IGNORED

What kind of steel is the frame made of.

don_k

On my R1100 RT there is a small sub-frame part attached to the back of the frame and includes the two vertical supports for the aft end of the luggage rack. Both vertical supports have broken off. I plan to weld it back together but am unsure if it's stainless steel or just steel. A magnet is attracted to it so I know it's not aluminum but there are places where the paint has worn off and there is no rust on it. It would seem a bit unlikely to me (but what do I know) that the frame of the bike would have been made of stainless steel (because of the cost, but then again it is a BMW) but not impossible.

Does anyone know for sure what kind of steel the frames are made of?

Thanks,

Don

It is made of welded mild-steel tubing - you can see the internal seam on the tube if you look. When I got mine welded, I inserted a length of 10mm mild-steel bar into both parts and had to notch the bar to fit the seam.

Andy

Yep, I saw the seam. I made some 2 1/2 or 3 inch inserts from solid steel bar and had to notch them for the seam.

I suppose the exposed bare metal didn't rust because what ever rubbed the paint off was pressing hard enough to keep moisture out then.

Thanks for the input, nice to know I don't have to go buy a tank of tri-mix and stainless wire to weld it up.

DOn

Archived