IGNORED

Touring With Back Issues

Rinkydink

I was recently incapacitated by what the doctor tells me is an L3-L4 bulging disc. I have a two week tour to the east coast this summer. The doc has given me the go ahead and I am going!!!!

I would love to hear from other people who have similar back problems and what you do to abate/prevent any symptoms while on the road etc etc. I have ridden locally since my episode and don't seem to have any problems but what about when I'm 1500 miles from home? I am taking my prescription anti-inflammatory with me but am nixing the muscle relaxers as I refuse to ride impaired. Thanks.

I'd take the muscle relaxants with me. You might want to sleep impaired. Or need a day off while spasms go away. Just better to have them and not need them than otherwise.

----

I've a bad back caused from race crashes when a lot younger. My salvation came from stretching exercises which then became Yoga exercises.

My last job for ten years demanded up to 18 hours some days at a computer screen and my posture was not good. This caused a lot of pain between my shoulders. I now use an inversion table ( a teeter-totter) and use it daily in full inversion for about 5 minutes. I follow this with leg stretches and balance exercises.

I always travel very long distances with Neurofen Plus (if I need them) and stop and rest and stretch. Most back trouble (the pain) comes from muscle spasms surrounding the affected joints so stretching is imperative. For cramping and spasms, I take up to 4 Magnesium tablets daily (every day). This keeps me in good shape.

General fitness helps me, so I ride a bicycle every morning for about an hour. This gives me leg strength. Some abdomen crunches daily, will strengthen the core and stop all of the weight of your torso being supported by your back. You'll corner better too.

Get someone, an expert in stretching to show you how to keep limber in your main pain zones during the day. Practise these at fuel stops and lastly, don't push yourself past where you're comfortable on the road. If you're tired or in pain, stop.

Enjoy your journey.

Linz :)

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Posture, exercise to maintain neutral spine and no tight belts nor weight on the hips.

I've had back problems for 25 years now and two surgeries on L4-L5. Short of a back rest, I've found that stuffing a dry sack with towels - or other needed soft gear - and strapping it onto the passenger seat provides a surprising amount of support. Frequent stops for stretching before you feel pain are also a good idea. You may even want to consider a around the waist back support to help hold your back in position. If you pain is spasms in the back, then it's related to local inflammation of tissue in that area. The disc has to tear through a tough, fibrous ring that holds it in place and that process can cause terrible pain. If you get pain in other areas, it's the disc pressing on the nerve. If you allow that for too long you can do permanent nerve damage. Beware of numbness and what is called "drop foot". If you can't hold your toes in the air while balancing on your heels then you should get to the doctor right away.

For me, ice works well when I feel I've overdone it, along with ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. YMMV

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, I only play one on this forum.

Bronx Cheer

I have had back problems for more years than I care to count. About 6 weeks ago I got a free pass to attend a Pilates class. It was pretty frustrating at first as it is somewhat fast paced and it takes a while to figure out the different exercises. The exercises are designed to strengthen your core and it is very helpful to people with back problems. I have been sticking with it and have already felt a big improvement in my back.

It may be something you might want to check out for a long term strategy. Don't attempt this route with active pain as it might make things worse.

I've been pretty lucky with back issues. I do have this Man Girdle for holding things in place while bouncing around in the dirt. :) Not sure if it would help your situation.

Pat

Penforhire

I used a Back-a-Line belt for a while. It might be helpful to you but when my back got better I figured it was best to support myself without it.

Thanks everyone. I am taking muscle relaxers to be used at night if need be. Looks like Linc is also buying a girdle just case...

Bill_Walker

+1 for Pilates, or any other exercise that strengthens your core muscles. I've got herniated disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1, and I've ridden all over North America.

I too have bulging discs in lower back. I just sold my last sportbike where I didn't have to sit up right.

My rt1100rtp lets me sit up right and I have noticed my back slouch when I am tired.

I am going to start using a back brace called "Pull It" $40 from Bell Horn. Bell-Horn.com

I sell them for this company, it breathes, is totally adjustable, made of breathable webbing with 5to1 pulley ratio for support.

Bell Horn offers over 50 back braces and this is the one I keep in the trunk of my car to work out with, work on car and bike with, ride with and lift with and sell.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to hear from other people who have similar back problems and what you do to abate/prevent any symptoms while on the road etc etc. I have ridden locally since my episode and don't seem to have any problems but what about when I'm 1500 miles from home? I am taking my prescription anti-inflammatory with me but am nixing the muscle relaxers as I refuse to ride impaired. Thanks.

I've had that identical condition for a couple of years now. Couple things I try to always do to keep my back from getting too painful. Please note my bad condition is chronic rather than acute....there have only been 2-3 times in the past 10 yrs where I simply had to go to bed for 3-4 days to recover. If you're 1500 miles from home....well, find an inexpensive motel. ;)

These help the chronic pain:

- Always stretch out the back in the morning - gently. I put my hands on the bathroom sink, then move my feet back around 3 feet from the sink counter. Then I lower my shoulders so that I am "pivoting" my lower back. I hold it for about 20 seconds and repeat 3-4 times.

- I almost always pre-med with 600-800 mg of ibuprofen in the morning. Sometimes I do that in the PM as needed.

- I do not just sit on the bike....I move around a LOT when I am riding. I also have a backrest rigged on my motorcycle that gives me some support. Also a stretch like above helps.

- Never try to carry too much (luggage, etc), and never twist when you're picking up something. That has lead to acute back problems for me more than one.......

I agree about not taking anything but ibuprofen and other meds that don't interfere with your riding skills.

If you can, I'd visit a physical therapist and get their advice over anything you read here. :)

About 12 years ago I decided to hike across the Grand Canyon in two years.

I started hiking up the monutains in Phoenix and around Arizona.

The hiking over rough terrain strenthened my core. I have not had back problems since.

That was pretty good for having back problems for over 40 years.

Paul Mihalka
Stop in at any dirt bike shop and take a look at off road kidney belts.

Ron C.

+1 I don't ride more than a hour without a kidney belt.

• 2 weeks later...

I had surgery on that L5-S1 disk a couple of times, and the adjacent disk is not far behind.... Today, usually, I'm okay. I have to avoid bending and twisting at the same time.

For the motorcycle - sit up straight, take some breaks (avoid those Iron Butt sessions), stretch, bring your heavy duty pain killers and what have you, and just accept that you may spend a couple extra nights in a motel somewhere while you eat those pills. Don't eat the pills and try to ride - you might as well be drunk.

Something to do in the longer term is core exercises. Strengthening those back and abdominal muscles will benefit you by helping you to not slouch - and they're indispensible for good form while lifting. Also you may recall that all Lowe's employees were required to wear those back brace belts several years ago. They did away with them because statistically they didn't do anything. I believe it was part of a clinical trial, but sorry, I don't have a reference for you. I'll see if I can find it.

For me, I can spend the whole day on the bike and while I'm a bit frazzled by supper time, my back feels great. Same trip in the car, and I feel great, but my back hurts like hell. It all just depends.

bmwdave152

I love my Back-a-Line belt too.

Some time ago Dick Franz (I hope I got his name right) posted a set of stretching exercises while riding long distances. You start from your toes and work up to your head flexing each muscle group as you go. It takes some practice but I find it works amazingly well. It's great for long airplane rides also.

Sit up straight. Good advice but that's exactly the problem. I have not had a back problem for 3 1/2 years as I have been on the F800ST, which has a forward riding position. Which causes the back to be held in a straight line. With no pain nor fatigue, etc.

Now, having moved back to the R1200RT I'm already slouching and hunching down.

I believe the solution is lumbar support. However, someone posted that the only real lumbar support is ... a forward riding position.

I'm looking at back supports, and these belts.

I think they don't use the belt on the jobs anymore, as they were intended to prevent back injury ... from lifting weight.

Not just from not standing up straight, or slouching.

I have no problem in the car with a racing type bucket seat. Total back support. The car fits like a glove. No back problem.

But the 1200? I haven't even gone anywhere and I'm slouching.

dc

• 2 weeks later...

Just due to lots of wear and tear from both hard physical work and lots of hard play - snowmobiles, boats, water skiing, motorcycles - and the "I'm Hercules" foolishness of youth, I've got several discs in the lower back that are only about 1/2 as thick as they should be altho, thank goodness!! nothing herniated.

I've been a lifelong chiropractic patient and I'm absolutely convinced if it weren't for good chiropractors (yes, there are lots of ineffective ones and downright quacks out there) I'd of been incapacitated many years ago.

In spite of my lack of physical conditioning, esp in the back - believe those that tell you a good exercise program, even on a rowing machine, can work wonders as long as you take it really easy to start with and build slowly and only with a Dr's advice and permission - and about 30 lbs too much frontal counterweight, AND being downright darn near elderly, as long as any of my back vertebrae aren't out of position and pinching nerves I have absolutely no problems riding for long periods. No discomfort at all.

One natural muscle relaxer that is absolutely not impairing in any way is Valerian Root, an herbal supplement that is also known as a gentle blood pressure reducer because of it's mild muscle relaxing capabilities. Available Wal Mart etc. But be careful first time you open it, they stink! But they do work.

If you can find a good chiropractor, you'd be surprised what they can do for that bad back. But ask around for references, and if any of them want you to come back once or twice a week regularly, run far away!!

I've had lower back pain so bad I couldn't roll over on the floor without help - literally! Been carried into a chiro office, screaming in pain with every little movement, and walked out under my own power - VERY CAREFULLY of course, but nonthless, what a relief!! "It feels so good when it only hurts a little bit!" good luck!!

• 5 weeks later...

I agree exercises and good core strength is the key... However, there are two items everyone should have for their RT to help with back ergonomics. First, get a solid backrest such as "Backup" support system or Corbin back rest... This will allow you to sit back and readjust... Second, get a set of foot pegs... For the RT, foot pegs allow you to stretch the legs and decompress the spine for long rides... I did both for mine and it totally eliminated any back pain or discomfort.

Brett

I discussed this issue with Deadboy in Georgetown. He mentioned Doc Wong and the seating seminar, the ergonomics, and all that. Basically I think he meant the Zen of sitting up straight. And concentrating on keeping the eyes at the top of the windshield. I tried that and found it did work. As long as I sit upright, and don't slouch, I don't have back issues.

dc

CoarsegoldKid

Here is my 2 cents on the subject. Core and spinal muscle strength in combination with proper knee and hip angle flexion make hunching harder to do. Hunching is bad. Always has been. Sit up straight is best but not for MC riding long distances. At home you get up and move about without thinking about it. On MC getting up and moving about cycles go few and far between. Not to mention the little jolts and such transmitted to your spine if straight up. Maintain a bend in the elbows. Relaxed. Core active. Shoulder blades pulled back slightly. Torso flexed at the hips slightly for a leaned forward position. Maintain a normal curve in the lumbar spine. Too much forward lean and you're on the tank. Too little and you are sitting upright. Find the balance. Constantly check your body mechanics until it becomes more natural. Hunching is a quick way to a sore back as it closes vertebral space where you want it open.

Barback kits, aftermarket seats and peg lowering brackets help in this regard. Bikes need to be custom fitted to each body. We are all different sizes and have different limitations. Highway pegs worked for me with the low stock seat but when I changed to a higher custom seat they were really not used much so I removed them.

Knees will appreciate a slightly longer span between the seat and footpegs.

• 2 weeks later...
GunshipDriver

lots of good advice on here. I have a similar condition between my L4-L5.. I find a very tight fitting back brace helps as well routine stretching before, during (on longer rides), and after...

Archived