IGNORED

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Mr. Frank

Yes, great but expensive.

I used to always run BT20s. Have done about 1000 miles on PR3s and they really inspire confidence.

I've not used them in rain yet though and can't say anything about how many miles they'll do.

Cheers

Phil

ellaguru2u

I have a set on. Only done about 500 miles so far but they seem good. I had PR2's on before and they were excellent. The Michelin rep reckoned they would last longer than the PR2's ... bet then he would say that wouldn't he.

Hi Frank,

I'm not that sophisticated in how I assess my tyres and there's not too many straight bits of road around here. Just thinking back though I met a couple of friends in a local town and we went down about 6 miles of the old A1 which is now a link road after they built the new highway. I led and the others said they could hardly keep up. The bike just went were I pointed it, counter steered nice and felt planted to the road.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers

Phil

Anybody running PR 3's yet? What do you think?

I've been running them for two months now.

I think I won't run anything else until they come out with PR4s or someone else matches the technology.

Mine cost under $300 for the pair, shipped (Dennis Kirk matched another online vendor) and mount and balance by a local shop.

So have any of you guys running PR3's run PR2's before?

If so, are these tyres quieter, and have they stopped the awful vibration that the PR2's put through the bike?

Andy

I've been a big fan of the original Pilot Roads for many years. I even stuck with them when the PR2 came out. Like your motorways in Britain, we have interstates with lots of truck traffic which creates turbulence. I've tried the Metzeler Z6, Dunlop Roadsmart, and Avon Storm. For my taste all are too sensitive to rider input and wind turbulence. For a sport rider such sensitivity would probably be desired. As a long distance touring rider I like a tire that is stable going straight. The rounded profile of the original Pilot Road did that. My concern is the new PR3 is a bit twitchy. One review I saw said it falls into curves quickly.

Frank,

My experience is that they are not at all twitchy. I'd say they are nice and stable.

Andy,

You're on your 3rd set of PR2s, if the vibration is that bad why did you buy the second and third set?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil, a simple matter of economics. These PR2's grip beautifully, they are excellent in most areas. Thet are by far the best wearing tyres I have used in years and so even though they cost more than a lot of the competition, they last longer and still feel pretty good even whe at the end of their life - making them cheaper. It is just the dreaded vibration thatstarts from 1500miles usage onwards when the bike is at anything other than dead upright. In a straight line they are silky smooth. It is made wore by use of a pillion passanger, so we tried altering tyre pressures up & down...no difference. So I stick with them.

Andy

Archived