IGNORED

Mesh Overpants Recommendations

moshe_levy

moshe_levy

All-

I think after 5 years my Firstgear Meshtex pants are due for replacement. I'm interested in the group's thoughts as to the best mesh or summer overpants from personal experience. I do not mind spending more for good quality and armor. Any thoughts appreciated.

-MKL

moshe_levy

Forgot to mention: I'm looking at the Aerostich Darrien Lights, as well as Olympia, and if neither tickles my fancy back to Firstgear. Any personal experiences?

-MKL

Afternoon MKL

In my book mesh overpants kind of defeats the mesh part.

In any case I have been extremely happy with the regular Firstgear Meshtex pants. I wear them extensively in the summer for off-road riding and day trips. In fact I have 3 sets to switch around as they get dirt covered and mudded up. I have taken some fairly hard get-offs at speed and they do their job well (at least in the dirt and gravel)

I have worn some of those high tec bicycle breathable undies under them in cooler weather but never over something heavy like jeans or dress pants.

moshe_levy

DR-

I often commute, so for me overpants are a must. I need to be able to get to work and stow the MC gear on the bike and come in not looking like a road warrior.

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I don't much care for my FG HT Air Overpants. Not much protection there at all.

Bought some Fieldsheer mesh pants on ADV and wear them over my slacks to work as long as it's above 45 degrees F. Not sure what product they correspond to now though.

Saving pennies for Motoport kevlar pants next year.

moshe_levy

Those look interesting, yet are wildly expensive. Wonder why, specifically. Will research further...

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Those look interesting, yet are wildly expensive. Wonder why, specifically. Will research further...

-MKL

10% off if you mention st-owners.org for another week or three.

Check out their abrasion study data. 7 year warranty. If you go down and they can't repair, they replace.

I have the Olympia Airglide in black. After trying on several other overpants, these had the best fit (though not quite as trim looking as their models show on their web site). All the others I tried were so bulky so when I first put these on I knew they were the ones. I wear these year round. Like you, I sometimes commute to work 35 miles each way and they are easy to put on and take off. I'm 6'2" 215 lbs. and I have a 36" waist. The 36" waist size is what fits me well - no need to go up a size. These are sized as overpants. I like the black because they don't show the dirt but they also make a gray and a silver, which would be a bit cooler in summer. I actually considered getting another pair in the lighter color but after 4 years these are still holding up like new and I can't justify spending money on a duplicate pair. I'd definitely buy these again as they are a good value for the money IMHO. When it comes to pants, I have to try them on and for that reason I always buy them from a local shop or at least one that has inventory.

Forgot to add: My brother has the Motoport Kevlar jean pants and he apparently likes them. I'm not so sure how cool they are and they are not overpants. I'll ask him if I get a chance. They look like they'd survive a crash with no problem. FWIW

Susan has the three season Olympia pants and loves them. I have an aging pair of the First Gear Meshtex and, while they don't provide a lot of protection, they are cooler and have more padding then jeans. I have a good friend who picked up the Motoport set up and loves them. I have my sizes on file with Motoport and plan to order a set soon. They are expensive, but seem to be very good protection, dry incredibly fast, and are custom fit. The custom fit is a good thing for those built like trolls (me). Getting things that fit is always an issue.

They are expensive , I got them because I have a very short inseam and off the rack pants just do not fit. The armor always ends up in the wrong place. Motoport gives measuring instructions so you can essentially have them custom made. I have ridden 3 seasons with them and I love them.

+ 1 for the Motoport pants. I have had mine for 6 years now and the jacket for 3. No other brand has the protection in mesh that these do. They have been legal for all the different track days I have done and all levels of Keith Code.

I have the opposite problem as John, my inseam is too long for most off the shelf pants. The only exception is First Gear and BMW because they offer tall sizes. I have a pair of First Gear and two pairs of BMW pants that have served me pretty well, but next time I am going to treat myself to Motoport.

The only off the shelf pants I have that fit me perfect and have armor that I feel good about are the BMW Summer 2 pants. I wear them every chance I get, but that isn't that often because they don't really work as overpants and then I also need to carry rain gear because water goes right through them.

First Gear HT Air because they come in tAll sizes.

Motoport has an excellent reputation.

Olympia hard to beat for the bucks.

I was on of the first ( I think around number 5) to get the motoport air pants and jaket. I ordered two pair, one for me and one for my wife. Both are now around 8 years old and still like new. I sent my pants in for some velcro update and some minor changes that they have made in design in 8 years.

why so expensive

made in america I have been to the actual shop in San Diego

quality material, the kevlar material is not everywhere, they buy theirs from I think sweden.

Repairable

updateable

best protection/air flow on the market. R&D costs money

moshe_levy

Hmmm... Just called Motoport. I need to get over the cost (almost $600 before a liner's included, all armored up) before pulling the trigger, but as I said I'm willing to pay for quality which apparently this garment has.

-MKL

moshe_levy

Done. Air Kevlar Mesh is on order - should be here in 6 weeks. Surely I'll review them for MCN once they come in. I got the full boat re any avalable armor upgrade packages. These had better be good for this price!!

-MKL

Done. Air Kevlar Mesh is on order - should be here in 6 weeks. Surely I'll review them for MCN once they come in. I got the full boat re any avalable armor upgrade packages. These had better be good for this price!!

-MKL

:grin::lurk:

I was wearing a pair of FG mesh overpants when mugged by a deer 3 years ago. I slid about 100 feet on asphalt. All things considered, the pants held up well, and I had zero road rash. I replaced them with a pair of FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Overpants, which are available in both short and tall options.

-MKL

Cool. Pants with a tax deduction. :thumbsup:

-MKL

Wish I'd seen this sooner..I have the Motoport and have used them for years and although they are cool and offer exceptional protection I would not buy them again. They are stiff and will be difficult for you to store and the mesh is hard on my butt on my Corbin seat but that's prolly because when it's hot I don't wear any pants underneath.....When you go down you'll be glad to have them though.

bakerzdosen

-MKL

Yeow. 6 weeks.

I've never heard a negative thing about Motoport (other than sticker shock from those considering them) so I think you'll be safe in that regard...

They're definitely on my short list for "some day" when I need a new pair.

Edit: Oops, I guess I spoke too soon... :)

moshe_levy

The overpants are my last piece in my premium gear puzzle. Ever since donning a BMW Airshell, I have become sold on the idea of buying premium gear. The tangible quality of my Airshell vs. my previous midline brand is immediately obvious and motivated me to revamp my other gear slowly as it wore to include all-premium garments. My FG mesh pants, after 4 years of heavy use, are now loose-feeling with give in the stitching that is not exactly confidence inspiring. I am looking forward to the new pants, and yes, it's quoted at 6 weeks, and I'm really expecting longer. It is the beginning of riding season, after all, and the vendors are suitably busy as a result.

-MKL

but that's prolly because when it's hot I don't wear any pants underneath.....

Somehow I get the creeps when I get a mental picture of this. You don't have chaps too do you?

A couple of items

Moto port customer service is very slow good people but slow. husband and wife team. If you could combine motoport quality with aerostitch customer service you would have a killer company

yes they are very stiff at first. after 8 months of daily commuting in them, countless days of hot, cold, rain sunshine, and multiple washings, they are very nice now. Still as noted above they never get "soft" flexible yes, soft no

Remember I bought two pair OUCH, but long after the bank account was replinshed, the pants have been awesome. I gained 50lbs, I sent them in, and a few weeks later, a little extra material here little redesign there and they continued to be my daily pants.

I am now working to lose 70lbs. I am 1/2 there at 35lbs lost. Another 20lbs and I will send them in again for a redo and I expect to wear these pants for another 8 years.

Overall 600.00+ dollars for a pair of pants that will last around 15 years and be altered three times and protect and flow air for Atlanta humidity, in my opinion, is pretty high value.

I have gone back to the Stich Darien pants because I found that the mesh pants let in too much engine heat.

A couple of items

Moto port customer service is very slow good people but slow. husband and wife team. If you could combine motoport quality with aerostitch customer service you would have a killer company

yes they are very stiff at first. after 8 months of daily commuting in them, countless days of hot, cold, rain sunshine, and multiple washings, they are very nice now. Still as noted above they never get "soft" flexible yes, soft no

Remember I bought two pair OUCH,but long after the bank account was replinshed, the pants have been awesome. I gained 50lbs, I sent them in, and a few weeks later, a little extra material here little redesign there and they continued to be my daily pants.

I am now working to lose 70lbs. I am 1/2 there at 35lbs lost. Another 20lbs and I will send them in again for a redo and I expect to wear these pants for another 8 years.

Overall 600.00+ dollars for a pair of pants that will last around 15 years and be altered three times and protect and flow air for Atlanta humidity, in my opinion, is pretty high value.

It's funny how that works. When you spend a bit more for quality you rarely remember the pain in the pocketbook. But when you don't spend enough and get junk, you are reminded daily.

Matts_12GS

I commute on my bike most days and even in the thick of summer I wear my Olympia Stealth mesh 1 piece suit. It's gone about 30,000 miles in the last 3 years, and while the high viz is a little dirtier than new, the suit is still comfortable I feel as safe as it was when I bought it. I may look at an armor upgrade to see if I can get one, but otherwise, it's been some of the best gear I've bought.

• 1 month later...

So the new Motoports arrived yesterday. Fit's a little off, so they need to go back for adjustment. The belt measures 32" though my waist is 34", and the armor for the rear tailbone is located such that I'm actually sitting on it as I ride. Will have more thoughts when it's returned, but quality looks pretty good and materials have a heavy duty feel to them - a premium feel lacking in the usual FG and other second tier garments.

-MKL

I've had Motoport mesh Kevlar pants and jacket for five years and wouldn't ride with anything else. Best protection possible and their layering system ensures waterproof and warm riding when needed

Archived