IGNORED

Isle of Man TT 2011

CarrotNC

Only 5 more days before my flight leaves, and I'm having trouble sleeping! We arrive in time for the Pre-TT Classic and the Billown Circuit, and then practice week before the real races start. Heck, even signed up to be a race marshal since we're there so long.

Picking up bikes (BMW R1200GS Adventure, KTM 990 Adventure and Honda VFR 800 ABS) in Essex, England then catching a ride on the ferry at Liverpool over to the Isle of Man. We'd arranged a house rental almost a year in advance; the 100th anniversary of the mountain course will flood the island with other riders.

Should be a blast!

Have a great time - I wish I could make it there this year.

Be aware that there is no speed limit outside of the villages and towns but there are VERY strictly enforced limits in the villages. The queue to pay the fines are very, very long and the Manx police are persistent and will check the bikes going onto the return ferries.

Also watch out for German riders on the wrong side of the road (ie the right) - for some reason it always seems to be the Germans who forget...

Most of the fun is to be found in Douglas, but there is plenty to see all over the island - I have fantastic memories of spontaneous jam sessions in pubs in Peel.

Andy

Just remember one thing

Without pictures........... :lurk:

One of the guys has a GoPro Hero, so we'll have some onboard video. I picked up a new camera (Panasonic Lumix) for this trip too, plus 40GB of memory cards and three batteries. So far none of us are taking a laptop, thus no posting while on the Isle.

Coworker from the UK who's been several years in a row has been very generous with his local viewpoints, but he's not able to go this year. Figures; the one chance I get and my local guide bails out...

One of the best tips was to get an Ordnance Survey Landranger map of the Isle (map #95) and mark it up ahead of time. This map will end up framed on my wall after the trip!

Archived