IGNORED

Ilium Works Highway Peg Installation JOB$ -RT- NYC

Greetings. Haha please don't judge me...Yes, I would like to hire someone to put on a set of highway pegs (on my 2009 R1200RT). The fabulous tupperware dance that I'm apparently neither prepared nor qualified to do. I have a few pizzerias in North Brooklyn...can pay you in cash and pizza! It's excellent I promise. I realize I may be looking for a unicorn with this post. Not sure how it is in the rest of the world, but at BMW Manhattan (and both Bobs BMW - NY & NH), any parts they put on your bike have to be ordered through them. And that's if they can/will get it, and of course at what cost. I understand this new policy, as far as guarantees & liability go, just leaves people like me in a bit of a tight spot. I would normally 'just go for it', but of course, this mentality does not apply to the RT. Anyway...

Thanks.

Not sure if this helps your situation or not, but on my my 05 Rt (should be same as your 09) I did not have to pull the topperware.

You can sneak in the pegs by simply removing 3 or so bolts ( on each side) that secures the bottom of the fairing to the frame. Leaving topperware in place but you need to o so lightly pull it away from the frame.

If I would be in NY I would do it for a pizza or just for the fun of it.

Sustengo is right - you don't need to pull the tupperware but it really doesn't take too long maybe an hour or so - not much different than my old 1150. There are some here who think I have a problem with highway pegs (a guy puts a set...or two...or three...on his bike & all of a sudden he's got a "problem" :/ )

If you don't get a taker in the next couple of weeks, let me know & I'll come down and do it for you. My son lives in Brooklyn so I can visit him too. Just can't get down until after the Minuteman1000.

If you do it yourself, then before you take out the frame bolt that pins the rear of the Ilium bar to the bike, use a torque wrench to find the current torque value. I couldn't find it in any of my manuals.

BTW, I've got a set of Iliums for an R1200RT looking for a new bike to live on. Recently replaced them with a set of Mick-o-Pegs.

I'm a couple hour ride from you, so I couldn't take you up on the pizza, but I'd be happy to install the Iliums if you want to take a ride!

I'm no mechanical whizz, and I managed also to put on my Iliums by just removing the bottom tupper screws and slipping on underneath. Was not able to get a good torque reading on reinstallation of frame bolt, but after several months of riding everything has held together....so far.

Jack Herbst

I had my Illiums installed at dealer as I wanted to check a couple other things. I removed my Elf Pegs and sold them. I like the Illiums better.

Jack

Thank you kindly for your time and offers!

Prob gonna go with Mick-O instead. Think I can handle that Digger? Or maybe I'll try you if I'm having "problems" :)

Thank you kindly for your time and offers!

Prob gonna go with Mick-O instead. Think I can handle that Digger? Or maybe I'll try you if I'm having "problems" :)

LOL! Actually the Mick-Os were a bit harder to put on. The Iliums just have the 2 bolts...the Mick-Os use 2 of the valve cover bolts but you have to get the rubber "washer" off of them to get the bolt thru the peg mount and then back on. The "off" was a bitch on the first one but by the 4th bolt I could get it off in 30 seconds (the first took several minutes with Rocks & a handful of other tech heads watching me flail away with a screwdriver & ice pick). No issues since & I do love them.
AdirondackJack

Uberjam-

I would highly advise that you not use any highway pegs that utilize the head bolts (neither mick-0-pegs or eagle talons). I made the mistake of doing that and paid the price on my RT. Definitely the Illiumworks pegs. I moved to those and never looked back. Come on up to Americade in the next few weeks (I'm near Albany), or I'll find an excuse to come down and wrench them on for you (simple 20 minute job per side- no great shakes). No charge, not even pizza. that's what we are all about on this forum-All for one, and one for all!

Dave R.

• 6 months later...

Archived