IGNORED

Almost hit while lane splitting

upflying

Traffic was usually heavy at 0545 this morning on the local freeway. It is undergoing widening from four lanes to eight lanes and construction obstacles, chicanes and changes are everywhere.

I'm on the B/W, third gear, burbling along with stock exhaust between stopped and slow moving cages between the #1 and #2 lanes, the only two lanes available.

I am riding in my comfortable reactionary zone of 25-30 mph with my thumb, fourth and baby finger wrapped on the throttle. My index and middle finger are resting on the front brake lever. My left thumb is resting on the horn/siren switch and the rest of my left fingers are resting on the clutch lever. My right foot is hovering just above the rear brake pedal.

I quickly scan and consider every vehicle I pass as a potential threat. Those that have a cage next to them in the adjacent lane are dismissed. Those cages that have an open space or gap in the lane beside them are given extra attention. Then bang it happens, a slow moving cage makes a lane change into a gap from the #2 into the #1 lane about 15' in front of me, directly across my direction of travel.

I lay on the horn, hit the brakes and swerve to the left into the gap the cage had intended to occupy.

The cage driver reacts to the horn by looking back over her left shoulder. Her expression is one of shock and "where the hell did that bike come from"? She stops the lane change while straddling over the middle line.

I swoop by on the left and continued splitting. I did not contact her nor did I write her a performance award for an unsafe lane change. Doing so would be considered poor form and vindictive on my part since I was the "victim".

By reading her body language, it was obvious to me the cage driver had made the lane change to the left without looking in her left, outside rear-view mirror. Had she done so, she would have seen me approaching from behind. From a cage perspective, why should she need to look in her mirror? She does not expect a "third" lane of traffic approaching from behind on a two lane roadway. She knew there was a gap in the lane beside her and the all traffic was was creeping along at "slow and go". She didn't expect a lane splitter when she decided to make a lane change. The attempted lane change logically did not make sense to me since both lanes were already moving at the same 5-10 mph speed. Changing lanes to pass could not have been her motive.

About a half mile later, I encounter an orange Harley Davidson Street Glide that was having trouble with lane splitting. The HD rider could only manage about 10-15 mph while splitting. His timidity and tentativeness while splitting was apparently by the jiggly and jerky movements of the bike between the cars. This biker now has both me and another HD rider behind me. He is oblivious we are behind him. His concentration of lane spltting was so intense, the rider was unable to look in his rearview mirrors.

I remained behind him to see how long it would take before he looked behind but alas, no success. I hit the PA and barked, "pull over if you are going to ride that slow". The rider awakened from his feeble lane splitting slumber and waved in acknowledgment. He moved to the left into the #1 lane while me and the other biker continued on.

I am sure Street Glider will watch his mirrors a bit more now.

beemerman2k

I wonder if that woman is from another State? People often tell me that they just came back from California and where shocked out of their wits when a sport bike or a Harley blasted past them just over their shoulder. I explain to them that such riding is called, "lane splitting", and it's perfectly legal -- and safe -- in California.

Many people fly there, rent cars, and not only are they not expecting to encounter a lane splitter, they've never even heard of such a thing.

W. Mazelin
I wonder if that woman is from another State? People often tell me that they just came back from California and where shocked out of their wits when a sport bike or a Harley blasted past them just over their shoulder. I explain to them that such riding is called, "lane splitting", and it's perfectly legal -- and safe -- in California.

Many people fly there, rent cars, and not only are they not expecting to encounter a lane splitter, they've never even heard of such a thing.

Good observations. My younger brother now lives in MN, where lane sharing is considered "wreckless driving" - he has designs on getting another motorcycle and I told him he should get a copy of the California VC and learn all he can about the lane sharing sections - then find a state legislator to help with changing the MN vehicle code.

Maybe, my recollection was younger (at my age everyone is young) woman in an older car. I would have profiled her as a student. No one goes to Eastern Contra Costa county as a tourist.

Lane splitting is frequent and common on this stretch of road, commuters know the bikes well.

Good observations. My younger brother now lives in MN, where lane sharing is considered "wreckless driving" - he has designs on getting another motorcycle and I told him he should get a copy of the California VC and learn all he can about the lane sharing sections - then find a state legislator to help with changing the MN vehicle code.

There are no lane sharing statutes that permit splitting in the Calif Vehicle Code.

It's legal because nothing prohibits it.

TracyMurphy

Opinions are like arm pits, everyone has them and sometimes they stink, so here is mine. This is an example of why I think lane splitting is a bad idea.

Perhaps some form of icongraphy to make all drivers aware of the possibility would help.

California does get a tourist or two.

I hit the PA and barked, "pull over if you are going to ride that slow". The rider awakened from his feeble lane splitting slumber and waved in acknowledgment. He moved to the left into the #1 lane while me and the other biker continued on.

Classic move, Bob. I'm glad you were able to dodge the "student" and get to this guy.

This is an example of why I think lane splitting is a bad idea.

Fair enough. There were more than 3,300 cases of the clap in Contra Costa county in 2009 (data) and I'm sure some people interpret that as meaning sex is a bad idea.

beemerman2k
Opinions are like arm pits, everyone has them and sometimes they stink, so here is mine. This is an example of why I think lane splitting is a bad idea.

If you don't think lane splitting is a good idea, there's a very simple, cheap, and easy solution: don't do it. :Cool:

russell_bynum

Fair enough. There were more than 3,300 cases of the clap in Contra Costa county in 2009 (data) and I'm sure some people interpret that as meaning sex is a bad idea.

LOL!!!!!!

russell_bynum

Why? Nothing happened. The OP was alert and anticipating the move. Saw it happening, dodged, and avoided an accident. That's how it is supposed to work.

I had a guy change lanes into me this morning. Then some yahoo made a left turn right across my nose (from the far right lane). In both cases, I saw what was going on, adjusted my speed/position, and went on with my day. Should I instead decide that driving in the morning is a bad idea?

TracyMurphy

If you don't think lane splitting is a good idea, there's a very simple, cheap, and easy solution: don't do it. :Cool:

I don't :)

I hit the PA and barked, "pull over if you are going to ride that slow".

Wish we could all add PA's to our bikes!

TracyMurphy

Why? Nothing happened. The OP was alert and anticipating the move. Saw it happening, dodged, and avoided an accident. That's how it is supposed to work.

I had a guy change lanes into me this morning. Then some yahoo made a left turn right across my nose (from the far right lane). In both cases, I saw what was going on, adjusted my speed/position, and went on with my day. Should I instead decide that driving in the morning is a bad idea?

Driving in the morning is a bad idea. :wave:

As you just have just shown with this example there are plenty of hazards in every day driving without lane splitting. I just choose not to put myself in that position

The attempted lane change logically did not make sense to me since both lanes were already moving at the same 5-10 mph speed. Changing lanes to pass could not have been her motive.

OK. I agree with everything else you said except for the above quote.

Since when have cage drivers in stop n go traffic ever changed lanes because it made sense?

I can't count the number of lane changes I've seen that resulted in the vehicle going backwards 20-30 relative positions from where they started.

It's my experience that rarely does a cage driver look at more than the bumper of the vehicle in front before deciding another lane must be better moving. Sometimes watching an agressive lane changer gets downright humorous as the end result of all the lane changes is the vehicle fades out of sight to the rear.

It's also the unnecessary lane changing that is responsible for a lot of the congestion.

Good for you :thumbsup: Lane sharing is not for everyone. I and other riders who do use this right of way commend you on not attempting.

TracyMurphy

Having sex with someone that has clap could be considered by some as a bad idea. :dopeslap:

TracyMurphy

Good for you :thumbsup: Lane sharing is not for everyone. I and other riders who do use this right of way commend you on not attempting.

Thank you :)

russell_bynum

Driving in the morning is a bad idea. :wave:

As you just have just shown with this example there are plenty of hazards in every day driving without lane splitting. I just choose not to put myself in that position

For whatever it's worth...The most common freeway accident is a rear-ender.

Given the choice of being the gooey filling in an SUV sammich, and being brushed by a lane changer, I don't have to spend much time thinking about it.

But then again...my opinion is probably clouded by the fact that I was once rear-ended on the bike...an accident that never would have happened if I had been splitting. Splitting is certainly not without risk, but I'd much rather be splitting than sitting there in traffic hoping that the person behind me accidentally sees me and doesn't run over me.

Glenn Reed
It's also the unnecessary lane changing that is responsible for a lot of the congestion.

I have come to this same conclusion. I doubt it will ever come in to the consciousness of the other drivers though.

Yet another good reason to consider CA the land of fruits and or nuts. Anybody that would do this number called lane splitting deserves what they might get. The idea that this kind of thing should be allowed anywhere else is pathetic. Myself, I wouldn't be caught riding a motorcycle or driving a car in that pathetic society south of the border. Bad enough Oregon must share a border with that so called state of mind. There, I feel better having said all that. :wave:

Ok, so I know you were on Hwy 4, I know it well. I ride from Alameda to my boat which is in the delta off hwy 12 almost every week. I do not split lanes near Railroad Ave where most of the contruction is as it is just too narrow and people drive crazy there.

Take a little more time and live longer!

beemerman2k

Back in March 2004, I rode my BMW R1100RT to Los Angeles. When I arrived there, I didn't feel comfortable lane splitting either. Until one day I was on the 101 in Reseda or Encino, heading toward the 405 (that collosal interchange in Sherman Oaks. Traffic stopped, so I had to stop, and as usual I checked my 6, and here comes a woman in her white Lexus ES300 yapping on the phone and seemingly not aware that traffic has stopped. I'm dead. There's no place I can go as I am too close to the car in front of me. All I can do now is pray.

She slams on her brakes and stops short of making me a hood ornament. From that time on, I lane split.

Racked up 60,000 miles of California lane splitting without incident, not even one that compares to what Bob experienced today. And of course, no more near rear-enders, either :smirk:

Once you learn how to do it, you come to see that it truly is the safest way to ride a motorcycle in any congested city, and especially in a place like LA -- the king of congested cities!

beemerman2k

One more thing, this is why I feel that California riders in general, and SoCal riders in particular, are the best riders in the country. Everyday they sharpen their skills toward a keen alertness, and the development of a sixth sense to somehow detect when something awry is about to unfold. Newbies go down, the more experienced riders might have incidents like Bob did today, but truth is you never hear about them because they simply rack up the miles and the days without incident.

How many times, on this board alone (and most members of this board are probably in CA more than any one place), do you read about a member going down because of lane splitting? This one thread is the closest I have ever read to such a thing happening. If it were so dangerous, I would think we'd read Ride Well threads on a regular basis warning about lane splitting mistakes and mishaps.

I happily split lanes when I lived in CA.....I commuted on the bike, and splitting made it even more worthwhile. It is clearly safer and more productive than being a sitting duck, sitting in traffic.

That said, I moved out of CA to NM. I really though I would miss splitting. Funny thing......Splitting only makes sense in heavy, commuter type traffic. What NM does not have that CA did is.....Too damn many people. So I have not missed splitting much at all.

Thanks for the differing viewpoints. My intent was to share a near collision expereince and show how I prepared for it before it happened and how I reacted when it happened. I don't condone or support lane splitting, it's not for everyone as Mr. Street Glider showed us.

It is a high intensity mental activity which requires concentration that can be fatiguing. Let your mind wander and go adrift and you will eventually crash.

BTW, one can critique Street Glider's problems to where he was looking while splitting. Proper eye placement while splitting is way down the corridor, using peripheral vision to judge clearance between cars. SG dude was actually looking at each car, hence the wobbly, jerky ride he was displaying.

I think sex in the morning, whilst lane splitting, with someone who has the clap, is a bad idea.

Some of these super wide Harley's with monster ape hangers should never, and don't, lane split.

Some of the lanes are just too narrow for lane splitting.

At construction areas they cut the lanes into more narrow lanes. Good place to stay in the lane.

I'm wondering too if you used your bright light as you were coming up to this incident?

That, I think, makes it a lot easier for them to see you.

dc

Some of these super wide Harley's with monster ape hangers should never, and don't, lane split.

At construction areas they cut the lanes into more narrow lanes. Good place to stay in the lane.

I'm wondering too if you used your bright light as you were coming up to this incident?

dc

If you don't see a cop bike (the OP) then you are not looking, so will not see a light.

Andy

Charles Elms

I have a question for lane splitters. I do not want to start a flame war on this. When I took the MSF course about 10 years ago, I was taught that the lane belonged to me. I learned to drive a cage in Texas many years ago. It is not uncommon when traffic came to a stop or near stop for me to move to the left of the lane to see what is causing the delay. I neved checke my rear veiw because the lane belonges to me. When I'm on my bike in heavy traffic I stay in the far left of my lane so that if I see someone who might not stop, I can jump into the gap in front and to the left of me.

For legal lane splitters, please watch out for cages that assume that they 'own' their lane to the strip. Not everyone is used to bikes sharing their lane. Do lane splitters consider that the lane belongs to the cage? What if there is another bike in the lane? Do you just pass? Is it illegal in California for a cage to move to the left of their lane to get a better view of traffic ahead?

You can bet that when I'm driving in California I'll be watching for splitters. But not everyone will.

Be careful out there.

In the UK the Queen owns the lane, she just lets us use it :)

Lane splitting is an art that demands your full attention - you must assume that the other vehicles will move around. In the UK our lanes are narrower than those in the USA, based on what I have seen on TV. When I split I normally have between 6-12 inches on either side of the bike - less if one is a truck, so I do so when the cars are alongside one another, so they are not likely to move to one side. Those who see me coming usually make room. I only split when traffic speeds are below 30mph.

Andy

beemerman2k
For legal lane splitters, please watch out for cages...

You know, as a long time lane splitter, this never occurred to me. :grin:

And for you pilots out there. I have never flown a plane before, but I can only imagine the dangers up there. Please don't fly too close to the sun as I wouldn't want anyone to catch on fire. Also, tornadoes can be wicked things, so you might want to not fly into one.

There, hopefully if our pilots keep my fatherly advice in mind, the skies will be a lot safer now (this is what you nay sayers sound like to me) :smirk:

Dude, lane splitters keep more than you could ever imagine in mind! As has already been pointed out, this is for the supremely alert, the very adept, and the one who know how to read traffic patters to the point of spotting potential danger situations before they ever materialize. What sparked this thread was Bob's encounter with a driver, who after the hudreds of thousands of safe, lane splitting miles he's ridden, bucked the usual trend. Bob knows traffic patterns, and he discovered an anamoly to what one would not normally see out there and so he figured he'd make note of it.

In case you guys aren't aware of this, the survival of us all depends upon our forward thinking skills and our ability to anticipate situations and avoid them altogether.

To avoid them all together, one would not lane split.

Otherwise, we might be guilty of overconfidence.

Just thinking, not criticizing.

beemerman2k

...or one might not ride a motorcycle at all!

Listen, if you don't actively think and educate yourself, then you are an accident waiting to happen. Does anyone dispute this contention on my part?

Whether you educate yourself or not, or even wear good protective gear, including a helmet, you are still far safer in virtually any modern airbag, seatbelt equipped car than you are on virtually any motorcycle. Any objections here? No?

If the primary directive is safety, what in God's name are you doing on a motorcycle?! Clearly, not every riders primary directive is safety! For some of us, it's fun, its escape, it's fast transportation through thick jungles of traffic, its whatever. To dole out advice fitting for a 16 year old, about something of which one know nothing about, and then wonder if the person is "overconfident" because said advice is so elementary that it far and away goes without saying is silly in my view.

You wanna be safe? Buy a Volvo.

You don't like lanesplitting? Don't do it.

But please don't assume that those of us who do lane split, do so with passive, uneducated, and non-thinking minds. That's parallel to your coworker in the elevator who sees you with your helmet and begins to lecture you about some kid who he saw popping a wheelie the other day -- as though he has therefore good reason to fear that you are going to go out there and hot-dog it, too, or you wouldn't be on a motorcycle! Advice from the ignorant is insulting to me; I'm sorry but I can't help it.

This is a motorcycle forum for God's sake! Not a mini-van drivers forum.

James,

Are you as sensitive about this as it seems?

Asking because my reply was in reference to lane splitting only, not riding a motorcycle, ATGATT, rider education, practice etc.

The apparent scarcity of lane splitting accidents would be evidence of the skills demonstrated by splitees.

Best wishes.

When I took the MSF course about 10 years ago, I was taught that the lane belonged to me.

This is a good opening bid and I do certainly ride with the expectation that others won't crowd into my lane. However, when my bluff gets called, I'm happy to yield the lane to whomever wants it. This works for two reasons. I don't just own the lane; I actually own the entire width of the road from the shoulder to the center line. And equally as important, lanes only exist as a manifestation of collective behavior (otherwise, they're just lines on the ground) and that is not sufficient to limit how I position myself on the road. Yielding 5' to my right or left is no big concession.

Not everyone is used to bikes sharing their lane. Do lane splitters consider that the lane belongs to the cage? What if there is another bike in the lane? Do you just pass? Is it illegal in California for a cage to move to the left of their lane to get a better view of traffic ahead?

The road belongs to whomever wants it more. I generally don't split past other bikes unless they wave me on because I anticipate that they may want to start splitting and have the maneuverability to do this quickly. I'll pass in the next lane if I need to get by.

I recall one day here in LA when I was riding on the far left side of the lane and a car split past me on the right in my lane. It was unexpected but well executed on his part. When I got over the surprise, I figured what's good for the goose is good for the gander. That's the only time I've seen such a thing but it just shows how fluid traffic is.

Be careful out there.

Thanks.

TracyMurphy
Thanks for the differing viewpoints. My intent was to share a near collision expereince and show how I prepared for it before it happened and how I reacted when it happened. I don't condone or support lane splitting, it's not for everyone as Mr. Street Glider showed us.

It is a high intensity mental activity which requires concentration that can be fatiguing. Let your mind wander and go adrift and you will eventually crash.

BTW, one can critique Street Glider's problems to where he was looking while splitting. Proper eye placement while splitting is way down the corridor, using peripheral vision to judge clearance between cars. SG dude was actually looking at each car, hence the wobbly, jerky ride he was displaying.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for sharing and I am glad you made it through this safely. Also incase anyone has not thanked you lately thank you for your service!!!!

I have a hypothetical question:

Let us say in this case the rider was not a well trained LEO and a collision happened between the cager and the rider. Luckily no one was injured, but I am not sure that would be the case if one was to collide with a stopped vehicle doing 35 MPH. Who gets the performance award??? The cager for an unsafe lane change or the rider for failing to control his or her vehicle.

In my experience, lane splitting doesn't avoid risk or "situations" altogether. It's just a way for riders to choose which risks they take. For example, the potential of a rear-ender v.s. the lane changer. Filtering to the front at a stop light puts one in front of the pack of cars once traffic gets going but it also puts one first in line for red-light-runners. Choosing not to split lanes creates a different risk profile. I don't see that one choice or the other necessarily reflects overconfidence.

beemerman2k
James,

Are you as sensitive about this as it seems?

Asking because my reply was in reference to lane splitting only, not riding a motorcycle, ATGATT, rider education, practice etc.

The apparent scarcity of lane splitting accidents would be evidence of the skills demonstrated by splitees.

Best wishes.

I guess I am really upset over the "paternalistic" nature of the people in this country, to be honest.

Everytime the subject of lane splitting or helmet use or ATGATT or...people feel compelled to wag their lecturing fingers over matters that 1) every motorcyclist has already clearly considered and 2) the assumption is that you are a wreckless idiot as evidenced by the fact that you do some things that I would not. And everyone ought to know that my level of risk is the *proper* level of risk :smirk:

I was listening to a talk show this morning on the failed "war on drugs". I only caught parts of the program, but some elected official was arguing that no matter what, drugs cannot be legalized, because if it were, the usage would go through the sky (which I strongly disagree with. I have never used drugs nor am I interested in ever using them, even for free). His second point, which was his strongest, was this: if we legalize drugs, we are sending a message to the population that drugs are ok.

So? Since when is it the governments job to decide for people what's "ok" for them and what's not? Since when is my decision to spend my leisure time in the way I want someone else's responsibility or business? Since when is alcohol "ok" and drugs not? (Well, the govt makes money and is pressured by lobbiests with alcohol, and that huge interest doesn't want competition for their products among narcotics sellers).

We talk freedom out of one side of our mouths, and then hurrily take it away from everyone whose lifestyle doesn't agree with mine or my church.

This parental mentality drives me nuts. Sorry.

beemerman2k

OK, I have a confession to make.

I am having a highly stressful day at work, and I'm a bit grumpy to say the least. I checked and my blood sugar after that last post and it was waaay low (34!). I'm drinking a soda now to get back to my real self. I feel a terrible mess emotionally, and that's no doubt due to my low blood sugar compounded with my high stress day of writing software that has to be out the door by last week. Hanging out here helps me to deal with the stresses of work (and sometimes waste time :smile:)

Apologies to all for my angry demeanor. Times like this only add to the frustration as this is when diabetes becomes a real world issue that has real world implications. The feelings expressed are certainly mine, but normally I would be worlds more diplomatic in expressing them. Low blood sugar turns me into a major grouch!

Sorry.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for sharing and I am glad you made it through this safely. Also incase anyone has not thanked you lately thank you for your service!!!!

I have a hypothetical question:

Let us say in this case the rider was not a well trained LEO and a collision happened between the cager and the rider. Luckily no one was injured, but I am not sure that would be the case if one was to collide with a stopped vehicle doing 35 MPH. Who gets the performance award??? The cager for an unsafe lane change or the rider for failing to control his or her vehicle.

Well I wasn't gong 35, maybe 25-30 and the car that was changing lanes was moving slowly, not stopped.

Each collision is unique and what applies to one may not apply to another, depending on circumstances. Generally though a vehicle may not move left or right until it is safe. In this case, the cage made a lane change when it was unsafe to me. The cage would be at fault if I crashed.

Now if I hit a cage that was not moving left or right in the lane while I was passing her then I would be at fault for passing without sufficient clearance.

If a squid decides to lane split at 50 and hits a car that lane changes, well the squid is at fault for speed too fast for conditions. The lane change would be considered legal since it is not reasonable to expect riders to split at 50mph between stopped cars.

dc

Using high beams when traffic is in front of you is illegal in Ca. I see many bikers using high beams while splitting but little enforcement occurs. Using a modulator is legal and might be a better choice over using high beams. High beams are also a spark for a road rage incident to occur.

I think some, especially those with no lane splitting experience, overestimate the hazards involved with splitting and ignore the fact that splitting mitigates some of the dangers involved with not splitting.

Since cars cannot instantly jump sideways without warning, as long as the splitter keeps the overtaking speed differential within the realm of reason, splitting seems pretty safe to me.

In my experience, I'd say the two biggest dangers of splitting are the occasional road rager that gets set off by being passed and the possibility of moto on moto collisions.

It seems that about one car out of every thousand will try to cut me off and pinch me into the next lane, but these a-holes are pretty easy to avoid. And I'm constantly on the lookout for other splitters, because there are a lot of bikes that will begin splitting without checking their mirrors, and they will pull out right in front of you.

That is simply the act of choosing one risk over the other. I would much rather deal with the risk of lane changers (Which I can control) that put myself at the mercy of someone not stopping behind me. I have been in the situation of pulling up between cars, while the car that was behind me hit the car that had been ahead of me. Gives one a whole different perspective.

I find it interesting that I have never heard from someone who used to lane split, but gave it up because they decided it was too dangerous. Everybody that tries it long enough to hone the technique finds it useful, and continues to exercise it, wherever it is legal.

James,

thought something was going on.

Hope all is well for now.

:thumbsup:

Those of you responding to my post about splitting and overconfidence please realize I was responding to a specific part of James' post not throwing out a one size fits all response to splitting.

That is why I followed with the post remarking about lane splitters and their skills.

Oh, and I've been run over from behind while making a turn, no where to go, by a drunk who did it intentionally.

No way to avoid it.

Gives one a whole different perspective.

Best wishes.

russell_bynum

I learned to lane split following a friend of mine on his Suzuki Cavalcade (Full-dress touring bike). Another friend had the full-dress Harley. They did just fine. Even a really wide bike is still narrow enough to fit through most gaps. If the gap is too small, you just adjust speed a bit so that it opens up by the time you get there.

russell_bynum
I have a question for lane splitters. I do not want to start a flame war on this. When I took the MSF course about 10 years ago, I was taught that the lane belonged to me. I learned to drive a cage in Texas many years ago. It is not uncommon when traffic came to a stop or near stop for me to move to the left of the lane to see what is causing the delay. I neved checke my rear veiw because the lane belonges to me. When I'm on my bike in heavy traffic I stay in the far left of my lane so that if I see someone who might not stop, I can jump into the gap in front and to the left of me.

For legal lane splitters, please watch out for cages that assume that they 'own' their lane to the strip. Not everyone is used to bikes sharing their lane. Do lane splitters consider that the lane belongs to the cage? What if there is another bike in the lane? Do you just pass? Is it illegal in California for a cage to move to the left of their lane to get a better view of traffic ahead?

You can bet that when I'm driving in California I'll be watching for splitters. But not everyone will.

Be careful out there.

I don't think about who the lane "belongs" to. If there's a gap, I go through it. If there isn't, I don't.

Archived