IGNORED

Torrey rides...anyone got anything planned?

russell_bynum

russell_bynum

I'm trying to decide which bike(s) to bring.

I haven't had the Tuono out in the fun stuff in a while. But the dual sport rides around Torrey make the street rides look almost dull and mundane. (not really, but damn...even when I broke my ankle I still had a great time.)

Anyone got any plans?

Double-sweeper madness? (72-10-31)

Cathedral valley loop?

What's everyone thinking for a Saturday ride?

if your trailering, bring both, that is what I am doing for the UN. trailering up the R1200ST and the BMW450x. doing a couple days of street riding and a couple days fire roads. I may go over to hatfield and mccoy trail for one day. Long drive but might go there on saturday then come back over to the rally on sunday evening.

Dennis Andress

We're IN!! Got a room at the Chuckwagon too!! :clap:

I've had an itch to go to Moab for a couple of years now. But, the ride up to Huntington, and over the pass to Fairview, can be more fun than Sweaper Maddness. On the other hand, the ride we took with the Clampetts last year, down the 12 to the 89 and then up to Cedar Breaks, was all twisty road.

russell_bynum
Bring the T.

You can have my WR for Saturday.

L

That sounds like a plan.

Will prolly bring the T and Steven's PW50. Not sure how the PW will run at altitude, but I guess we'll find out.

I'm brining the RT for Spring Torrey as Killer has said the snow doesn't allow much in the mountains then.

I'll be brining the KTM Dual Sport in the Fall. Let's plan on a Dual Sport ride in the Fall.

Dennis Andress

... Not sure how the PW will run at altitude, but I guess we'll find out.

It's probably good that Steven learn this stuff at an early age...

russell_bynum

... Not sure how the PW will run at altitude, but I guess we'll find out.

It's probably good that Steven learn this stuff at an early age...

All he'll learn is that Daddy can't make is motorcycle work.

:dopeslap:

russell_bynum
Can Lisa get it running? :rofl:

Sure. All she has to do is tell me: "Get your son's motorcycle running OR ELSE!"

:grin:

Dennis Andress
Can Lisa get it running? :rofl:

Sure. All she has to do is tell me: "Get your son's motorcycle running OR ELSE!"

:grin:

Mommy can fix anything....

Just to let you guys know my situation, I will be working Thursday all day and Friday and Saturday 1-7 at the visitors center so I'm not planning on riding or leading dual sport tours this time around. It's also possible that I will be driving a 4wd tour of Cathedral Valley for one of the local outfitters on Wed or Sunday - CV is my favourite office!

Just to let you guys know my situation, I will be working Thursday all day and Friday and Saturday 1-7 at the visitors center so I'm not planning on riding or leading dual sport tours this time around. It's also possible that I will be driving a 4wd tour of Cathedral Valley for one of the local outfitters on Wed or Sunday - CV is my favourite office!

I'm sure the local clinics and hospitals are not happy to hear this. I heard that, based on previous Torreys, they put on extra staff to handle all the cases you send them as a result of your dirt rides. :lurk:

russell_bynum

I'm sure the local clinics and hospitals are not happy to hear this. I heard that, based on previous Torreys, they put on extra staff to handle all the cases you send them as a result of your dirt rides. :lurk:

I heard Bob is single-handedly responsible for keeping three local hospitals and the air ambulance crew in business.

I might be game for a dualsport ride on Whip's WR...but I'll need someone who knows the way to lead.

I heard Bob is single-handedly responsible for keeping three local hospitals and the air ambulance crew in business.

I might be game for a dualsport ride on Whip's WR...but I'll need someone who knows the way to lead.

Though I wasn't leading this ride you might want to read it before you ride with me.

lawnchairboy

still can't figure out why that cop didn't stop you on the turn back onto 12 on the way back.... oh, maybe it was because you were at Mach 15 already :)

Dennis Andress
still can't figure out why that cop didn't stop you on the turn back onto 12 on the way back.... oh, maybe it was because you were at Mach 15 already :)

:Cool::Cool::Cool:

russell_bynum

Though I wasn't leading this ride you might want to read it before you ride with me.

I ain't skeert. The last one I did was the "fall" torrey where Jan tried to turn his tib-fib into a pretzel. Before that was the one where Wurty led us into deep peanut-butter mud, I broke my ankle, and we had to leave Lisa's bike stranded on the mountain with the clutch roasted and the countersproket cover so full of mud and rocks that the bike wouldn't move.

Tell me again why I think this is fun? :dopeslap:

Bill_Walker

Pick up a selection of carb jets before you go.

Bill_Walker

Working? Somebody has obviously hacked into Bob's BMWST account.

russell_bynum

Pick up a selection of carb jets before you go.

Not worth it. Most likely he'll ride for 10 minutes and then lose interest...want to go lick a tree or fill a cup up with dirt or something. My rule is that I don't spend more time tinkering that he'll spend riding.

If it runs, he can ride it until he loses interest or the plug fouls...which ever comes first.

I don't know what anyone else did today, but John and I went out to the Burr Trail to the outlook. John likes to take a lot of photos. And we also stopped at a gorge or something which goes back into the mountain. Very scenic. We hiked back into it a bit, and it ended. I don't know what it's called. A draw?

dc

DSCF1844.jpgDSCF1864.jpgDSCF1871.jpg

Weather was perfect. But rain scheduled for tomorrow. Draw, no I mean the name of the canyon or wash or whatever, Joe. Someone said it was a slot? canyon. I forgot already.

dc

Nice shots David. The Burr Trail is positively one of the most beautiful canyons I have ever seen and it's pretty deserted. You almost feel like it's you and the world when you are down in there!

You got it right...Slot canyons. They too are pretty amazing. I did a bit of hiking there and saw lots of desert wildlife, as in lizards and birds and bugs. I also saw someone with an easel set up doing some painting. It was pretty cool.

Here are some pics I took when David and I rode the Burr Trail. We rode straight thru to the overlook, then took our time coming back, taking some pics. Although the liners I wore kept me warm at 9k ft and 60mph on 12, I was starting to get over heated in the sun on the trail and had to shed them.

These 3 from the Hill and Hollows Mart:

135112235.jpg

135112323.jpg

135112340.jpg

The next ones are from the overlook on Burr Trail:

135112342.jpg

135112383.jpg

135112415.jpg

135112458.jpg

135112471.jpg

135112476.jpg

135112478.jpg

These next ones are on the way back up the Trail:

135112504.jpg

135112509.jpg

135112511.jpg

135112549.jpg

135112579.jpg

135112586.jpg

135112599.jpg

135112654.jpg

Here is the big crack we explored:

135112693.jpg

135112698.jpg

135112737.jpg

And a view of Burr Trail from above:

135112757.jpg

And one from on the road back from Burr Trail:

135112763.jpg

Thanks John, very good photos.

You should have told me to smile or something. I look very unhappy in that first photo, which I was not. It was really a very pleasant ride out there.

We went out to Lookout Point, 16 miles out.

We talked to those two ladies about where the road went, etc. They went further out but came back quite soon.

We should have gone to the end of the paved part, but I was ready for lunch.

dc

I've been asking around and it seems "the big crack" doesn't actually have a name! Maybe a contest is in order...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing them, John!

Bob, I kinda like the name "The Big Crack." Just sayin'. :grin:

I have found a painting of it entitled "Burr Trail Hide Away", painted from the inside looking out.

And I did see a trip advisor that called it Long Fork slot canyon.

Another calls it Groove Barrel. So, there may be names out there. I don't know if there is a official name, or who would set one if there was.

dc

Archived