IGNORED

Kathy R

Les is more

Folks, just a brief update: Kathy's initial surgery was a temporary fix, meant to stabilize her condition and ward off the possibility of infection. Tomorrow (Friday, May 26) she will undergo a second surgical procedure to permanently repair the damage. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. And, if you have the ability to do so, a card or some expression of concern might be helpful. She'll be hospitalized for some time after the surgery and likely won't be able to travel for a while once she's released from the hospital.

I have to say this, too: Knappy, Eebie and others were there for her immediately and Kathy is immensely grateful for their outpouring of love and honest-to-goodness practical support. She'll tell the story in due course, but these guys (and, I think, their spouses) and others have gone to a lot of effort to help out. A certain Mrs. Whip offered to come up from Texas to assist, and I know there are others who've stepped up.

For those who might not know, this is not the first time that the dynamic duo of Knappy and Eebie have gone to extraordinary lengths to help out a comrade in need. Truly, these are extraordinary men. In an age when so many avert their eyes and walk away from others in need, guys like this step forward and ask "How can I help?"

Really, it's at times like this when I'm so proud to be a part of BMWST. It's sad that Kathy's been injured, but it's wonderful to know that the bonds of friendship that have been forged in our little corner of cyberspace sometimes emerge to make a genuinely positive difference in the lives of others.

Well done.

Firefight911
Folks, just a brief update: Kathy's initial surgery was a temporary fix, meant to stabilize her condition and ward off the possibility of infection. Tomorrow (Friday, May 26) she will undergo a second surgical procedure to permanently repair the damage. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. And, if you have the ability to do so, a card or some expression of concern might be helpful. She'll be hospitalized for some time after the surgery and likely won't be able to travel for a while once she's released from the hospital.

I have to say this, too: Knappy, Eebie and others were there for her immediately and Kathy is immensely grateful for their outpouring of love and honest-to-goodness practical support. She'll tell the story in due course, but these guys (and, I think, their spouses) and others have gone to a lot of effort to help out. A certain Mrs. Whip offered to come up from Texas to assist, and I know there are others who've stepped up.

For those who might not know, this is not the first time that the dynamic duo of Knappy and Eebie have gone to extraordinary lengths to help out a comrade in need. Truly, these are extraordinary men. In an age when so many avert their eyes and walk away from others in need, guys like this step forward and ask "How can I help?"

Really, it's at times like this when I'm so proud to be a part of BMWST. It's sad that Kathy's been injured, but it's wonderful to know that the bonds of friendship that have been forged in our little corner of cyberspace sometimes emerge to make a genuinely positive difference in the lives of others.

Well done.

Beautifully stated! Yep, Jamie and I will do anything possible to help! If she needs some financial support, a plane ticket, or anything else, we are there and can/will provide! Done. That's what family is about and we won't stand idly by and which a family member suffer.

Jamie and I have reaped the many benefits of this board, it's emotional support, and the life long bonds of friendship this board fosters through our own trials. We can never repay what we got but we are there for each of you in your own time of need.

Kathy, no pride moments. This is your time to accept your family's support so just say the word and we are there!

DavidEBSmith

I just got back from the hospital a little while ago. The outpouring of positive thoughts and well wishes is doing great things for Kathy.

Right now hugs are pretty much out of the question (I think her right pinky may have been the only thing not hurting tonight, maybe) but I'm sure she'll be wanting to make up for lost time next time she sees each of you.

Well done.

Beautifully stated! Yep, Jamie and I will do anything possible to help! If she needs some financial support, a plane ticket, or anything else, we are there and can/will provide! Done. That's what family is about and we won't stand idly by and which a family member suffer.

Jamie and I have reaped the many benefits of this board, it's emotional support, and the life long bonds of friendship this board fosters through our own trials. We can never repay what we got but we are there for each of you in your own time of need.

Kathy, no pride moments. This is your time to accept your family's support so just say the word and we are there!

Guys- I don't think that we could say it more or say it any better. I am sure that any one of us would do what it takes to help out each other in a time of need. ""You guys rock!" As my grand daughter would say!

RichEdwards

Kathy....Sorry to hear about your mishap. Heal quickly. If I'm not mistaken, there is a fabulous dog waiting at home to provide the healing licks that dogs do so well. :wave:

Just got off the phone with Kathy. She’s in a little more pain this morning as predicted by the doctors/nurses. Still in good spirits. She will be in surgery about noon. Mike and EB visited yesterday and are helping her along. She also loved her visit with Karen Knapp and the little ones. She HAS been reading this thread and says she feels your love.

Would one of you post this on Facebook for her other friends? Thanks.

markgoodrich

Thanks for the update, Ron, please keep us informed. Am I correct that the main injury is the wrist? Any specific diagnosis?

Don Miller

Jeez Kathy! My apologies for being one of the late arrivals to your get well party here. It was pretty upsetting to hear of your accident and injuries.

My father once told me that if you can count the number of true friends on the fingers of one hand - and have all fingers standing, you are a rich person. You are truly a very wealthy woman. And from your many many kind posts, your wealth is richly deserved!

You're in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

All the best,

Don

Oh My!

We just got in from our Texas Coast via New Mexico road trip :) and Whip called us!

Kathy, lots of positive vibes, juju, gourd rattling and chanting heading your way :S.

Here's to a speedy recovery luv

Phil & Deb

Paul Mihalka

Wow! Just got home from my Torrey trip to read this! Kathy, get well soon, I need your hug in Little Switzerland! Just in case, I have a nice titanium plate in my right wrist (throttle) from my first deer kill, and works better than new! Thanks guys, for helping her and keeping us informed!

Speedy recovery to you. I have a plate in my right wrist from a dismount in April last year. It was two months to the day from surgery to my first ride after. Good as new now. You'll be back in the saddle before you know it.

John Bentall

Hi Kathy,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the other side of the "pond".

John in London

I woke up to see this posted on another forum. If there's anything we can do on this end for Kathy, give a holler. We call ourselves the Pi Riders in her new hometown. Is her cellphone up and working yet?

OMG. So sorry to hear about this. Heal quickly and completely. Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Eric

russell_bynum

I spoke with Steve Knapp this morning.  Kathy is in good spirits (is Kathy ever NOT in good spirits?)  but she's still in quite a bit of pain.

Kathy first and foremost would like to express her thanks for the outpouring of support that she has seen from all of her friends.

There are a few things I'd like to pass on that will make things easier for her:  

Currently, her only electronic device is her DroidX phone.  We're working on resolving that, but for now that's where we are.  This has some limitations, so....

Reading the posts on bmwst.com is easy for her as is looking at posts on her Facebook wall.  

Pm's on bmwst.com and facebook messages are harder for her to read, so please don't use those.

SMS (text messages) are also hard for her, so please don't send those either.

Emails are fine. But please keep the subject lines brief since there is a limit to what the phone's small display will show.

Phone calls are tough for her right now because it is difficult to hold the phone up to her ear.

Kathy, as I watch the Quail stroll thru the redwood trees in my yard, their calls to each other reminds me of the Chuckwagons parking lot on a Saturday Evening.... Just a fun Image for your Surgery recovery

Crazy work schelude, haven't logged on all week, still have that uneasy feeling in the pit of stomach from reading this thread. I just realized there is no virtual hug key on this computer ??? That said, You can expect an extra BIG HUG from yours truly at our next face to face meeting.

A destination ride from Americade Rally? :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Spoke briefly with Kathy this morning. As Russell notes, she's deeply grateful for all the support from her friends here.

Leslie sent her some flowers and a nice little teddy bear on behalf of all of us; Kathy wanted me to let you all know that she particularly appreciates her "therapy" bear. :)

Well done.

Wonderful post. There are some extraordinary people on this forum, more than any one of us can know, because I'm quite sure much of the help given is done quietly and without fanfare. Usually we only find out about it when others mention it.

Several years ago Jamie and Leslie took time out of a road trip they were on, and Jamie and I talked about an issue my son was going through. (I remember they were driving through the Texas hill country and had to stop at the top of a rise to get good phone reception.) We spoke as long as I needed to until all my questions were answered. I will never forget their kindness. Until now, only the four of us knew about it. I imagine such quiet kindness happens daily between members of this forum.

This thread got me thinking about karma, although I'm sure that's not the correct word. Often it's thought of in a negative way- karma is a b!tch and all that. There are 127 replies on this thread, and I can't believe that even half of the respondents have actually met Kathy. But I do believe all of us have been touched by her.

There is a genuine outpouring of love and caring for Kathy, something she brought on herself.

I remember reading The Snows of Kilimanjaro, and when I finished the only thing I could think of was, Hemingway is a terrific writer. Not the most descriptive, but the best I could come up with. Well, Kathy is a terrific person.

The amazing thing is that she's not unique on this forum. There are some extraordinary people here. Thank you to all of you.

Matts_12GS

+1. I have been on the receiving end of this positive karma from the group here. It's overwhelming.

Kathy, get well quick hon, bring the buick to the UN, we'll have bikes you can ride if you need a fix!

I talked to Kathy this morning and she must be getting back to normal as she started yelling at me right away to shut up. :grin:

What a shock to find out about this as I just emailed her to see if she got home ok.

I talked to Kathy this morning and she must be getting back to normal as she started yelling at me right away to shut up. :grin:

What a shock to find out about this as I just emailed her to see if she got home ok.

Sorry Barry but if I would have thought you didn't know I would have told you sooner.

Get better Kathy we shall meet again.

Dana

+1. I have been on the receiving end of this positive karma from the group here. It's overwhelming.

Kathy, get well quick hon, bring the buick to the UN, we'll have bikes you can ride if you need a fix!

I think this positive karma is present in the motorcycling community in general. I know Kathy from another group, and there are some great folks over there as well.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks to whomever posted the link for the hospital staff to print the email and take it in to Kathy. Love and hugs sent from the PNW.

steveknapp

Just FYI, she's been reading this thread and her FB wall on her DroidX. The good wishes are warmly received.

But as Russell mentioned, she has a hard time reading/replying to PMs on either site. As well it's hard for her to answer the phone and hold it to hear ear.

From our visit yesterday a quick update...

First and foremost, her head and heart are as strong as ever. When visiting in the hospital there have been many moments so funny or special that I had to remind myself where we were and the situation that brought us together.

Physically her head, torso, and legs are solid. Something we are all thankful for. But her arms and shoulders are still in a good bit of pain. If you think about it, it's pretty hard to move around in any way without some movement in your arms and shoulders.

George Brown

Haven't checked in for a while - saddened to hear of you mishap Kathy. I'm sure you've got the medical staff of whatever hospital your in laughing by now. Will be keeping you in our prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Wanted to say Hi again and to let you know Susie and I have you in our hearts.

She found another T-Pot for you if yours is damaged. Let us know if you need anything.

Bob and Susie

I haven't been on the site for a while. We sure are sorry to hear of the mishap and Kathy, you are in the front of our prayer list.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bill & Gretchen

Les is more

I just saw a brief post from Kathy on Facebook saying that she's flying home tonight. What good news!

markgoodrich
I just saw a brief post from Kathy on Facebook saying that she's flying home tonight. What good news!

This IS good news indeed.

Good evening, this is Transairways, the local hospital has informed us that we have a very special person with us tonight, they are not sure WHO she is, but the E-mail and phone system was overwhelmed with fans of this woman... she goes by Paper Butt, the pilot would like to know she is?? Rockstar? Athlete?

Good evening, this is Transairways, the local hospital has informed us that we have a very special person with us tonight, they are not sure WHO she is, but the E-mail and phone system was overwhelmed with fans of this woman... she goes by Paper Butt, the pilot would like to know she is?? Rockstar? Athlete?

:grin:

Sorry so late to this thread... (and to hear of this news)

Hope you are doing better. No doubt in my mind you'll get through it. Hang tough. You've got some good friends here. Use 'em.

MB>

Archived