IGNORED

Dead RT, advice, options, and shopping for a replacement

OoPEZoO

Lone_RT_rider
Wow this is heavy!! I normally find questions like" which oil to use" or" will the dealer warranty my final drive failure!"

Its amazing where some of the threads take us ..

Thank god it's not a Nitrogen thread or anything. :)

I try to keep those short.

:)

C'mon now.. We know Nitrogen is the greatest thing in the world since sliced bread ;-)

I put it up there with the wheel and the GPS, too!

Jerry in Monument
C'mon now.. We know Nitrogen is the greatest thing in the world since sliced bread ;-)

I put it up there with the wheel and the GPS, too!

Unless you get Nitrogen Narcosis. Or the bends.

Then nitrogen sucks.

Paul Mihalka

"Live life like every day's your last. Just saying :) "

Nope. Every day is the first day of the rest of your life.

If this was my last day, I'd start smoking again. Oh, and eating a bacon and cheese sandwich. Might even call Pam Anderson and see what she's doing. ;)

---

Right now the legitimate front runners in no particular order are

1150GSA

1200GS

1200GSA

1200ST

Triumph Sprint ST

Triumph Sprint GT

Put the Triumph Tiger on your list as well. 1050s with low mileage can be had at a bargain.

Right now the legitimate front runners in no particular order are

1150GSA

1200GS

1200GSA

1200ST

Triumph Sprint ST

Triumph Sprint GT

Put the Triumph Tiger on your list as well. 1050s with low mileage can be had at a bargain.

Nope.....the Tiger was dropped long ago. I always like the way they look, and I love the motor, but sitting on one always kills it for me. Something about the Tiger just isn't right for me.

List is down to either a R1200RT or a R1200GS, and the more I think about it, the more I think its going to be the GS.

Matts_12GS

Sounds great on paper........in reality it just leaves you jobless, really deep in debt, and with a pissed off wife. If you're dead tomorrow thats fine, but I need to plan a little further out :grin:

You just haven't been married long enough to fully appreciate it. :rofl: You'll find out why men die before their wives...

They want to!!

Go ride the GS and then start shopping for one. Foot and I will help you farkle it.

I have a boss that it seems like every day is his first day :( I know we've talked about it over the weekend, but the Yamaha S10 should be on the list. Not sure how the timeline is going to be with this bike, but I think it's a strong contender. That Tiger 800 was a blast to ride. I'm not sure, seatwise, how it would do against the big GS with 2 up, but it is somewhat the same configuration. I just wasn't feeling it in the suspension dept. Well, actually I was feeling it... every bump. We need to demo some more bikes!!!

I have a boss that it seems like every day is his first day :( I know we've talked about it over the weekend, but the Yamaha S10 should be on the list. Not sure how the timeline is going to be with this bike, but I think it's a strong contender. That Tiger 800 was a blast to ride. I'm not sure, seatwise, how it would do against the big GS with 2 up, but it is somewhat the same configuration. I just wasn't feeling it in the suspension dept. Well, actually I was feeling it... every bump. We need to demo some more bikes!!!

I guess I can't rule out the S10 (that still makes me laugh.....makes me think of an '89 Chevy pickup), but I would want some serious seat time on one before I even considered it. I'm not willing to put a deposit down on a bike that I've never seen in person or ridden. Not to mention all of the farkles will be through the roof because they will all be brand new to the market. At least with the GS, I can pick and choose through the classifieds to pick up used stuff.

I don't know, if I can ride one before I find a nice GS to buy.......then maybe, but I doubt it.

what about the suzuki v-strom?

The little one wouldn't handle 2-up touring for us. The big one doesn't have ABS, gets horrible gas mileage, and eats rear tires. No thanks.

Lone_RT_rider

The little one wouldn't handle 2-up touring for us. The big one doesn't have ABS, gets horrible gas mileage, and eats rear tires. No thanks.

Keith,

Take this for what it's worth with my riding style, but just a heads up when it comes to R1200RT tire life. When I put my beloved Avon's on the R1200RT the rear one wore out in 3500 miles. The R1100RT would commonly get between 5500 and 6000 on the same tire, riding conditions and style. Using that extra 20 hp comes with a price sometimes. Just an FYI. YMMV.... literally. lol.

Paul Mihalka

Talking tires, just because it might influence Keith's bike pick. Tim, it depends a bit on the hand on the throttle. Also I think you ride a lot two-up. Most of us ride less intensive with passenger than solo. Passenger weight does not make a lot of difference. While traveling the biggest power/tire consumer is air resistance. Also I read, and it makes sense to me, that with more weight on the rear wheel continuous slippage, which is the cause of wear, is less. Generally GS bikes are lousy tire and gas consumers at highway speeds - terrible aerodynamics. OTOH I found that good GS tires like Metzeler Tourance and Michelin Anakee II get pretty decent mileage.

Keith,

Take this for what it's worth with my riding style, but just a heads up when it comes to R1200RT tire life. When I put my beloved Avon's on the R1200RT the rear one wore out in 3500 miles. The R1100RT would commonly get between 5500 and 6000 on the same tire, riding conditions and style. Using that extra 20 hp comes with a price sometimes. Just an FYI. YMMV.... literally. lol.

So thats another + for the GS :grin:

Go for the GS... (but in defense of the Yami, it has received some pretty good reviews (from legit magazines, not fluff pieces) and it seems it may actually be better off-road.

But.. it ain't a BMW.

Keith,

So thats another + for the GS :grin:

I changed both tires just before the BRR

and they had 17k on them. I guess my riding style is

pretty normal.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I guess we're pretty well matched. after I got back from Wisconsin last August, my rear tire was done - after about 4000 miles (the front still had plenty of tread left). LIke you, I used to get about 6000 on a set of tires on the 1100RT, and front+rear tended to run out of tread at about the same time.

Lone_RT_rider

I guess we're pretty well matched. after I got back from Wisconsin last August, my rear tire was done - after about 4000 miles (the front still had plenty of tread left). LIke you, I used to get about 6000 on a set of tires on the 1100RT, and front+rear tended to run out of tread at about the same time.

hijack

Yeah, I have managed to get about 6K out of the PR2's on the R12RT. Last time we did Torrey in 2007 I trashed a set of PR originals in around 5,500 miles. I have a fresh set of PR2's mounted for this Spring Torrey. It's going to be close folks. Stay tuned....lol.

/hijack

Uncle Beemer

hijack

Yeah, I have managed to get about 6K out of the PR2's on the R12RT. Last time we did Torrey in 2007 I trashed a set of PR originals in around 5,500 miles. I have a fresh set of PR2's mounted for this Spring Torrey. It's going to be close folks. Stay tuned....lol.

/hijack

Just bought my first set of PR 2's. Anxiously waiting on the end results.

I don't know what to say, I got 11,000 out of a set of PR2's (B fitment). That is a front and rear. The front was gone, but the rear still had a couple of thousand miles left in it.

You're sure getting a lot of mileage out of this thread....

Yeah, and we haven't even brought up the brand of oil he was running yet! :D

Just fun to shop with other peoples money I guess.

Pat

You're sure getting a lot of mileage out of this thread....

Yeah, and we haven't even brought up the brand of oil he was running yet! :D

Just fun to shop with other peoples money I guess.

Pat

These things take oil???? :lurk:

List is down to either a R1200RT or a R1200GS, and the more I think about it, the more I think its going to be the GS.

Sorry your BRR trip got futzed, Keith. As for ideal replacement, given the roads you've described that you ride the most, I think you'd be happier with the GS. Less weight to throw around, a little more suspension travel, & what I think would be the most important difference, lower rear end gearing. It'll pull out of those goat path turns a lot better than the RT.

If my FD goes south again, I'll replace it with a GS FD. Then at least I'll have SOME chance of staying with Matt in traffic. :grin:

Bill_Walker

Only one of those three applies to mine (no ABS). Mileage is about the same as my RT (around 40), though range is a bit shorter due to the smaller tank. Lots more power, though. My tire mileage on Tourances has been similar, too.

Matts_12GS

Only one of those three applies to mine (no ABS). Mileage is about the same as my RT (around 40), though range is a bit shorter due to the smaller tank. Lots more power, though. My tire mileage on Tourances has been similar, too.

I had 2 650s and a 1000. The big one just sucked... The way suzuki dorked up the power with the low gear timing retard is crappy. motor was too slow to spin up, my 06 surged like a bastard... I hated it.

My 650s were almost perfect though. 10 more horses and they could well have been.

Yeah yeah yeah. At this point, I know what I want as a replacement. I want an '08+ 1200GS with ABS and preferably no ESA. Luggage would be nice, but not a necessity. The problem is I'm currently stuck with a paper weight for a bike. Which means I either need to fix it and trade it in (which means waiting for the right bike to pop up locally), or part it out (which takes more time/hassle but will allow me more options once its done).

I have the parts to put it back on the road sitting in my garage, but I can get a lot more $$$ for it if I part it out. Getting rid of most of the parts should be easy because they are small enough to ship, but the plastic is the tough part. It's worth the most, and the hardest to ship. I have some emails out for some possible solutions, but haven't heard back yet.

Keith-- think about running a ebay ad for the body plastic parts and mark it pickup only. Within a 200 mile radius, you will have over 100 people look at your ad. It costs nothing to list and you pay a fee only if it sells.

A second option is to tell the buyers you will determine the actual shipping after the auction ends. 3 large boxes and you are in business. You can even have the ups store provide the boxes and do the wrapping. The buyer pays.

Just make a game plan that you like and get started. You will be surprised how easy it will be.

I started reading this thinking your RT was the 1200. Whew! I haven't heard of anything like this happening on the 1200. I have a very good friend who had the same thing happen with his R1100RT. He believed that it was the bell housing and that it machined improperly so the tranmission was never alighed properly. He did get it "fixed" twice then got it sold quickly after. The 1200s don't have a bell housing... the transmission mounts directly to the motor. Something to consider. Something else to consider is the R1200s that don't have a rear or input shaft seal leak seem to have a very long clutch life. My R1100RS clutch was gone at 90k. My current RT is over 100k with the original clutch. A rider on this forum has stupid mileage on his (250k or so) with the original clutch. If you get a good 1200 they simply don't break. Including the rear drive :thumbsup:

Pay the extra to have UPS store box it. If parts get damaged they pay the whole cost. Had a $300 seat sent back, got damaged and they paid the whole thing.

I started reading this thinking your RT was the 1200. Whew! I haven't heard of anything like this happening on the 1200. I have a very good friend who had the same thing happen with his R1100RT. He believed that it was the bell housing and that it machined improperly so the tranmission was never alighed properly. He did get it "fixed" twice then got it sold quickly after. The 1200s don't have a bell housing... the transmission mounts directly to the motor. Something to consider. Something else to consider is the R1200s that don't have a rear or input shaft seal leak seem to have a very long clutch life. My R1100RS clutch was gone at 90k. My current RT is over 100k with the original clutch. A rider on this forum has stupid mileage on his (250k or so) with the original clutch. If you get a good 1200 they simply don't break. Including the rear drive :thumbsup:

Paul Mihalka had his transmission input shaft strip out on his R1200GS, so you can't say it NEVER happens.

If you get a good 1200 they simply don't break. Including the rear drive :thumbsup:

Hehe

Off the top of my head, 2007 1200GSA.

One drive shaft.

One final drive bearing failure.

Two slave cyclinders.

One cam chain tensioner.

Two headlight housings.

Two fog light switches.

Three antenna rings.

Two fuel strips.

Right now possible fuel pump relay going out.

Yea, they don't break. $3000+ so far for not breaking. Legendary.

But I digress.

Matts_12GS

At least you aren't bitter about it. :rofl:

But seriously, I respect you for being so public about your travails with yours and Kate's bikes. It has been an eye opener for potential issues on my bike.

But seriously, I respect you for being so public about your travails with yours and Kate's bikes. It has been an eye opener for potential issues on my bike.

I know there are good ones out there, just wish we had a couple of them.

Matts_12GS

I know there are good ones out there, just wish we had a couple of them.

Well said Ken.

On top of that Ken.....You're a hell of a nice guy. You would think BMW could at least sell the clunkers to the A-holes :grin:

I really thought that with 700,000 plus BMW miles and Kates 300,000 plus, we would have gotten some sort of good will, or thanks for sticking with us, we will take care of your issues. Nada. But again we digress from the original topic.

Archived