IGNORED

Saw a Bike down

yabadabapal

yabadabapal

I was traveling tonight and came through Seattle on 35th street and noticed about 5 police cars, and a wide area of the street taped off. I slowed down for safety as it was dark out and as I arrived near the scene I saw a black motorcycle completely crunched and destroyed and then a car whos' rear was completely smashed in. I dont know what happened but it really looked terrible. I hope the poor fella makes it. Riding season is coming slowly here after a long cold winter. Be safe out there, be smart, stay alert.

beemerman2k

So I'm guessing the motorcyclist was traveling at a high rate of speed (I have no idea if riding above the speed limit or not) when the woman turned left in front of him. He hit the rear of her car and it was lights out at that point. Was it raining when the accident occured? If so, and it was at night, the risk factor just went through the roof.

I have read from many sources that this is the most common type of motorcycle/car collision -- a car that turns left into the path of an oncoming motorcycle.

If you're going to ride in the cities, you have to ride smart, alert, and aware of common and likely accident scenarios.

May that motorcyclist rest in peace.

that's a tragedy. The guy was probably just thinking, I'll go for a ride. Nice spring night and now he's gone. Could happen to any of us so please be careful.

A habit I'm slowly getting into is consciously looking for a bail-out plan when travelling through any intersection in case I have a car turn in front. Most Metro Detroit streets have sidewalks that taper to the road so at least visibly, that seems to be my main option.

Thank God I haven't had to use it yet.

May the rider rest in peace. He was a motorcyclist and that makes him one of us.

RPG

motorman587
So I'm guessing the motorcyclist was traveling at a high rate of speed (I have no idea if riding above the speed limit or not) when the woman turned left in front of him. He hit the rear of her car and it was lights out at that point. Was it raining when the accident occured? If so, and it was at night, the risk factor just went through the roof.

I have read from many sources that this is the most common type of motorcycle/car collision -- a car that turns left into the path of an oncoming motorcycle.

If you're going to ride in the cities, you have to ride smart, alert, and aware of common and likely accident scenarios.

It is number in the hurt report!!!

http://www.physics.isu.edu/~hackmart/hurt_sum.htm

motorman587

Do not know why the link will not high light.......but if you copy and paste.

1/4 of motorcycle crashes are with other vehicles. The Hurt study broke that down with with 2/3 of thoses crashes violation of right away.

motorman587

Do not know why the link will not high light.......but if you copy and paste.

3/4 of motorcycle crashes are with other vehicles. The Hurt study broke that down with with 2/3 of thoses crashes violation of right away.

Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger automobile.

In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

I't a shame the rider bought it like that reardless of whose fault it was. When I started riding my dad was opposed to the idea and told me one thing that's served me well and perhaps some wisdom to all of us. "If you get cocky to the point of thinking you're in control of that motorcycle it will kill you" I somtimes think we get too familiar with our machines. Old adage:"Familiarity breeds contempt." We tend to forget just dangerous riding can be and how vulnerable we are in the open. Ride safe and be careful.

Jan van der Westhuizen

:"Familiarity breeds contempt." I can not agree more, it is too easy to say that a car stop in front of you or pull in front off you, but we must remember when riding a motorcycle you must think for the guy in front of you, behind you, next to you and the car parked next to the road.

Archived