IGNORED

Dead RT, advice, options, and shopping for a replacement

OoPEZoO

I'm pretty sure my RT just had its final ride last Thursday. While traveling through WV on my way to the BRR, my transmission input splines stripped. My odometer had just rolled over 126k miles. The transmission had been rebuilt with a new input shaft due to some spline wear I found when replacing a worn out clutch back at 101k miles. So the original input shaft lasted until I replaced it at 101k miles, but the new replacement only lasted 25k miles. This makes me think that the problem is one of two things.

1. The rear main bearing on the crank shaft is wearing, and is causing the accelerated wear to the input shaft.

2. The clutch housing that I installed at 101k miles was defective, and clamped the clutch disk at a slight angle.

I don't know how else to explain why the first input shaft lasted 101k+ miles and the new one stripped at 25k.

Anyway......thats the back story. On to the solutions. Because of the situation and mileage, I can't justify repairing it again. Even if I bought a good used transmission, I don't think I could ever trust it again. I also couldn't, in good conscience, sell it to anyone privately if I repaired it again. I figure my options are

1. Trade it in "as is" for next to nothing

2. Part it out privately

3. Check about selling it to someplace like Beemer Boneyard

3. Talk to my insurance company to see if they will total it

Everything on the bike not related to this situation functions flawlessly, and it was running great until this happened. So I could recoup a decent amount of cash parting it out, but I'm not sure I feel like going through the hassle. Anyone have any words of wisdom or incite to help with the decision making process?

russell_bynum

Part it out. The big dollar stuff like plastic, final drive, motronic, ABS pump, etc should go relatively quickly. You'll eventually get to a point where there's not enough of value left to make it worth your time. That's when you haul whatever's left to a salvage yard.

If moving it before you shop has to happen then you'll have to act on one of your solutions. If not, i'd move it to the back of the shed cover it up & worry about it another day.

Pat

Glenn Reed

As to option number 4 - I doubt very much that the insurance company will total it, because the damage was not due to a collision or theft.

Good luck with the rest of the equation.

Moving it before buying a replacement would be nice, but not a necessity. I have the space to store it and part it out, but I'm not sure if I have the time or the patience to deal with the logistics of it. Also, just because I have the space doesn't mean I want a 600lb paper weight in the corner of my garage for the next two years.

I will most likely end up parting it out though. I did a quick run down this morning, and I easily have over $2000 in used accessories/suspension that could be quickly removed and would sell quickly.

I fired off an email to Beemer Boneyard, and I also plan to stop by my two local BMW shops to ask for their opinions as well.

To collect from your insurance company, you'll have to arrange for the bike to be hit by some other vehicle. Maybe push it out onto I-80 and stand aside. This, of course, would be fraud and looked upon with disapproval by law enforcement and insurer alike. So go with one of your other plans. Probably, parting it out would net the greatest return but with the greatest effort. Dragging it to a m-c boneyard is easiest but least profitable. Try listing it on e-bay and on-line forums and see if anybody bites?

Sorry for your loss.

pete

I know the insurance thing was a long shot. I have to call them anyway to drop the insurance coverage, so I thought I'd ask them while I had them on the phone. I wasn't talking about doing anything shady, it was just a simple question. I have full coverage on the bike

I mean.....I didn't wreck the bike, but if this mechanical failure would have caused a wreck, then that would have been covered and I could start shopping for a new bike tomorrow no questions asked. So the same exact failure happens, but I manage to keep the bike up.......and its not covered? Beats me, but its going to be a question I ask.

The only difference I see is that the scrap is worth more because I managed not to ball it up in a ditch.

Right now the legitimate front runners in no particular order are

1150GSA

1200GS

1200GSA

1200ST

Triumph Sprint ST

Triumph Sprint GT

I need some seat time to narrow the list, and then do it again with my wife on the back to see what will work. I don't plan to ever own a bike with more than 3 cylinders again. Whatever I get, I won't be keeping it as long as I kept my RT. A couple of years and 50-60k miles will be my limit from here on out.

Sell it whole for $1500 and mention "needs trans input shaft".

Parting it piece by piece is a lot a work.

DiggerJim
I know the insurance thing was a long shot. I have to call them anyway to drop the insurance coverage, so I thought I'd ask them while I had them on the phone. I wasn't talking about doing anything shady, it was just a simple question. I have full coverage on the bike

I mean.....I didn't wreck the bike, but if this mechanical failure would have caused a wreck, then that would have been covered and I could start shopping for a new bike tomorrow no questions asked. So the same exact failure happens, but I manage to keep the bike up.......and its not covered? Beats me, but its going to be a question I ask.

Insurance doesn't apply. You didn't have an insured event. Yes, it would have been covered if it had caused you to wreck the bike. Yep, it would have been covered if a tree fell on the garage and squished it. Would have been covered if the bike caught on fire....lots of things "IF". But none of those things did. Insurance covers the results not the proximate cause of accidents - otherwise it'd just be welfare.

I don't understand why you would think they'd cover it - kind of like almost drowning but coming up for air one last time & able to grab onto a boat so you don't die. Would you expect your life insurance to pay anyway? After all, you would have been dead if not for the heroic last gasp and the exact same failure (you're too tired to swim) but you don't grab onto something to get to safety & it's covered but if you do grab onto something it's not.

It's the definition of insurance - and it's not about preventative maintenance or close calls or almosts. It's about what actually happens - that's what you paid premiums for. They'd be lots higher if the companies paid for "almosts" & "wouldas".

Jim

markgoodrich
Sell it whole for $1500 and mention "needs trans input shaft".

Parting it piece by piece is a lot a work.

What Bob says.

Hi. This situation is similar to the one I experienced with my previous R1150RS when the cam chain guide disintegrated at 106.3 k mi. If you recall, the estimate to repair the bike was $3,500 and the KBB was $4,780. After discussing it with my wife, we decided to upgrade to a 2010 R1200RT. My dealer was terrific to have given me a $1,500 trade in on the RS, plus worked with me on the price on the RT. It hurts to have new bike payments again, but I have no regrets about the bike. The R12RT is a clear step up from my previous bike. Good luck!

---John.

As for the GSA just remember my ongoing saga.....Just sayin. My plan from now on is to NEVER buy new again. From now on they will be a few years old with at least 30000 miles. I figure all the gremlins should be worked out by then. Of course our big $$$ items failed at 48000 miles so that my bite me in the butt in the future.

As for the GSA just remember my ongoing saga.....Just sayin. My plan from now on is to NEVER buy new again. From now on they will be a few years old with at least 30000 miles. I figure all the gremlins should be worked out by then. Of course our big $$$ items failed at 48000 miles so that my bite me in the butt in the future.

Agreed. I have a theory that BMW's engineers don't communicate well with the people on the assembly line. If Fritz (or Ahmet, more likely) is having a good day, the bike will last nearly forever. But, if you the people who built your bike were having a bad day, and didn't hit spec. on the assembly line, good luck. My 1999 RT turned 89,000 miles today, has been very trouble free, and I hope to keep riding it as long a I am able. Original owner had the Hall sensors replaced at ~55,000 miles, and everything since has just been routine maintenance. Fingers crossed.

+1 on never buy new... LET SOMEONE ELSE TAKE THE HIT.

I got a 2010 RT, 4 months old.. 2,100 miles.. New list was 19,700 (w/o prep, shipping, etc.. so it is loaded, cept' radio) and I paid $15.5 for it... Original Buyer took a 4K hit in 4 months...

And recently sold a cruiser (which I had bought new) and literally in 2 years lost 1/2 the value of the bike... and was GLAD to sell it at that. ;-(

Insurance doesn't apply. You didn't have an insured event. Yes, it would have been covered if it had caused you to wreck the bike. Yep, it would have been covered if a tree fell on the garage and squished it. Would have been covered if the bike caught on fire....lots of things "IF". But none of those things did. Insurance covers the results not the proximate cause of accidents - otherwise it'd just be welfare.

I don't understand why you would think they'd cover it - kind of like almost drowning but coming up for air one last time & able to grab onto a boat so you don't die. Would you expect your life insurance to pay anyway? After all, you would have been dead if not for the heroic last gasp and the exact same failure (you're too tired to swim) but you don't grab onto something to get to safety & it's covered but if you do grab onto something it's not.

It's the definition of insurance - and it's not about preventative maintenance or close calls or almosts. It's about what actually happens - that's what you paid premiums for. They'd be lots higher if the companies paid for "almosts" & "wouldas".

Jim

Like I said.....it was a simple question for my insurance agent who I already had to call anyway. I DIDN'T think I was covered........but then again, last year I blew off a little bit of (what I considered) superficial hail damage to my aluminum siding. After a casual conversation with my agent about getting my Jeep covered, they sent someone out right away and cut me a $10k check on the spot for new siding and a new roof. I realize its not the same situation, but it never hurts to ask.

I don't plan to ever own a bike with more than 3 cylinders again.

Just curious, why?

Maybe I've haven't ridden the right one, but I've never been on a 4 cylinder bike that felt like it had any soul. Lots of power and Plenty of very capable bikes, but I've never had an emotional connection to anything with that many cylinders.

Matts_12GS

Keith,

I really hate to see you in this situation, but I can sympathize, my first RT went in a similar fashion.

I know I have offered to ruin your life by letting you ride the GS, and I think you would find them especially to your liking since I know how you ride.

I bought mine 2 years ago with 22K miles and a few extras included for just about $10K. There are deals out there now, and if you have any questions on things GS related you have my number.

Good luck my friend, looking forward to riding with you again!

In response to:

Poster: OoPEZoO

Subject: Re: Dead RT, advice, options, and shopping for a replacement

Originally Posted By: Lmar

Just curious, why?

Maybe I've haven't ridden the right one, but I've never been on a 4 cylinder bike that felt like it had any soul. Lots of power and Plenty of very capable bikes, but I've never had an emotional connection to anything with that many cylinders.

Good point. My RT is my first 2 cylinder. That's probably why I like it so much.

+1 call/email Mike Figelski at beemer boneyard

Already tossing emails back and forth with him......even on a Sunday. You REALLY can't beat beemer Boneyard on customer service. He gave me a ballpark number of what it would be worth to them, but obviously couldn't make me an offer without detailed pics.

I spent all afternoon today pulling my farkles off of it (pretty depressing process). So right now, the bike has all of the body work off of it. It would literally take me 3-4 more hours to have the whole bike down to just a pile of parts. I'm going to talk to my local dealer before I go any further, but I'm really leaning towards parting it out myself right now. It would only take a couple of desirable parts to match what Mike is telling me its worth to them.

Keith,

I really hate to see you in this situation, but I can sympathize, my first RT went in a similar fashion.

I know I have offered to ruin your life by letting you ride the GS, and I think you would find them especially to your liking since I know how you ride.

I bought mine 2 years ago with 22K miles and a few extras included for just about $10K. There are deals out there now, and if you have any questions on things GS related you have my number.

Thanks Matt. My local dealer has a used '09 GS sitting on the floor right now. I don't know the mileage, condition, or price, but I'll be in touch with them tomorrow.

Matts_12GS

Already tossing emails back and forth with him......even on a Sunday. You REALLY can't beat beemer Boneyard on customer service. He gave me a ballpark number of what it would be worth to them, but obviously couldn't make me an offer without detailed pics.

I spent all afternoon today pulling my farkles off of it (pretty depressing process). So right now, the bike has all of the body work off of it. It would literally take me 3-4 more hours to have the whole bike down to just a pile of parts. I'm going to talk to my local dealer before I go any further, but I'm really leaning towards parting it out myself right now. It would only take a couple of desirable parts to match what Mike is telling me its worth to them.

I know someone with a high mileage 1100RT in SC that needs rebuilt throttle bodies, you might want to get ahold of him before he leaves for Torrey with Mitch :wave:

Just curious, why?

I totally agree, but I hope you stay with BMW and stay on this board.

russell_bynum

Exactly. The high-dollar stuff is pretty easy to get off. Fd, wheels, plastic, abs, motronic, etc. Then scrap it when it gets to the point where it is no longer worth it.

The real kicker is that I literally just put new tires on, and new brake pads on the front. They only have 350 miles on them. Then to top it off........I broke down exactly 19 miles after filling my gas tank :P

I tell ya, sometimes things just like to line up one after the other and kick ya in the junk.

dirtrider

Morning Keith

Just a thought. -- Pick a fair price you would take then put it in the classified on this site. At least while you are considering other options. Maybe someone is looking for what you have to sell even in it’s current condition.

That is a good thought. The bike is in such good shape everywhere else, its really hard to part it out. I would really like to sell it whole if its possible.

My dealer is open till 8:00 tonight......gonna swing by and see what they have to say as well.

Thanks Matt. My local dealer has a used '09 GS sitting on the floor right now. I don't know the mileage, condition, or price, but I'll be in touch with them tomorrow.

Not saying great deal or anything but, just a comparison.

09 GS

Another one.

Pat

If you hadn't already called your insurance company, you could have just put the bike in the middle of the driveway, put on the choke, cranked it up and gone inside to shower and eat breakfast while it melted its tupperware. Or, if your driveway is long enough, get a gas drip started at a fuel disconnect and crank it up while eating breakfast. Instant total either way.

----

Rich06FJR1300

great idea but since its posted, they have ways of tracing this thread (big brother is watching) LOL

Dennis Andress
Keith,

Ugggh!! Killing one's bike is never good!

I built an airhead from parts when I was stationed in Germany. Over the next three years that thing went through three clutch plates and two input shafts. Then I got a clue and realized that the clutch splines fit too loose on the input shaft. I had been buying clutch plates for the known engine model and year -- 1984 R100 RT -- but didn't know what the transmission came from. Then I bought a K bike and sold the airhead...

I know Matt means well, and the GS is a perfectly good motorcycle, but, don't leave horsepower on the dealer's floor...

789546127_M7wxp-L.jpg

Too many cylinders and too much body work. Besides, that much horse power is pretty much lost on 90% of the roads I travel on. I tend to travel on goat paths with really crappy pavement. Around here, with a good rider, the DRZ400's can hunt down and smoke the GSXR's

Dennis Andress

I've rode K bikes almost exclusively since in 1989. Yet, I can't draw parallels between this bike and any of my other Ks. Instead it reminds me of that old airhead I mentioned, light and easy to ride, and comfortable all day long. It does a surprisingly good job of slow and easy. Throttle control and power delivery are the best I've experienced in a long time. The engine has no sweat spot, it's happy at any RPM. And, it still has the K bike magic of moving dots on a map closer together.

Sadly, it doesn't like goat trails at all. I figured out that the front shock is bottoming out a lot. I managed to turn the preload collar about 1/4 a turn (it's buried and hard to reach) but a full turn would have been more appropriate.

I hope you get something you like, and then you get to ride the wheels off of it until it's broken down and hauled home on a trailer. :)

Dennis

Jerry in Monument

Keith,

I hate to hear of your troubles. I hope it all turns out well in the end.

Just wanting to know, if you do end up parting it out, I just bought a '96 RT that I'm looking for a few bits.

Extra mirrors - GS mirrors I assume to augment the factory 'hand inspection' mirrors.

Accessory shelf.

Again, I hope you feel good by the end of your ordeal.

Matts_12GS

I know Matt means well, and the GS is a perfectly good motorcycle, but, don't leave horsepower on the dealer's floor...

Boy, you "let" a guy leave you in his dust a few times... :rofl::dopeslap:

Keith,

I hate to hear of your troubles. I hope it all turns out well in the end.

Just wanting to know, if you do end up parting it out, I just bought a '96 RT that I'm looking for a few bits.

Extra mirrors - GS mirrors I assume to augment the factory 'hand inspection' mirrors.

Accessory shelf.

Again, I hope you feel good by the end of your ordeal.

THE VULTURES ARE CIRCLING..... :rofl:

Actually, I do have an accessory shelf that I would willingly part once I know for sure that I won't be back on another 1100RT. Shoot me a PM and I'll file it with the other vulture requests.

Stopped by dealership #1 today. Great guys, but they are not interested in taking it in as a trade. They said that there is now way they could justify it because they wouldn't be able to turn it and make any money. Not surprising, and I appreciated the straight forward honesty. They just sold the '09 GS I was stopping in to look at......it was fully loaded with bags, had about 6k miles on it, and they sold it for $12k. I gave them my info and to call me if they had anything coming in that was in the same ballpark.

I'll be stopping by dealer number 2 on Saturday

Paul Mihalka

Keith, sorry about your hard times. Dealers don't usually take in trade not running bikes. They want quick turn-around and no unexpected problems. Send a message to Mike at Beemerboneyard. He may be interested in buying your bike.

I spoke with Mike via email on Sunday. He was very helpful and gave me a ballpark range of what to expect if they made me a formal offer. It actually wasn't that bad. Between what he would give me for the basic bike, and what I could sell from my suspension and accessories, I could almost get more than what I would have asked for it as a running bike.

I could potentially make more if I want to part it out myself, but I'm not sure if I'm up for the hassle.

Vulture #2:

How many miles on that clutch?

25k......but its stripped out. Won't do you much good.

Keith,

Sell it now.

One deal, one payment.

Then sell your odds and ends (accessories).

Then get a new bike.

Simpler and you won't be looking at the corpse.

Best wishes.

I have a plan in the works. If all goes well, it should be ridable again by the end of next week. Then it will sit in the garage until I ride it to where ever it is locally being traded in at.

Lone_RT_rider
I have a plan in the works. If all goes well, it should be ridable again by the end of next week. Then it will sit in the garage until I ride it to where ever it is locally being traded in at.

Awesome! :) The sad part for me is, I really did want those TB's. LOL

Shawn

4wheeldog

Does this plan entail the use of JB Weld? Inquiring minds are just curious. (I keed, I keed). Seriously, good luck.

I have a plan in the works. If all goes well, it should be ridable again by the end of next week. Then it will sit in the garage until I tow it to where ever it is locally being traded in at.

Fixed it for you you masochist you...

:grin:

Archived