IGNORED

Dead RT, advice, options, and shopping for a replacement

OoPEZoO

Hey Buddy,

I have got to start reading the threads again. I have

one thought for you. CRUISE CONTROL. I'm just sayin.

Have fun shopping. :grin:

Lone_RT_rider
Hey Buddy,

I have got to start reading the threads again. I have

one thought for you. CRUSIE CONTROL. I'm just sayin.

Have fun shopping. :grin:

Yep! That might be of great help while traveling through Virginia. *he ducks* :grin::rofl:

Shawn

Looking at a bike on Saturday that has cruise......looks a lot like yours, but the color isn't quite as nice. :grin:

Whatever I get, I won't be keeping it as long as I kept my RT. A couple of years and 50-60k miles will be my limit from here on out.

Ok. I have to ask. Why target a bike for short duration/mileage? Perhaps you simply want more bike variety experience?

I typically cycle through purchaces only if I feel there is something better to be had. When the urge overcomes the risk/hasle/expense.

I bought my current bike with 60k mile on it. The previous (original) owner was very upfront with any issues it had in the past, and what had been done to it. He had a few warranty issues, but it was all taken car of and everything was perfect from then until he sold it. I bought it at the 60k mile mark and it never missed a beat until 72k miles, then again at 85k miles, then again at 93k miles, then again at 101k miles, and then again at 125k miles, and now again at 126k miles.

It has let me sit dead 4 times.

#1 On a trip. The HES failed. Luckily a guy I had never met was willing to postpone his trip home. His girlfriend let me borrow her bike and we rode 140 miles round trip to get the parts needed for the repair. Got it back on the road and managed to drive home.

#2 On my commute. The side stand switch failed. Had to call a tow truck because I could not trouble shoot it on the side of a busy highway during rush hour

#3 On a trip. BRR last spring. My throwout bearing seized and left me stranded. Once again, a guy I had never met was willing to help. He drove 2 hours round trip to come get me with his trailer and then refused gas money. Then another friend offered his vehicle to go for a parts run. While another friend gave up his only day of riding to keep me company to get the parts. I spent the rest of the day in the hotel parking lot fixing it.

#4 On a trip. BRR last weekend. Input splines stripped 350 miles from home and 150 miles from my destination. My roadside assistance got me back to "civilization", but I ended up having to put two tanks of gas into my friends Suburban so he could come get me with his trailer.

This has taught me 3 things

1. This community is awesome. People are really willing to go out of their way to help strangers in need. I hope to repay all of these favors some day

2. I have incredible friends who are willing to drop everything and help me out when I really need it

3. Never keep a motorcycle past about 70k miles, because sometimes riding it is only about 1/10 of the adventure of owning it.

Next time, I want to put the first 60k miles on a bike instead of the last. That a good enough reason/excuse?

Dennis Andress
Next time, I want to put the first 60k miles on a bike instead of the last. That a good enough reason/excuse?

Buy a new bike, and an extended warranty. Ride the wheels off it until the EW expires. Repeat.

Just say nay to the Tay Nay Ray

Priceless.

Test rode a new fully loaded RR1200T today at Hermy's demo day in Port Clinton. Wow, that was nice. I could definitely say that it could easily be a drop in replacement for my R1100RT. The only small gripes I had were with the grips, seat, and suspension. The grips are too damn small, but this is something I had a problem with my R1100RT as well. I fixed it on my RT with a set of foam grip puppies to make them a little more substantial. Otherwise, my hands really start to hurt after a long day on the road. The seat was killing me after only about 20 min. I was already developing hot spots, and felt like I was sliding forward into the tank. I played with the ESA on all three settings, but I didn't feel like any of the settings were anywhere as settled as the Works Performance Shocks I have on my current RT. Wind protection felt about the same as my current RT, with a nice quiet pocket of air, and plenty of air from the neck up if I lowered the shield.

My only complaint about my current RT is the lack of airflow in July and August. Of course thats the same reason I love it come October through May. The new RT seems to be in the same boat. So I'm not sure if I want to stick with another RT or move to a GS to get the added airflow. I'm going to try and swipe a test ride on a GS one night this week, or maybe next weekend so I can compare the two.

I don't plan to ever own a bike with more than 3 cylinders again

If you get either Triumph you still won't have a bike with more than 3 cylinders. :dopeslap:

I would look at the Triumph Tigers, too.

I don't plan to ever own a bike with more than 3 cylinders again

If you get either Triumph you still won't have a bike with more than 3 cylinders. :dopeslap:

I would look at the Triumph Tigers, too.

I looked at the Sprint GT and all three of the Tigers today. The Sprint is still just a little to sport and not enough tour for me. It looks nice, but it seemed cramped in the leg room department, and its a little too leaned over for me to know for sure if I could survive on it all day. Not to mention the rear seat looks like it belongs on a sports bike. Wifey wouldn't like that, which means I wouldn't like that.

I liked the Tiger 800's. They look and feel awesome, but I don't think either is cut out for the kind of 2-up touring I like to do. For some reason, I really don't like the big Tiger. I always like the pictures, but they never feel "right" when I throw a leg over them.

I'm pretty much down to either a another RT or a GS at this point.

Both are awesome... I think I would have gone for the GS if my wife didn't like to get on the back.. so RT for me.

Raced Enduros for years so GS was very intriguing... and I like how with Jesse Luggage they look like a Sherman tank (to me)!

Question I have is after following these BMW forums ever since I bought my '04RT new in '04 why would anybody buy a new or used beemer unless they maybe have latent masochistic tendencies. I mean talk about trouble prone. :P

Question I have is after following these BMW forums ever since I bought my '04RT new in '04 why would anybody buy a new or used beemer unless they maybe have latent masochistic tendencies. I mean talk about trouble prone. :P

Because I have sat on and/or test rode every other bike out there that claims they can do what my RT can do, and keep me as comfortable as it does at the same time.

In my personal opinion.......they are all full of crap. For the amount, type, and style I ride, BMW has it perfectly dialed in. I don't know what else to say. I've looked elsewhere, but these are the only bikes that fit the bill for me. I'd love a 100% bullet proof Japanese replacement, but they haven't made one.

Marty Hill

I could also add 250,000 miles since 2001 on bmw's. One leak in a rear shock that was replaced under wty. Trouble prone, that's a very long reach for most of us. Several of my ex bikes have gone 100k miles with no problems. Owners of the good ones are in the majority but fail to mention it day after day.

Keith, ride the GS/it will make you forget the RT in about 1 mile! :grin:

Keith the GS is the way to go (GS Convert speaking here) but the only complaint I have on the GS is the range. The GSA with the bigger tank would take care of that.

Russell seat will solve any problem, the stock GS seat made my right leg go numb after 250 miles. I put a Russell on and don't even think about it.

Hope you find something that works for you, Good lucky!

Lone_RT_rider
Keith, ride the GS/it will make you forget the RT in about 1 mile! :grin:

That's not always a given Marty. :) I test road a GS and it was just not for me. As much as I am not a total fan of my R12RT, I do not think the new GS is a direct replacement for the R1100RT. YMMV of course.

I still have both my R11RT, and my R12RT and because of suspension geometry difference, foot peg positioning and overall ergo differences the R12RT (to me) feels like a completely different motorcycle than the R1100RT. I have started commuting again on the R1100RT lately and I had forgotten how much quicker the steering is on the R1100RT than the R12RT.

The new engine on the R12RT feels wonderful once you get it spooled up. Around 6500 rpm the thing really comes to life, but the gearing is such that for the type of roads I love to ride (tight twisties) it doesn't pull out of the corners the way the R1100RT does. Second gear pulls with the R1100RT on roads such as NC28 south of Deals gap is where the R1100RT really shines. To be fair, if your riding the Cherohala, the R12RT has a really sweet 3rd gear ability in those long sweepers.

Just MHO. Personally, If I had it to do all over again, I would be taking a really hard look at the Daddy version of the Tiger, not the 800. But then again, I have this tendency to wander west......on occasion. :)

Shawn

4wheeldog

To paraphrase a great author, "Beemers are the worst bikes in the world, except for all the others!"

What BMW does right doesn't even seem important to other manufacturers. They are lighter, handle like they are smaller than they are, and haul 2 weeks worth of gear, 2 up, better than any other maker's competing bike.

That said, I won't buy a new one. I will only buy an "Experienced" Beemer, because the treatment I got on warranty items nearly incited me to violence, and I am to old to go to prison.

The GS is certainly leading the charge. I would consider an 1200RT, but it would have to be such a good deal that I couldn't walk away from. I know if I'm patient, I can get a good low mileage '07+ GS with full luggage for at or under $10k. That's pretty tough to find with an RT.

Plus, there is no body work removal for maintenance, I hate washing and cleaning, I prefer to travel goat paths, and I just think the GS fits better overall for the type of riding I end up doing. A typical trip for me goes like this. My ride home is almost always 500+ mile days on the slab, where the RT would be nice. The problem is that the other 2000+ miles is usually back mountain roads with poor pavement. I already have the proper gear to keep me warm and dry in any type of weather, so I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage of the fairing on the RT for me. I'm sure it does a good job on long highway jaunts at 70+ mph, but I don't do that too often. I'd much rather be on some back road doing about 45-50mph.

Gonna ride a GS at some point this week. Might even take Danielle along to see what she thinks about the rear seat. Then I'll get serious.

Marty Hill

Keith, as to the range...I've been to alaska twice and ridden in 14 other country's as well as the lower 48. Never thought the range was insufficient.

Going up the haul road, you might need to carry an extra gallon or two. How many people really go there? Nothing against the GSA but I have several friends who have them and don't fill the tanks and wish they had the plain GS.

Jerry in Monument
Keith the GS is the way to go (GS Convert speaking here) ....

I rode a GS and GSA last summer, both 2010 models. Great bikes, but not for me. At least at this point.

While I love the idea of being able to take off back-country if the urge hits, the GS just isn't as comfortable for me as the RT, and I like the wind protection of the RT better.

I'll see in a couple of years when it's time to hand this RT down to the wife or a daughter.

I know if I'm patient, I can get a good low mileage '07+ GS with full luggage for at or under $10k. That's pretty tough to find with an RT.

I've been reading your thread and I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I have a friend who parted out his 1150RT and he says it was a major hassle.

I've owned a 2006 1200GS and now own a 2004 1150GS. I honestly prefer the 1150GS. I think it's better built, can stand a fall without breaking something very expensive, and vastly easier to work on. (especially electrical troubleshooting) I also think it feels more planted on the road. Just my opinion.

If you get a 1200GS, go for a late 2007 or any 2008 with an oil drain plug on the final drive. Then you won't have to disarticulate the FD to change the oil. Any 1200GS without the older power assisted ABS controller is also important. I can't recall if BMW made the change in '07 or '08.

Good luck with your quest for a replacement bike. Consider a low mileage 1150GS and use the money you save to make the bike fit you.

Rich06FJR1300

actually if you want a year, the Triumph Trophy may be in the states by then...3 cylinder bike looks a lot like the RT

I know if I'm patient, I can get a good low mileage '07+ GS with full luggage for at or under $10k. That's pretty tough to find with an RT.

I've been reading your thread and I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I have a friend who parted out his 1150RT and he says it was a major hassle.

I've owned a 2006 1200GS and now own a 2004 1150GS. I honestly prefer the 1150GS. I think it's better built, can stand a fall without breaking something very expensive, and vastly easier to work on. (especially electrical troubleshooting) I also think it feels more planted on the road. Just my opinion.

If you get a 1200GS, go for a late 2007 or any 2008 with an oil drain plug on the final drive. Then you won't have to disarticulate the FD to change the oil. Any 1200GS without the older power assisted ABS controller is also important. I can't recall if BMW made the change in '07 or '08.

Good luck with your quest for a replacement bike. Consider a low mileage 1150GS and use the money you save to make the bike fit you.

All good advice, and pretty much the same conclusions I had come to myself with regards to the 1200GS. I would really like an '08 if I can find one, but I would settle for an '07 without the wizzy brakes if it was the right deal. I haven't 100% ruled out an 1150GS, but if I went that rout it would have to be an 1150GSA. The problem is that they are getting pretty rare to find with low mileage. The ones I have found are outrageously priced for age/condition or are too far away to make the transaction practical.

About the whole parting it out thing.......um, yeah....that ain't happening.

E bay has several BMW bikes. One to the west of NYC. Auctions aren't my thing but it may work out for you.

Patience Grasshopper!!

Young people are always in such a hurry.

Plenty of patience Bob.......I'm not in a hurry. I'm just figuring out exactly what I want and getting everything set to pull the trigger when the right deal surfaces. I have more than enough home projects to keep me busy in the mean time. I just hope I can get something before the UNrally, but if that doesn't happen then I'll just make due with reading about it and looking at everyones pics. If push comes to shove, I could always borrow the old man's Goldwing :P

Lone_RT_rider
If push comes to shove, I could always borrow the old man's Goldwing :P

If you send me those TB's, I'll make sure there is a pretty R11RT sitting at the UN Headquarters waiting for you. :grin::rofl:

If push comes to shove, I could always borrow the old man's Goldwing :P

The good new here is I could keep up with you. :grin:

I think you should just by th GS. You've been talking about it

long enough.

Hey Rubber Chicken--

The GS sounds like a great fit for you. There have been a lot more of them up for auction on eBay since they removed all the up front fees. If I were you I would enter the GS in my saved favorites and wait and see.

Craigslist might take care of your current bike. You might consider running a "make offer" type ad to see if there is any interest.

Good luck with your search.

I have my feelers out through all the normal outlets........Here, ADV, Craigslist, Ebay, and my local dealers. They all get scoured every day. You also wouldn't imagine the amount of PM's and emails I've recieved from people willing to help me spend my money :grin:. It will most likely take a few weeks, but I'll be ready when the right thing comes available.

I have considered trying to sell my bike privately in the mean time, but I'm really not sure how I feel about selling a used bike that will most likely have another costly transmission failure within ~25k miles. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I guess its more of a moral dilemma to me than anything else.

gOTTA ridinig chum that is selling his lightly used one owner - 15K mile GS800 LOADED with Jesse's etc...all for $10500.

might be just the ticket.

russell_bynum
I have my feelers out through all the normal outlets........Here, ADV, Craigslist, Ebay, and my local dealers. They all get scoured every day. You also wouldn't imagine the amount of PM's and emails I've recieved from people willing to help me spend my money :grin:. It will most likely take a few weeks, but I'll be ready when the right thing comes available.

I have considered trying to sell my bike privately in the mean time, but I'm really not sure how I feel about selling a used bike that will most likely have another costly transmission failure within ~25k miles. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I guess its more of a moral dilemma to me than anything else.

If you put the tupperware, wheels, FD, and ABS pump up for sale when we started this conversation, they'd probably all be sold by now...for more than you'll get by trying to sell the bike intact.

Just sayin'.....

If your commute is 500 miles of slab you might really appreciate the cruise control on the RT. Especially if your hands start to bother you.

Bill

07RT

09KLR

If you put the tupperware, wheels, FD, and ABS pump up for sale when we started this conversation, they'd probably all be sold by now...for more than you'll get by trying to sell the bike intact.

Just sayin'.....

After a nice hour+ cross referencing Beemer Boneyard and Ebay, I really think you are right. Just jotting down some notes of what certain parts are fetching and how easily I think they would sell.......I might have to go without a bike for the summer, but I could buy whatever I wanted when I was done. The hardest thing to get rid of would be the tupperware, but I have a lead that might solve that issue. If I can get rid of the tupperware without having to ship it, then I think I might have to part it out.

Matts_12GS

Keith,

If you get to the UN, you can ride my GS or probably Dianne's new RSL. Or maybe Shawn's RT... Part it out and get what you want.

Did that GS near you pan out?

Used prices will go down after summer....

Yes, but it would cost him half of a riding season...is it worth it?

I'm 32......missing half a riding season won't kill me.

Nice n Easy Rider

Live life like every day's your last. Just saying. :)

Sounds great on paper........in reality it just leaves you jobless, really deep in debt, and with a pissed off wife. If you're dead tomorrow thats fine, but I need to plan a little further out :grin:

Sounds great on paper........in reality it just leaves you jobless, really deep in debt, and with a pissed off wife. If you're dead tomorrow thats fine, but I need to plan a little further out :grin:

Well said Keith :thumbsup:

Well said Keith :thumbsup:

Nope, gotta disagree.

We are promised no tomorrows.

That doesn't mean throw caution to the wind, but if today really was your last day would we want our SO to have to take care of X ?

When we take it for granted that tomorrow will arrive I think (IMO) we may miss part of the joy of today.

I make plans all the time for tomorrow and even the day after that.

;)

But I never take it for granted that I'll see the sunrise.

Be true to yourself, no one else has a clue.

Best wishes.

Wow this is heavy!! I normally find questions like" which oil to use" or" will the dealer warranty my final drive failure!"

Its amazing where some of the threads take us ..

Lone_RT_rider
Wow this is heavy!! I normally find questions like" which oil to use" or" will the dealer warranty my final drive failure!"

Thank god it's not a Nitrogen thread or anything. :)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Thank god it's not a Nitrogen thread or anything. :)

I try to keep those short.

Archived