IGNORED

New EPA compliant after-market exhaust systems announced

Deadboy

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Too bad it took a law for them to realize that their pipes were too loud.

FWIW, I had a nice discourse with the director of Leo Vince after my open letter to Tim Calhoun. It seems that they were loosing market share to companies like Yoshimura because their compliant pipes and slip-ons were seen as "too restricting" even though they flowed more exhaust than some of the competitors because people equate power with noise.

Does anyone actually realize a performance benefit of any sort with an after market exhaust on the RT??

If not, then its an awful lot of bucks just to sound better, and even THAT aspect of it is questionable (IMO).

Based on all the after market exhaust related postings on ADVRider pertaining to the R1200GS, the main benefit on SOME of the systems is strictly in weight savings.

As far the HP/performance area, seems a very minimal if any improvement.

Of course they have. When this kind of stuff (the new standards) comes along the manufactures all scream and posture about how it will destroy their business, cost jobs, ruin motorcycling (or whatever), ‘the sky is falling, the sky is falling.’ The same old tired refrain has been sung sense the very first pollution / noise / safety improvement was proposed.

But you know what? When push comes to shove and they’re faced with figuring it out or going out of business – they buckle down a get it figured out. And if you can’t, guess what – someone else will. You can cry all the way to the poor house about how regulation is killing you, but be sure to wave to those going the other way that had more gumption.

Too bad it took a law for them to realize that their pipes were too loud.

FWIW, I had a nice discourse with the director of Leo Vince after my open letter to Tim Calhoun. It seems that they were loosing market share to companies like Yoshimura because their compliant pipes and slip-ons were seen as "too restricting" even though they flowed more exhaust than some of the competitors because people equate power with noise.

Slight thread hijack....

I bought my K12s used and it came with a Two Brothers pipe that hurt my ears and caused motorists to manuever away from me when I came up alongside them. I did some due diligence and found that Leo Vince was quieter and had no adverse impact on the bike's performance. As for aftermarket pipes in general my only other experience was with a KRS that I also bought used. It came with a Ztechnik pipe that seemed to give the bike a boost compared to stock KRS' and the sound level was reasonable.

Interesting perspective Ken, I would be really curious to know what effect you think this has on pollution or noise. I see nothing here that will actually accomplish anything other than reduced choice for the consumer and increased cost.

They had an opportunity to adopt a meaningful sound standard but didn't.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Interesting perspective Ken, I would be really curious to know what effect you think this has on pollution or noise. I see nothing here that will actually accomplish anything other than reduced choice for the consumer and increased cost.

They had an opportunity to adopt a meaningful sound standard but didn't.

[stirring the pot]

...as did all the motorcyclists have an opportunity to not put absurdly loud pipes on their bikes...

[/stirring the pot]

It's a two-way street on this topic. Everyone had a chance, starting with the motorcyclists and no one took it. The end result is a poorly written piece of crap bill that is "in your face" to all the loud-pipes crowd who have been putting it "in our face" for far too long.

I'm not saying that two wrongs make a right. I'm saying that people are tired of inconsiderate motorcyclists and they're not going to work with them to make a law that is acceptable to the motorcyclist.

And you would be right, but the law (CA SB 435) only requires a label.....so a quiet non-labeled exhaust (like the Leo Vince you previously mentioned) would be illegal but a modified stock (or properly labeled but modified after-market) pipe would be "legal" as far as enforcement of this law is concerned (ignoring the other applicable laws for the moment).

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_bill_20100928_chaptered.html

SECTION 1. Section 27202.1 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

27202.1. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, a person shall not

park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the State of

California, that does not bear the required applicable federal

Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system label pursuant to

Subparts D (commencing with Section 205.150) and E (commencing with

Section 205.164) of Part 205 of Title 40 of the Code of Federal

Regulations. A violation of this section shall be considered a

mechanical violation and a peace officer shall not stop a motorcycle solely

on a suspicion of a violation of this section. A peace officer shall cite a

violation of this section as a secondary infraction.

Archived