IGNORED

Anyone owned both the R12RT and the Kawasaki Concourse?

AdirondackJack

AdirondackJack

One of my motorcycle safety students asked me to compare these two bikes. having only owned the RT, I was at a loss as to how to respond. Anyone have some good input here?

Apples and Oranges.

I've had an RS, GS, GSA and a C-14. (Have ridden RT's several times)

Boxer vs. Inline 4. The C-14 is a lot of bike for the money but I'd buy used if I were buying. They don't hold value well at all.

For me, I just like the boxer (twin) motor with the BMW front end suspensions better. The C-14 has tons of power once you get it above 5 grand and on the pipe.

It is all what fits your riding style best.

I don't have much input here but I sat on a Concourse after I had about 3K miles on my RT. I think it felt small. I am 6' tall and I really like how substantial the fairing and all feels on the RT. Also the side bags were a bit smaller too on the concourse. I love the large side bags and my top case on the BMW, my wife and I always carry too much crap.

It did feel like the concourse would have more of a sportier feel and I guess combined with the motor it would feel quite fun.

There are a couple of good posts that you'll find here via a search.

It's often easier to search the net for individual reviews and then do the comparison yourself.

A lot of mag reviews use the K1300Gt instead of the RT for comparison. One good example HERE

Good spec comparisons here.

a police track comparison of the Concourse, BMW RTP, and two Harley models:

http://acopswatch.blogspot.com/2010/09/kawasaki-nips-bmw-at-michigan-state.html

I think this is about as fairly comparative as it gets. The cops don't mess around so this testing probably shows the reality of the bikes side by side with comparable setups.

Concourse, 1, RT, 0

This will of course give BMW something to shoot for.

The next set of tests might turn out to be different.

a police track comparison of the Concourse, BMW RTP, and two Harley models:

http://acopswatch.blogspot.com/2010/09/kawasaki-nips-bmw-at-michigan-state.html

I think this is about as fairly comparative as it gets. The cops don't mess around so this testing probably shows the reality of the bikes side by side with comparable setups.

Concourse, 1, RT, 0

This will of course give BMW something to shoot for.

The next set of tests might turn out to be different.

For the purposes of police work, I would agree that the comparison is very fair. From the standpoint of a sport touring rider, lower weight, better suspension, 2 up comfort may be more important than raw acceleration and braking. Plus, some of us think we can do our own maintenance on the Beemer.....The Concours, do not try this at home......

Wow! That isn’t saying much for that multi cylinder Kawasaki if it only beat the old luddite 2 cylinder BMW by .2 (2/10) of a second 0-60. Even the braking distance difference of 1.9 feet isn’t anything to brag about unless both bikes had the same rider and exact same tires.

The article seems to make a big deal of getting up to speed fast as being a danger to the motor officer. I wonder if either bike had traction control for the testing?

DR,

Faulty memory, but I think I recall sumptin about them limiting the rpm band on the Connie. (told to stay under XX rpm's)

No surprise that it may be faster in straight line.

Usually MSU has a vaiety of riders and skill levels using the bikes and riding the real world course.

Seem to recall the RT did well in that comparo.

Having ridden many miles with a buddy with a C14, I will guarantee that the RT gets better mileage.......And runs well on lower octane gas tha the C14 will tolerate.

Wow! That isn’t saying much for that multi cylinder Kawasaki if it only beat the old luddite 2 cylinder BMW by .2 (2/10) of a second 0-60. Even the braking distance difference of 1.9 feet isn’t anything to brag about unless both bikes had the same rider and exact same tires.

The article seems to make a big deal of getting up to speed fast as being a danger to the motor officer. I wonder if either bike had traction control for the testing?

Also only 4 Mph between the two at top speed? where is that extra power going?

Archived