IGNORED

11RT headlight bulb retainer repair?

Pbrokaw

Hey all:

In my zeal to install the 80 watt PIAA bulb I had for my RT i discovered the plastic socket the base of the bulb sits in with the wire bail retainer is broken. The electrical socket is fine just the wire bail's attachment point where it pivots on is crumbled and broken,I am guessing from heat and age.Does someone make a replacement socket I can epoxy to the back of the reflector assembly to repair my headlight? I did a google search and found nothing, thought I would ask here...

thanks

Perry

it's the wire bale assembly that holds the headlight bulb to the reflector assembly.I would give you a picture but I did not take any yet of the broken part (it's the white base on the back of the reflector.

Perry

Afternoon Perry

Seeing as you are installing an 80 watt bulb you are going to either need to make a rivet-on metal clip for that bail to pivot in or find another similar light using the same based bulb & try to rivet or screw that base on your housing. I seriously doubt any type of epoxy or glue will withstand the heat of that 80 watt bulb for very long.

I put an H-4 based bulb in an old Honda by drilling 3 small screw holes though the bulb base and through the socket metal then just attached the bulb using the 3 screws.

Brant Herbert

I broke mine shortly after I got the bike new, not knowing how exactly the bale clips released, I pulled wrong and snapped it at the socket end opposite the wire tabs (sounds like the same place yours broke). I ended up pulling the front mask to the bench, then did a repair using JBWeld, building up the broken area using toothpicks and such to keep the required areas open for the clip to go back in. It's held up well for 100k+ miles.

Guys,thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.

Brant;

How hard is it to pull off the front mask? I have removed the side tupperware so many times I can do it blindfolded.The dash plastic is fairly easy too. The front piece however...I have not yet tackeled removing it yet. Any tips or special tools needed for it?????

I found a 3mm T handle is super for the allen heads and it speeds thing along for all of those zillion screws.

Thanks

Perry

Brant Herbert

How hard is it to pull off the front mask? I have removed the side tupperware so many times I can do it blindfolded.The dash plastic is fairly easy too. The front piece however...I have not yet tackeled removing it yet. Any tips or special tools needed for it?????

Not hard, just the usual screws, but there are a few hidden ones reached once you undo the dash and pull it back. I think there was a recent post elsewhere where someone detailed all the places they were located.

Found the reference: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=694965#Post694965

Archived