IGNORED

Riding skills- anyone?

SuperG

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hopefully the bike has dry sump lubrication.

I've often wondered how bike engines tolerate prolonged wheelies.

Notice at 1:10, the bike lurches from vertical to horizontal, despite Pfeiffer having one foot on the rear rack, and the other foot on the ground. He's apparently moved the rear brake to the handlebar to be able to do this. But if he's already got a clutch on one handlebar, and a front brake on the other, then where do you put the rear brake lever?

I assume both clutch and rear brake levers are on the left handlebar.

Imagine doing this on a bike with a carburetor? Fuel injection is the friend of stunt riders.

A few things I could think of:

dry sump--> all oil pumped from the bottom of the engine case to a reservoir, reservoir feed a secondary/main oil pump/lubrication system. Most modern dirtbike engines made that way. It lowers the center of gravity -engine placed lower in the frame and oilpump starvation is eliminated. Oil is stored in the upper frame tube.

On these stunt bike, notice: large rear sprocket(for easy wheelie), one gear only,all other junk removed to save weight, raised idle speed.

I really like the sitting backward burnout/turning and the wheelie while sitting on the front handlebar.

What bike is he riding? is is a DUC. 3 cyl.?

Today's trivia? how many broken bones and broken bike part it take to get to this level in the game?

I had to go back and watch him put the sidestand down while making the last turn to set himself up for the dismount. I completely missed it while watching it the first time, so I was waiting for the bike to fall over!

Notice at 1:10, the bike lurches from vertical to horizontal, despite Pfeiffer having one foot on the rear rack, and the other foot on the ground. He's apparently moved the rear brake to the handlebar to be able to do this. But if he's already got a clutch on one handlebar, and a front brake on the other, then where do you put the rear brake lever?

One of the GP riders had a thumb lever on the left side handlebar to compensate for a fused ankle. A few years back that was a set-up some local racers used because they claimed to have a better feel than with their foot. With the advent of race-based anti-lock brakes, I suppose it's a moot point.

I asked a guy I know who's a professional stunt rider how he learned how to do all his tricks, and he said he started on an XR-50. In his words, the throttle and brakes are all in the same place as on a big bike, so you can learn on the 50 and move on to a 600 pretty easily. After than, get a CBR600F4i because they were durable and there were plenty of spare parts available.

The other route would be to get a trials bike and go learn that. I've seen some trials riders that could translate a lot of skills on to a sport bike.

if I by an F800 will I be able to ride like the in the video? :)

Yes, and when your arm comes out of the cast, you'll be able to play the piano also.

----

They sell the stuff on-line and I've seen it at 'cycle shows.

http://www.thestuntfactory.com/horehabr.html

Archived