IGNORED

Torrey XXI- Check-In

hopz

Les is more

Kathy and her wrist are bound for surgery as soon as all the scans are done. I wanted to post this for all you folks who were with her at Torrey but I have also started a "Good Wishes, Karma Prayer, etc." thread HERE.

I just saw Karen Knapp's post on FB that Kathy R has had a get off. Apparently someone pulled out into traffic. Kathy say's that she's okay outside of a badly damaged wrist. Sounds like Knappy's on the way to help.

:( Sorry to hear it. If there's anything we can do, let us know.

Unfortunately, badly damaged usually means scans and surgery. Which may take some time.

I got home at 1:30 this afternoon.

Someone pulled out in front of me yesterday, just south of Page. Fortunately, the abs saved me.

Also, fortunately, I displayed my rage up close and personal, but I didn't kill the driver.

dc

Home... After leaving Topaz , Lake, Monitor Pass was the only pass open ..so rode over it to get to the central valley and got into Ripon in time to have lunch with my Pop. Than rode to the coast and stayed Monday nite. Rode up the coast to 36 than ran over to Forest Glen for a campout, finished out 36 with a loop around 3 to 299 and back to the coast and home... whats a extra 7 or 8 hundred miles tacked onto a Torrey adventure.

To everyone that made it to this gathering, it was great to see you all again

( Cathy- Paper Butt, you are my Heroine , it was a pleasure to meet you, finally )

Joe Frickin' Friday

Sorry to hear about p-butt, hoping for the best.

Made it from boulder to iowa city today. Expecte a deluge in Nebraska, but just got a bit of drizzle instead...however, also got the worst crosswinds i've ever had.

Was looking forward to a short 450-mile day to get home tomorrow, but just discovered my rear tire is down to the cords. :(. Looks like I'm waiting for Gina's to open tomorrow...

russell_bynum
Sorry to hear about p-butt, hoping for the best.

Made it from boulder to iowa city today. Expecte a deluge in Nebraska, but just got a bit of drizzle instead...however, also got the worst crosswinds i've ever had.

Was looking forward to a short 450-mile day to get home tomorrow, but just discovered my rear tire is down to the cords. :(. Looks like I'm waiting for Gina's to open tomorrow...

lol.

You shoulda stolen Lone_RT's spare.

Joe Frickin' Friday

lol.

You shoulda stolen Lone_RT's spare.

Was thinking same thing...good news is that Gina's is just 4 miles away; pretty sure i canget there. They open in 45 minutes; Hope to hell hey have what I need...

PhillyFlash

After all these years, some things just never change.

Bill_Walker

Torrey is notoriously hard on tires. I don't know why. :grin:

Lone_RT_rider

Torrey is notoriously hard on tires. I don't know why. :grin:

I personally think that the local and state governemt own's stock in all the major tire companies! It's a plan by the man! Those crazy roads are like sandpaper for pete's sake. :grin::rofl:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin Friday is home after riding through some of the stupidest weather ever devised by man. Slept long and hard last night, going out to breakfast shortly.

I think I'm still wet...

Back home yesterday after fighting ungodly crosswinds halfway through Nevada westward. Just for good measure, a weather front moved in across the Sierra passes late Wednesday afternoon, making crossing any of them (the ones that are open anyway) ill-advised.

So I stayed at the site of UnRally IX - The Topaz Lodge - for the night. Clear and cold across Luther Pass Thursday AM( Monitor Pass was closed overnight.)

Great trip. Capitol Reef NP was jaw-dropping. Fantastic scenery. Was surprised to speak to a number of Torrey participants that had never been in there, though had ridden hundreds of miles around the area. Fantastic place. After Torrey, we headed to Bryce Canyon, then Zion NP's. More jaw dropping scenery.

Gotta do this Torrey thing again (minus the snow and crosswinds o'course).

And a Thanks! to Whip and Mrs. Whip for taking the time and care to make up the t-shirts. Very nice.

Paul Mihalka

At home 30 minutes ago. Uneventful ride. Missed all the tornados, no rain, sunny all the way. To compensate for the snow storms in north Texas it was 100+. Who cares about lousy weather. The best part of Torrey is the people.

Really sorry reading about Kathy's misheps. Fast and complete healing and see you at the UN!!!

Ride tale later - maybe...

Final legs of trip home starts tomorrow, leaving Queen Creek, AZ. for Seattle. To make time I will be going through Southern Cal. and up I-5 (ick). :dopeslap:

Hello. I found this forum a couple months ago after I got my 1200RT and came to Vegas for a 3 year job.

We've been in SE MO for 20+ yrs, but am going to move to Casper, WY, after I retire, maybe after this project with any luck. That would still be within decent riding distance to Torrey.

Then last nite, as I was planning a little jaunt for this long Memorial Day weekend (I've got 4 days off) I figured I'd go up into that area some more - had been thru Zion etc a couple times but never much farther N/NE up into all those other parks. Apparently a busy area, tho, couldn't find a place to stay online. I'll just head up there and see if I get lucky and find something. Had wanted to make a 3 day Circle tour of the parks, but without lodging, probly not. Probly be kinda tough sleepin on the bike!

Had seen this post about Torrey and all the threads, then it clicked when I saw Torrey on my intended route.

Only about 1 decent day's ride from Vegas.

Thought I'd "raise my hand" and see if this is an exclusive club or is there room for another "old fart"?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

When does the fall event happen? I'd like to participate if the timing works out.

Thanks much!

Apparently a busy area, tho, couldn't find a place to stay online. I'll just head up there and see if I get lucky and find something.Thought I'd "raise my hand" and see if this is an exclusive club or is there room for another "old fart"?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

When does the fall event happen? I'd like to participate if the timing works out.

Thanks much!

Welcome, certainly room for more old farts in Torrey.

It's pretty busy here this weekend, I work at the visitor center and had a lot of people asking where to find lodging yesterday. Might be worth calling The Flute Shop, they had some small cabins available (435) 425-3144

You can always find out the Torrey schedule here http://www.bobpalin.com/howlongtotorrey.htm

Thanks!

Being I didn't have any place to stay when I struck out Sat AM, I did some exploring around the Zion back country incl up onto the Kolob Reservoir area - amazing scenery, then went thru the park again. By the time I got out of there it was 2:30 so just headed back to Vegas.

Of course, wall to wall people. Had to park in Springdale and take a shuttle in. With all the waiting & everything, it just took lots of time.

Got in that godawful wind on the way back, gusts up to over 50 mph and I was about 30 degrees off from heading directly into it. A few times I thought both me and the bike were literally going to become airborne.

I'll be better prepared next time, and will bookmark that link.

I did some research online about all the parks in the area and the various roads that connect them.

Found this site (altho it's likely you folks have seen this before, so "just in case")

http://www.utah.com/maps/

That one gives all kinds of maps to lots of places in UT.

If you clickon anyof the Nat'l Parks, it leads you to this

http://www.utah.com/maps/capitolreef/

and then if you click on the "National Parks" link, to this

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/

That's full of info on lodging, restaurants, all kinds of things

to see and to do at whatever park you choose to look at, along with

maps of the area around the park.

Home at 1:50 PM. Grayslake to Torrey to San Antonio to Grayslake = 4066 miles.

You need GPS. :wave:

Archived