IGNORED

Huston, we have a problem....

ESokoloff

In hind sight I should not have posted this as no way can it be discussed in a non political fashion......

IN before the lock :dopeslap::P

I will say that I hope this decision can get turned around & have the Enterprise end up in Huston.

If NASA's intent to have it displayed were it would have the greatest number of visitors, then why didn't it go to Disneyland?

If NASA's intent to have it displayed were it would have the greatest number of visitors, then why didn't it go to Disneyland?

You know they are putting one in LA and another one in Florida, right? Japan and France seem like unlikely locations for space shuttles, so I guess they couldn't put one at all of them.

Based on this line from the story "The Enterprise, a prototype shuttle used for initial flight tests but not to fly in space, was awarded to New York City’s Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in Manhattan."

It sounds like the Enterprise was more airplane/glider than a spacecraft, so perhaps the intent is to keep only space going vessels at the Johnson Space Center while sending lesser machines to a city who can't tell the difference?

I was kind of hoping that the Adler Planetarium in Chicago, which is part of a great museum campus, would get one. However, I didn't think it was too likely, despite the millions of visitors every year. Houston certainly had a good claim, from the perspective of its historical role, but it's not what I'd view as a favored tourist destination.

I'm sure that each of the candidate cities/museums had good rationale for their bids, but NYC makes sense to even this Midwesterner. It is America's largest city, by a large margin, the epicenter of world commerce, and is among the most visited cities in America. The Intrepid Museum is nothing short of fantastic, featuring a huge range of machines from the aerospace age. And, from another perspective, NYC is certainly viewed as our most international city by the rest of the world.

Let 'em have it. At least we don't have to live there.

:P

Enterprise originally was intended to go to space. The plan was to do the test flights and then upgrade it for space. Later it turned out to be more cost-effective to build a new shuttle from the ground up.

Or, so says the Wikipedia.

Paul Mihalka

"Well, it's blatantly political" said a congressman. A congressman speaking the truth - unbelievable! :grin:

PLEASE, don't close the thread because of me, please!

One of the Texas delegation observed that when the 1st man landed on the moon he called Houston not New York. "Houston we have landed." Not political- just historical.

....... Houston certainly had a good claim, from the perspective of its historical role, but it's not what I'd view as a favored tourist destination.

I'm sure that each of the candidate cities/museums had good rationale for their bids, but NYC makes sense to even this Midwesterner. It is America's largest city, by a large margin, the epicenter of world commerce, and is among the most visited cities in America. The Intrepid Museum is nothing short of fantastic, featuring a huge range of machines from the aerospace age. And, from another perspective, NYC is certainly viewed as our most international city by the rest of the world.

Certainly some merit in that but what is the distance to the Smithsonian from NY, NY? All of 250 miles or so.

Of course from what I gather, building Mission Control in Huston to begin with was a political move so perhaps what goes around, comes around.

I'm a sentimentalist so I would like to see it go to the most DESERVING local with a historical connection.

Not sure that the LA location is best but feel strongly that one belongs in So-Cal due to its strong connection to the program.

If this goes NY,NY's way (very likely), then take solace that at least part(s) of the first operational craft will always rest in Texas :cry:

Archived