IGNORED

R1200ST Battery Advice needed

DUBLINCHRIS

DUBLINCHRIS

Its that time again and battery number 3 has gone down after long winter lay-up. Once again it has been hooked up to the BMW Tender and despite my checking and starting her up a couple of times when the day came a couple of weeks ago she started to play up. I hooked up my Optimate direct to battery and all looked good - green light on for full charge so I unhooked charger wheeled bike out and started her up - all good- went for short spin around block and then brought bike back home to go over other things like tyres etc. After about half an hour I went to start her up again but click.. click.. solenoid but no start up!

Put her back on optimate and in time back to green but same result one start and thats it - battery just not holding charge so looks like no. 3 is for the bin!.

My question is this - I want to change from BMW Battery to maybe Yuasa battery - can anyone recommend the correct part number for Yuasa battery for the ST?. I was also advised about an Odyssey battery but believe this might need alteration to wiring to accept battery.Anyone ever put Odyssey make into an ST?

I know this subject has come up lots of times before and I have been guilty of posting on subject before but thought I had got it right with charging during lay up but it has not worked again this time.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Chris

Its that time again and battery number 3 has gone down after long winter lay-up. Once again it has been hooked up to the BMW Tender and despite my checking and starting her up a couple of times when the day came a couple of weeks ago she started to play up. I hooked up my Optimate direct to battery and all looked good - green light on for full charge so I unhooked charger wheeled bike out and started her up - all good- went for short spin around block and then brought bike back home to go over other things like tyres etc. After about half an hour I went to start her up again but click.. click.. solenoid but no start up!

Put her back on optimate and in time back to green but same result one start and thats it - battery just not holding charge so looks like no. 3 is for the bin!.

My question is this - I want to change from BMW Battery to maybe Yuasa battery - can anyone recommend the correct part number for Yuasa battery for the ST?. I was also advised about an Odyssey battery but believe this might need alteration to wiring to accept battery.Anyone ever put Odyssey make into an ST?

I know this subject has come up lots of times before and I have been guilty of posting on subject before but thought I had got it right with charging during lay up but it has not worked again this time.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Chris

Go neiri an bothar leat etc ..

Do the Odyssey - it's a straight fit on the RT so I can't imagine it can be much different on the ST - it does need little posts to screw to teh battery but they provide those with the battery for a couple of quid extra.

also - have you heard about Rospa (advanced riding) in Dublin? I can put you in touch if you want ....

The R1200RT has a larger capacity battery than the rest of the R1200s (more electrical junk). I believe the PC535 is the correct battery for the ST.

Ever consider a Shorai lithium battery?

www.shoraipower.com

Nice write ups recently in MC Consumer News and other mags.

Pricey but perhaps worth it.

One of the advavtages is the light weight and small size. They come with an assorment of pads/spacers to fill the gaps in the battery box. The ST isn't listed, but as long as the +/- are on the correct side perhaps one would work.

When the time comes, think I'm going to try one.

Dmilan

DUBLINCHRIS

Go neiri an bothar leat etc ..

Nice one there RoSpa_man!!!! do you know Mick Ganly???

good mate of mine. Think I might be a bit advanced myself!!

Thanks for the advice on Odyssey. Love my ST even though it seems to be fading out on manufacturers lists. One P. Maddock suggested I leave bike in to have it adapted to take an Odyssey but also added it that it would be a long term solution. I have a BMW Tender and Optimate and have been down this road twice before 2006 under warranty + updates then 2008 even with the BMW Tender and now 2011 with tender and Optimate each time the BMW battery so its time for a change.

I did find a thread after I posted my question which went through the options. Did use search button first but no matter what I put in re battery nothing relevant came up!

Slán agus .....

DublinChris

DUBLINCHRIS
The R1200RT has a larger capacity battery than the rest of the R1200s (more electrical junk). I believe the PC535 is the correct battery for the ST.

thanks!

DUBLINCHRIS

www.shoraipower.com

One of the advavtages is the light weight and small size. They come with an assorment of pads/spacers to fill the gaps in the battery box. The ST isn't listed, but as long as the +/- are on the correct side perhaps one would work.

Dmilan

will check it out. Thanks

www.shoraipower.com

Dmilan

+1 .............I have been thinking the same.

BTW, I have my suspicions on the initial servicing of many wet cell batteries. I'm on my 3rd as well and I bought from Walmart unserviced. I followed the directions with the battery so I know it was done properly. We'll see how long it lasts.

DUBLINCHRIS

Looks like I am going to go with Yuasa for now. Availabilty on others not so good. As far as I can determine the YTX14BS seems to be the correct one for the ST. Would anyone have a definite opinion on this? Ideally someone with an ST who has fitted a Yuasa.

Havent found an exact cross reference and Yuasa dont mention specifically the ST.

Thanks in advance.

Chris :Cool:

DUBLINCHRIS
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/odyssey-pc535-agm-drycell-battery.html

I had not problem with my order.. figured my 2005 needed replacing. IMO Odyssey is a great battery.

Did battery fit straight in without any mods to wiring etc?

Mail order from here in Ireland often does not work because address details not recognised also we get hit with duty/taxes on import which makes cost higher. If I knew that your Odessey was straight fit I might try locate a dealer this side of the Atlantic.

Thanks Chris

Chris-

There is no comparison between an Enersys and a Yuasa (check specs on shelf life, expected life, op / storage temp, etc. etc.). If you can fit the Odyssey (and I don't see why you can't) then you should go that way.

-MKL

I just replaced the BMW battery in my R1200ST with a Westco Gel battery. It was a perfect fit and purchased locally - an all round good value.

The PC 535 works just fine in the ST. The ST and the R1200GS take the same battery.

Jim :Cool:

I too may well be replacing my ST battery soon. I can get the BMW AGM or the Odyssey PC535 for roughly the same price. Is there any difference in quality (both are AGM) - I am inclined to just go for the BMW again as it will obviously have the right terminals but if PC535 will last longer then I will go for that ? Any advise ?

Regards

Mike

DUBLINCHRIS
The PC 535 works just fine in the ST. The ST and the R1200GS take the same battery.

Jim :Cool:

I too may well be replacing my ST battery soon. I can get the BMW AGM or the Odyssey PC535 for roughly the same price. Is there any difference in quality (both are AGM) - I am inclined to just go for the BMW again as it will obviously have the right terminals but if PC535 will last longer then I will go for that ? Any advise ?

Regards

Mike

All I can say at this stage is that I have now gone through 3 of the original BMW batteries and just cannot seem to get two winters out of those batteries. This even with use of BMW Battery tender and also Optimate charger. Its now time for a change and it seems the general opinion is that the Odyssey is the best although due to local supply issues I will probably end up getting a Yuasa. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

As for fit... sorry, but I won't be able to tell you until Saturday... arrived yesterday... should be no problem... had bookmarked this battery from similar posts a while ago.. waiting for right time... Other's, above agree.. great battery. Have used them before...

Is there any difference in quality (both are AGM)

Both a moped and an ST have two wheels as well. That's about the level of disparity between BMW (or any other AGM / lead acid brand) and Enersys. There is no comparison. Not in shelf life (4-6x as long), not in overall life (twice as long), not in storage or operating temp capability, and so on. No comparison whatsoever. The BMW is a $50 Exide rebadged and sold to you for more than an Enersys which is truly worth what it costs.

-MKL

The PC 535 Does NOT fit in my ST. Too wide. Even if crammed in, will not let the front seat mount gizmo clip onto its retaining bars! If it fits a GS, I have one in NJ for a real steal! Has anyone actually fit a PC 535 (P) into a ST? What size Westco gel tit?

May want to move this post to a different place...

since the PC535 did not fit... I began looking for batteries locally. Ended up at a Battery Plus store. Brought in my BMW battery. The guy behind the counter laughed. He pulled out a X2-14 Xtreme Brand X2 Power. EXACT same battery as the BMW- Decca (sp?) battery. Same as Harleys. Called my local repair shop- they also had US made 2 year warranty battery $160. Price at Battery Plus--$97 and a $15 rebate. I have NO interest in Battery Plus, but given all these posts about batteries, wanted to pass along the info. Good news, I can sell my new Odyssey- but at half the price I paid for it!

DUBLINCHRIS
May want to move this post to a different place...

since the PC535 did not fit... I began looking for batteries locally. Ended up at a Battery Plus store. Brought in my BMW battery. The guy behind the counter laughed. He pulled out a X2-14 Xtreme Brand X2 Power. EXACT same battery as the BMW- Decca (sp?) battery. Same as Harleys. Called my local repair shop- they also had US made 2 year warranty battery $160. Price at Battery Plus--$97 and a $15 rebate. I have NO interest in Battery Plus, but given all these posts about batteries, wanted to pass along the info. Good news, I can sell my new Odyssey- but at half the price I paid for it!

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESEARCH! :clap: Seems the BMW Battery here is an exide battery just rebranded BMW. I have bought a Yuasa which I will try put in tomorrow :thumbsup:

DUBLINCHRIS

:cool:Fitted the Yuasa at weekend. All good now, Yuasa was perfect fit. Early days I know so will report back in 3 years :clap:

Archived