IGNORED

Saved a squidiot's ungrateful behind today

nealopp

Today I was driving my mom to dinner to celebrate her $&th birthday. We were in her Prius. For those familiar with San Jose, we were driving to Santana Row. After exiting N/B 880 onto Stevens Creek Blvd, I moved to the #1 lane.

At the end of the overpass is a stoplight controlling Stevens Creek and the S/B exit from the same freeway. The light turned red as I approached, so I came to a stop. There were already vehicles stopped in the #2 and #3 lanes, so the roadway was filled from left to right.

A habit I've carried over from my motorcycling is to pay attention to my rearview mirror until at least one other vehicle has stopped behind me. After all, we can't afford to be rear-ended on two wheels! As I was looking, I saw a sportbike crest the top of the overpass, in my lane, at a high rate of speed. I'd estimate at least 55 mph but, again, I was looking through the mirror so my POV wasn't the best. I saw his rear tire start smoking when he locked it up and started fishtailing to the left-right-left, then he low sided.

When I first saw the smoke, I did a quick check of the offramp/opposing traffic that currently had the green. Seeing nobody coming, I jammed through the intersection and came to a stop just across the intersection, on the other side of the traffic light.

As I was exiting my vehicle, I saw him trying to pick up his bike in the mirror. I ran up and asked if he was OK, he said "I'm fine, I'm fine, don't worry about it." I was nice enough to kick down his kickstand so he wouldn't flip the bike over onto the other side. He cranked the starter a couple times, it kicked on, and he rode away. No thank you or nothing. What a piece of work.

Did I mention his bike came to a stop well past the limit line that I had been previously stopped behind? Had I not saved his ass, we'd have been waiting for Fire and a couple airbags. He never touched our car.

What did I learn from this? First, never let your guard down. Had I been on my bike, and had I not been paying attention, and had he hit me, I'd be at least seriously injured.

Second, Motorcycle-car accidents aren't always the cage's fault. I couldn't imagine how I would have felt had I been involved in an accident where a biker was hurt, no matter the fault.

Third, I'm once again a believer of ABS. Had he had ABS, I don't think he would have gone down.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Also, I called to make a phone report to CYA, but they don't take phone reports for accidents. Bummer. At least I have his plate # saved on my phone, just in case.

Here's where it happened on Google Maps.

I'm guessing the motorcycle rider was embarrassed, pumping adrenaline, and just wanted to get away from the situation. It is fortunate that you saw what was coming and were able to move your car.

Based on the smoking rear tire, it sounds like he doesn't know how to do a proper quick-stop. Maybe he is one of those who never uses the front brake for fear of flipping the bike forward.

Jay

OP is proof motorcycle riders also make better car drivers.

The squids lack of appreciation and hurry away seems to imply he wanted to avoid a LEO contact. The bike may have been stolen. The lack of a drivers license, lack of insurance, carrying or did something illegal and running from a police pursuit may have been motives for the reckless riding.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Just another lovely day with the fine citizenry of Burbank. The old name for the area he was exiting.

Probably a S/O car back on W. San Carlos towards Bascom LHAO or, someone in front of SJBMW still shaking their head.

"cage's fault"

Almost 1/2 of fatal mc crashes are single vehicle incidents.

Huge percentage of those involve alcohol.

We apparently don't need cages to cause problems when we can do that for ourself.

Chalk up anothe hybrid hatred incident.

:/

Probably a S/O car back on W. San Carlos towards Bascom LHAO or, someone in front of SJBMW still shaking their head.

Probably. Guy passed in a pickup and let me know he "was going 80 miles an hour back there."

I think I'm mostly upset that my mom was in the car. I'm sure that gave her another reason to worry about me on the bike.

Bill_Walker
OP is proof motorcycle riders also make better car drivers.

The squids lack of appreciation and hurry away seems to imply he wanted to avoid a LEO contact. The bike may have been stolen. The lack of a drivers license, lack of insurance, carrying or did something illegal and running from a police pursuit may have been motives for the reckless riding.

Or just late for work, which was why he was going so fast in the first place.

I think this rider was just a different species. I'm not sure we are all of the same species.

Here is an Australian account of a similar character.

"In 1978 I was driving a Jeep, towing a trailer, in outback Western Australia, when an Emu ran out from the bush, hit the side of the Jeep, then continued to run along parallel with the Jeep.

After a while, it decided to try and duck behind the Jeep and run across the road. It ran between the Jeep and trailer, tripped over the drawbar, fell on it's face, picked itself up and ran off into the bush. They're a very tough bird."

I think that's what you had there; a very tough bird.

dc

russell_bynum
Based on the smoking rear tire, it sounds like he doesn't know how to do a proper quick-stop. Maybe he is one of those who never uses the front brake for fear of flipping the bike forward.

Jay

Thanks to the short wheelbase, the rear brake on a sport bike is just about useless anyway.

This guy just didn't know how to use the brakes. (a very common thing, unfortunately)

Maybe he is one of those who never uses the front brake for fear of flipping the bike forward.

I used to be one of those guys. I learned to ride in India and that was the conventional wisdom. Of course it was a 100cc Kawasaki and I don't even remember if it had drum or disc brakes.

But fast forward to the US and I'm riding a ZX11 @ 80mph around a turn. I needed urgent braking, used the rear brake like I was used to and went straight off into the White Mtns. Drivers in cars behind me told me it looked like I drove off road deliberately and smoothly.

I analyzed it to death and figured out that my rear brake usage was the problem. I bought another ZX11, disconnected the rear brake assembly and drove it forever without the rear brake just to untrain my reflexes.

Of course now I need to learn how to use the rear brake. :dopeslap:

W. Mazelin

Sounds to me like this cat was a victim of several items:

1) Inattention.

2) Going too fast.

3) Lousy braking technique.

Other observations:

1) With proper braking technique, I bet ABS would be a non issue in this event.

2) Good on you for paying attention (enough for the both of you in this case).

Most of the squids on that side of the hill think they can drive/ride fast! They just have NOT learned about stopping! Glad no one was hurt, and your mom had a good birthday dinner.

If you really want to see maroons at work, ride up to 35 at highway 9, go north about 10 miles to the vista point/turnout, and just sit and watch the bikes go by. You can REALLY understand why so many end up hurt!

Archived