otherwise they might be in a trouble.

Agree with the above but will add application of the rear brake as he straightened up upon seeing he LEO vehicle.

Inexperienced drivers sometimes get "police car syndrome" and panic just by the presence of one.

Agree with the above but will add application of the rear brake as he straightened up upon seeing he LEO vehicle.

Inexperienced drivers sometimes get "police car syndrome" and panic just by the presence of one.

A touch of "Black-n-White Fever, perhaps. Happens a lot.

Put most accurately, that LEOs training and skills saved that kid from his lack of same. Had that been average driver behind the wheel, the kid would be dead. Doubt he learned anything except wet paint is slippery, though, and probably blames his bike for the spill rather than himself.

The episode makes a good case for some on track training for riders. The first time to learn how to really ride isn't when the bike is already heading out of control.

Put most accurately, that LEOs training and skills saved that kid from his lack of same. Had that been average driver behind the wheel, the kid would be dead. Doubt he learned anything except wet paint is slippery, though, and probably blames his bike for the spill rather than himself.

The episode makes a good case for some on track training for riders. The first time to learn how to really ride isn't when the bike is already heading out of control.

Not so sure about the LEO skills on this . . . he steered the same direction as the rider was sliding. Seems to me, (mind you I was a LEO all thru the 90s, both car & motor) he should have steered the opposite direction - "steer to the rear" is a phrase that comes to mind. Now before I get flamed for this, I watched the video and have seen how narrow the road is, and it's wet, and it's a curve. I see the dangers in this case of steering to the rear. I am not saying that it's a cure-all by any means. If you steer the same direction as the slide, you stand a great chance of still impacting what you are trying so hard to avoid. I think a great deal of luck, and lower speeds were in play in this case.

I didn't think it was skill. Just good luck. He steered right into the kids path. Fortunately, he was able to get around the kid.

But the real problem was there appeared no real time to react. Only to just evade to the side.

dc

Archived