IGNORED

1100RT heated grip repairs

Ingmar M.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but I have been lurking for a while. I recently bought a '96 R1100RT which I absolutely love, my other bike is an '89 K100RT.

Anyway, this RT had a faulty left side heated grip. Inspection revealed that with the grip rubber being a bit loose it had obviously been twisted around a few times by the PO, breaking the nichrome wire.

I looked at replacements and they all seemed a bit pricey so I went to my local electronics store and bought a 4M pack of nichrome wire (13.7 ohms/metre) for $4.20 and some large diameter heatshrink tubing.

I pulled off the handgrip and cleaned up the remains of the old heating wire and paper that covers it. Then I wrapped just under a metre (ended up with about 11 ohms resistance) of new wire over the plastic grip. This was covered with a length of heatshrink tube to the full length of the grip. I then reterminated the wires, crimping to the nichrome as soldering it is a pain. Finally I applied some detergent to the inside of the rubber hand grip and slid it back on.

The result is a working heated grip with (must have been pure luck) the same temperature as my working throttle grip.

I have pictures, if I can figure out how to submit them!

Cheers,

Ingmar

Canberra, Oz.

This shows just under 1M of new nichrome wire (about 11 ohms worth) wrapped ready to cover with heatshrink.

5612.jpg.77a098aa63d440e4a0c87f6caa233776.jpg

This final shot shows the heatshrink protecting the newly wound nichrome wire and the piece of hookup wire running back to be terminated to the old wiring.

5613.jpg.ebb0cff7183f745fc9b5441261c2eda3.jpg

Nice work. It's nice to see creative solutions so well executed. I wouldn't have thought of using large diameter heat shrink tubing, which strikes me as a brilliant solution.

I'm going to try this! My left grip is dead. This thread should be a sticky on a tech page. Well done!!!

Archived