IGNORED

SignalMinder feedback please

DallasR1100RT

DallasR1100RT

I am considering installing a SignalMinder and wondered if anyone could provide me some pro/con for this mod?

Thanks

Mark

russell_bynum

We have one on Lisa's R1100RS. It works, I suppose. Turn the signal on and it turns off after a while on it's own.

I never really had a problem turning my signals off manually, and I rarely use the turn signals anyway, but if that's what you want, then it'll work.

It also lets you turn the hazard flashers on by pressing both signal buttons at once. That's nice...more convenient than having to reach up and press the switch on the dash.

Installation is pretty much plug and play, if I remember correctly. I seem to recall that you can wire it up with the brake light so that the signal canceler thing doesn't kick in until after you release the brakes. I didn't bother with that.

No cons that I can think of.

I like this upgrade. It was the first gadget I added to my bike went I acquired it about year ago. I use signals all the time and found the stock signal cancel switch really awkward. The SignalMinder installed and works exactly as described. I even hooked up the brake light jumper which keeps the signals on during a stop.

You get my vote for the signal minder also!!!! I bought mine from ebay $97 shipped to door.

The only con with it seems to be the price of the unit.It works great,and I am really happy with the purchase. The stock cancel button on the RT sucks and is awkward .

just my 2 cents worth

Perry

Wanna buy one? I've had one sitting on my work bench for at least two years. Its about as new as you can get. It caused a buzzing/hum in my intercom system (I blame the intercom system not the Signal Minder), so it was only installed for one commute.

have one on the rt works great, hook it up to brake light or can get annoying as signals will keep shutting off at stops.

Would not run an oilhead w/out one.

Signal cancel a big plus and running lights/brake enchancement if desired.

Carry a copy of the reprogramming patterns with you, just in case.

Peter Parts

Read old reviews of the Oilheads and you'll often read how awful they think the turnsignal drill is. Yup.

Pretty well designed gizmo and addresses most of the ergo madness of stock design. But the company is one of the few who has ever been "duplicitous" in business dealings with me.

Ben

Pretty well designed gizmo and addresses most of the ergo madness of stock design.

I love the Ergo set up on my 1150, and was really saddened that they had succumbed to the 'typical' single sided operation for the 2010 R1200RT.

Wanna buy one? .

Grrr, it's a shame I live on the other side of the pond, as I'd have bitten your hand off for it.

Andy

One of the best farkles on the bike! Only complaint and really not one is that the directionals cancel too quickly at a light but that is because of the long lights we have in NY and is another subject completely. So, Now that I have another C with a S/car, I am lost w/o the SM-5 that is installed on it's sister C.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kieth I may take you up on your offer if no one has done so yet!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping the signal lights on all of the time is a nice safety feature that I am surprised no one has mentioned! I keep mine on the brightest setting.

Bob

Kieth I may take you up on your offer if no one has done so yet!

You are presently #3 on the list. I didn't realize how popular these were or I would have unloaded it long ago.

I put one on my new '04 RT and not only can you adjust the amount of time you want the turn signals to run, but you can also make your turn signals run as running lights - at half brightness, full brightness, or normal.

I run the turn signals on full bright during the day so motorists can see me be better and at half bright at night. It lights up the corners of your bike nice.

I give them a thumbs up and I've been running them for eight years.

Product works as advertised, which is great until you install and realize you don't like what they do - take over control of the turn signals. After 30 minutes of riding, I un-installed and returned. I thought it would be a good safety measure having the signals on as running lights for added conspicuity, but it also activates the turn signal indicators in the dash - which sucks. I thought I would like them cancelling turn indicators automatically, but sometimes you're sitting there 30 seconds, and other times nearly 5 minutes - resulting in the turn signals being on or off at inappropriate times. I am accustomed to activating turn signal, then maybe pressing the button again a few minutes later to be sure its on, but with SignalMinder the second press deactivates the signal (if it was still on; otherwise, it turns it off) - which means you never really know what they're doing without looking down at the dash. I'd rather have complete control (like stock), than half control with the dash constantly lit-up (extra crappy at night). Additionally, since I have Muth signal mirrors, they were lit too - so that subtracted even further from the SignalMinder experience. My advice... save the money and hassle for something else.

Another fan here for the signal minder. Before I installed mine I always was the guy on the big blue bike with his turn signal on for miles and miles and miles :)

Product works as advertised, which is great until you install and realize you don't like what they do - take over control of the turn signals. After 30 minutes of riding, I un-installed and returned. I thought it would be a good safety measure having the signals on as running lights for added conspicuity, but it also activates the turn signal indicators in the dash - which sucks. I thought I would like them cancelling turn indicators automatically, but sometimes you're sitting there 30 seconds, and other times nearly 5 minutes - resulting in the turn signals being on or off at inappropriate times. I am accustomed to activating turn signal, then maybe pressing the button again a few minutes later to be sure its on, but with SignalMinder the second press deactivates the signal (if it was still on; otherwise, it turns it off) - which means you never really know what they're doing without looking down at the dash. I'd rather have complete control (like stock), than half control with the dash constantly lit-up (extra crappy at night). Additionally, since I have Muth signal mirrors, they were lit too - so that subtracted even further from the SignalMinder experience. My advice... save the money and hassle for something else.

One man likes Bach, another Pop, I guess I like em for all the reasons you don't.

This could become an electronic (Gasp!!) oil thread!!

Peter Parts

The essential problem is that, like Samuel Morse who started with just "on" and "off" (but did some very clever invention from that point on), you have too few ways to communicate your wishes to the turn signal mechanism with the Oilhead switches: momentary left, momentary right, both together. That's it.

Ben

I have to add my thumbs up for the Signal Minder. Now, if I could just figure out why my turn signals quit working altogether. I have 2 signal minders, one brand new. The circuit behaves the same with either one: All lights come on when the cycle is powered on. None flash, none go out. Even when I shut the bike down. Disconnect the signal minder, lights go out.

Who has the pinout list for the connector? I must have shorted something, such that battery power gets there when the ignition is off.

Archived