IGNORED

Broken collarbones! What gives?

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

As Colin Edwards said today there must be a broken collarbone virus going around the last couple of years. Last week I posed a question to watcher of MotoGP what's going on with the broken collarbones. Of course he had no answer. Are there really more of these incidents as a result of modern race bikes, tires and equipment or just a coincidence. As an retired orthotist I wonder. The racers wear better leathers and with more armor. The only thing I can come up with is the modern hard armor on the shoulder and superior humerus is somehow placing more stress under impact on the collar bone. Any thoughts from the orthopedic docs out there?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Lot of them on advrider Faceplant section too....it seems.

I've actually been asking myself the same question. If I go down, how might I protect my collar bone and, especially, neck. Haven't come up with any brilliant ideas yet.

Guy I work with fell skiing and broke his last year. Fell on the other side this year ant broke the other side.

Joe, I have been riding bicycles for manyt years also and that is the primary injury coming from a crash. I too have experienced it. It comes from putting your hand/arm down to break a fall and the collarbone is the weakest link. Armor doesn't really help that kind of injury.

CoarsegoldKid
... Armor doesn't really help that kind of injury.

I agree with you that armor is not helping, John. My wonderment is whether friction of the suit or placement and flexibility or lack of flexibility of armor on modern race and street suits may be a contributing factor. Perhaps the flexibility of the riders themselves comes into play. Since I have a subscription to MotoGP that includes archives I guess I should watch go back to replays of the MotoGP crashes in the interest of research because watching a person crash hurts just looking at it. From what I remember seeing however is that many result in no harm, some resulting in a clavicle fracture and the riders are not trying break the fall with their arms or hands stretched out in either case. Different mechanics of the fall are implemented, probably out of luck but maybe professional racers can make the microsecond decision to do one thing or another. Some are flailing about like rag dolls and walk back to the pits. Some are doing handstands in a mid air highside where outstretched arms would be a normal reaction but not resulting in a broken clavicle. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Will have to look closer,but some of the gear worn now to reduce neck/spinal injuries is leading to more reported clavicle injuries.

Those wearing Leatt or similar type neck braces put strain on the clavicles,as that's the weakest resting/pressure point of those systems.

Clavicle fracture versus permanent spinal injury,good tradeoff in my book!

JR356

CoarsegoldKid
Will have to look closer,but some of the gear worn now to reduce neck/spinal injuries is leading to more reported clavicle injuries.

Those wearing Leatt or similar type neck braces put strain on the clavicles,as that's the weakest resting/pressure point of those systems.

JR356

JR are you are saying this from a position of knowledge on the subject or from what you read in publication. Certainly Edwards didn't make the connection. I didn't know about neck braces for motorcycle racers. It makes sense that it could happen.

Guest Kakugo

Reasons are two.

First when you land on your side the collarbone is very likely to take the blunt of the fall. The human body is not made to hit the tarmac at high speed from insane lean angles.

Second is the fact while other types of body armors (back, chest etc) have constantly evolved shoulder protection has more less stayed the same. My present Dainese body armor has exactly the same type of shoulder/collarbone guards as the first one I bought around 1996.

Last year in Milan I saw prototype full body armor made by Brembo which is designed to provide full protection to the neck and torso, including the shoulders, through a system of air bags, the present trend in protection. While it's reported to work very well in absorbing and dispersing kinetic energy, the big challenge for designers is how not make the rider bounce on the tarmac like a gigantic ball.

Most bicycle accidents lead to a broken collarbone due to the arm being stretched out straight to break the fall. The collarbone's angle relative to a fall is what makes it the weakest link. The forces act almost perpendicular to it's longitudinal axis. I do not think spinal protection gear increases the risk of a collarbone fracture.

My suggestion would be to learn to fall with a bent arm. Feel free to contradict.

CoarsegoldKid

Extending the arms to break the fall can contribute to broken collarbone is not in dispute. I just don't think it's the cause of the "virus" of broken collarbones. It could all be coincidence.

JR356

I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any MotoGP or WSBK racers that wear any type of neck brace.

CoarseGold,

Wanted to take a closer look at the MotoGP,guys to see neck bracing and as others have posted,many/most may not be wearing braces.

Think you were right on your first assumption that the arm/shoulder impacts are the primary source,

I am in medicine(Surgery PA)and do know that some of the braces out there are leading to clavicle injuries,while protecting cervical spine,hence my prior comment on the tradeoff.

Just was not sure how widespread usage was in MotoGP,I'm usually concentrating on the racing,rather than the gear:)

JR356

DavidEBSmith

I broke my collarbone a few years ago falling in the shower, naked, which is a data point against the "gear caused it" theory.

The reason my then fiancee, now wife of many years, stopped riding was a slow speed fall where she put her arm out and broke her collarbone.

ATGATT at the time was a helmet, which she was wearing, so other gear was not involved.

The straight arm to the ground transmitted the force right up to the collarbone and that was that.

2 broken CB's.

One on each side for symmetry.

Doesn't count the acromioclavicular separation and clavicle reduction surgery that followed.

Land wrong and the force is transmitted to the cb.

Simple enough.

I broke mine last year at a track day. I low sided on my left side, and shattered it enough to need a plate. The amount of force needed to break a cb is very small (8 lbs?), so when you land on one side from the height of a motorcycle, it's easy to do. Almost everyone I know who races or has raced motorcycles has broken a collar bone.

As stated prior, it's the fused link for your neck.

Archived