IGNORED

Vandenberg Launch

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

If the winds die down enough, Atlas V launch from VAFB tonight. 9:24 PM.

Scuttlebutt is for a mostly southerly track, visible as far north as San Jose or Sac if the skies are clear as well as crossing in front of the Southland.

This one is solid assisted so, should have an illuminated plume more visible than only kerosene or hydrogen burning rockets.

Spaceflightnow.com and ulalaunch.com for updates.

I saw an Atlas V launch many years ago at Canaveral. When the five Boosters dropped off, I thought it was great! Never did see the Saturn V or a shuttle launch, Sadly, a missed opportunity.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Enfoman

You saw the Pluto launch! The fastest manmade object ever to go outside of Earths orbit. Something else went toward the Sun with a g assist.

There's another 5 solid launch in August, a 4 in Oct/November and a 3 in Feb or so....all from the Cape.

Sounds like a scrub according to my source:

LAUNCH ALERT

Brian Webb

Ventura County, California

launch-alert-editor@earthlink.net

www.spacearchive.info

2011 April 14 (Thursday) 05:07 PDT

----------------------------------------------------------------------

LAUNCH STATUS

by Brian Webb

Tonight's launch of an Atlas V rocket from Vandenberg AFB remains on

schedule. The rocket is slated to lift-off from Space Launch Complex 3

at 21:24 (9:24 p.m.) PDT, the start of a launch window of unknown

duration, and carry a classified payload into orbit for the U.S.

National Reconnaissance Office

However, the odds of acceptable weather at launch time are

only 30% because of excessive winds. In the event the launch is

scrubbed, similar weather condition will persist Friday night and

over the weekend.

While stationed at VAFB in, oh too long ago to say, working in the second from the top level of the airfield control tower I was on a swing shift and got to witness to launches I'll never forget. A Saturn V, and a double Minuteman launch at sunset. WIth the elevated view and one of the Minuteman underground silos being the closest one to the airfield, I got to see the concret doors blown back, the flames first come out of the hole, then switch over to the venting ports as the rocket itself emerged and plugged the hole.

While stationed at VAFB in, oh too long ago to say, working in the second from the top level of the airfield control tower I was on a swing shift and got to witness to launches I'll never forget. A Saturn V, and a double Minuteman launch at sunset. WIth the elevated view and one of the Minuteman underground silos being the closest one to the airfield, I got to see the concret doors blown back, the flames first come out of the hole, then switch over to the venting ports as the rocket itself emerged and plugged the hole.

Kinda like

Not nearly as much activity these days as compared to the Cold War era.

Archived