IGNORED

Why does my air pump keep cutting off ?

FLrider

I purchased a portable air pump to use in the event of a flat tire. I've never had to use it but in anticipation of a ride to AL, I decided to check the air pressure in my tires and, sure enough, I needed to add air.

After connecting the pump to the powerlet and turning the key on to the power position, the pump "on" light came on. When I pressed the start switch, the pump turned off.

I plugged the pump into a car 12v outlet and the pump ran find.

I plugged the pump back into the powerlet, started the bike. The pump on light came on but when I pressed the start switch, the pump cut off.

What am I not understanding?

Afternoon FLrider

I presume this is on your 09RT? If so the power outlet on that bike is only rated at 10 amps max. Anything more than that and the ZFE module shuts the power outlet off until the key is cycled off then back on (kind of an electronic fuse if you will)

More than likely your pump draws more then 10 amps (especially at start up).

You will have to either run a pigtail directly to the battery to run your pump from or re-wire your bike’s power socket to have a direct fused battery connection therefore by-passing the ZFE module and it’s power supply limitations.

On my 09RT I have rewired the power socket to be direct-to-battery and fused at 15 amps and it operates my little 12volt tire pump just fine.

What DR said. Most run a fused SAE pig tail for battery tenders and also works fine fir high current air pump.

You will have to either run a pigtail directly to the battery to run your pump from or re-wire your bike’s power socket to have a direct fused battery connection therefore by-passing the ZFE module and it’s power supply limitations.

Well Thank you for that ! I'm going to go see if I have a pigtail laying around and give it a try...

Will report back...

Archived