IGNORED

Bike died overnight, 04 RS

Squarehead

Squarehead

HI,

My new to me 2004 R1150RS has died overnight. I took a run up the Beartooth pass yesterday afternoon (first up...yea!!!) went to start it this morning and everything is dead, no dash lights, no start, no fuel pump sound, etc...

I have it on my trickle charger now. I did check the Alternator belt and seems OK.

What might have caused this?

There are a pair of PIAA;s switched through an Autoswitch. I do not recall turning them on, but they would still go out with the key anyway.

now what????

Had you checked the battery voltage before putting it on charge?

If the battery has a charge and still nothing I would inspect the loom to the ignition switch. On the RT there have been cases where the loom comes down from the ignitions switch, the cable ties are too tight and have broken the cables to the switch.

Welcome to the forum

Andy

That's how I wish to go; just pass during my sleep. RIP.

:grin:

Sorry. You'll receive a lot of advise here, welcome. It's a diagnosis process for you.

Squarehead

Well maybe it was th P problem, I thought I had keyed it to Fork lock position..

Do not have a multimeter yet, I see that it is a required tool with these bikes.

The battery is taking a charge. I will see if it can hold the charge now.

Also check the kill switch is set to run, though my money would also be on a broken wire in the harness below the key switch.

Andy

Squarehead

If the key switch harness was broke, would it respond now that it is getting a charge?

Kill Switch...checked

The broken wire tends to be intermittent - wiggling the harness causes the ends to make and break - though they can go hard fail. The easiest way to check is to remove the first cable tie and flex the cable - if this does not cause the off-on effect, then cut open the harness outer by the first tie and take a look. I have fixed three bikes with a broken cable here.

Andy

Squarehead

Started right up this morning, must have been that P location. Never do that again.

Otherwise loving this bike and can't wait for some long trips

If that is original battery it is on overtime.

If it is a replacement, depending on age, may want to do a load test JIC.

Best wishes.

Started right up this morning, must have been that P location. Never do that again.

Otherwise loving this bike and can't wait for some long trips

Great! Like I said, we all do it once. I did it 300 miles from home, parked in front of a restaurant. Lucky for me, I eat fast, so it still had enough umph to start.

Enjoy your bike.

Archived