IGNORED

New Top Box for R1200RT?

MotoRider2011

MotoRider2011

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for a top box for my R1200RT, looking to the different brands found that SHAD makes the cases for BMW so quality is not an issue, they have a new model available - SH48 - 48 liters (plate included!!), has anyone tried the SH48 model on their RT? do you recommend any other model from this brand?

Found this link for future riders....

Pictures R1200RT with Shad Cases

Ordering Rack from shadonline.com

SHAD SH48

I've seen other Shad cases on other brands of bikes, and they seem very well made and sturdy. Still, I recently went for the Givi V46 with their mounting plate for the R12RT. I'm not nuts about the Givi latching system - it's just not intuitive or convenient but it does seem to work well. The Givi is also a bit rounder than the Shad which makes the Shad look better on the RT (my opinion). The Givi V46 looks a bit like you are carrying a watermelon. But the black Givi with clear lens looks very sharp on my Thunder Gray RT. So take your pick. Both companies make super-size cases now, in case you want to bring along a small Toyota.

pete

I Didn't want to spring for the BMW case so I got a Shad case. After almost a year I can say I am very pleased. See my original Post

I just added a Give E55 over the winter months. I chose that because I wanted to add lights to the back and the Admore lighting kit for the E55 looked like a good choice. It looks good to me and I really like the additional lights for the safety aspect.

Jim

I just noticed that someone lifted my photos from this forum to post in the pictures link you attached. The silver RT on the bottom is mine.

I have the Givi and I like the case, though the mounting of the base plate was a pain. Further, reported problem that the contacts for the lighting will fail over time. Mine failed after about a year. Was able to figure out a fix, but the lights are not working again this spring, and just no time yet to figure out what is wrong.

I would still buy the Givi rather than spend the money on the BMW case. Those that have the BMW cases love 'em. Just stay away from the J.C. Whitney case, I have read it leaks. So ANY of the cases are good. Just depends on how much effort you want to put into mounting the baseplate and dealing with the lights. If you want the quick route, go with BMW, but without the added safety of aux. lights. Looks are subjective, so buy what YOU like.

MotoRider2011

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Natche if your bike is the silver one in Shadusaforum.com, a big thanks! The photos made me decide for my SHAD SH50.

My bike is Silver and the Shad case looks like it was made for the R1200RT, it is just perfect. The locking mechanism works smooth as butter, hermetically seals, and I can open the case without the keys when in its unlocked position. I ordered the brake light as well, you mount it to the base plate so no dealing with disconnecting wires when removing the top case...Genius!! Backrest is included with the case, not the best of best, but works just fine. The price is a considerable difference with Givi, and overall quality fit and finish is....well, superior! A win-win!!

That's a real nice find. If i had known about that case a few years back, when I bought the BMW topcase, I would have chosen the Shad instead.

Nice find...thanks for sharing that with us.

Archived