IGNORED

Gerbing Liner

Lmar

I purchased a Gerbing liner, controller and storage bag last week. I had it shipped to Arizona when we were down there for spring break.

Nice liner and fits me perfect. I like the long sleeve length option. I hooked it up to the bike last night. It warms up quickly.

For the last 11 years I wore a widder vest with arm chaps. I found the arm chaps a real pain to put on. I am looking forward to the convenience and comfort of the liner.

So now I am looking at purchasing some heated gloves. Which pair would you guys recommend, G3 or T5 and why?

I am very satisfied with my G3's.

Toasty, comfortable and flexible. Not much different than a simple winter glove, except my hands are never cold.

I highly recommend that you have separate heat control for the gloves.

Previously I had the old puffy version of Gerbing heated glove. They were everything that the G3's aren't. I didn't like wearing them and chose to instead wear glove liners and my old Harley winter gloves.

Paul Mihalka

+1 on the G3 gloves. They feel like lighter weight winter gloves. I can ride with them all day. A dual controller may be nice, but I'm OK with a single. I prefer not having one additional wire to plug in and hanging around. I have some flexibility with adding the heat of the grips or not.

I highly recommend that you have separate heat control for the gloves.

Ditto. I have the separate control & usually end up setting my gloves about 1/4+ turn lower than the jacket. Often have the jacket on full & the gloves at half + a skooch. I use the heated grips on low usually (only go high when it's so cold I've got the gloves, jacket & seat on high too). The extra wire connect is no biggie. You can get little curly stretchy extensions if the one from the jacket is too short.

I have an older Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. The only failure of any of the gear was from connecting the gloves to the jacket. The wires broke at the base of the coax connectors on the gloves from being repeatedly folded due to the combination of length of the jacket sleeve/glove wires when connected. Gerbing repaired it without question (even though it was not 'heating element'). I still connect the gloves to the sleeves just so as not to hassle with the extra wires. Must be time for updated gear by now!

Paul Mihalka
I have an older Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. The only failure of any of the gear was from connecting the gloves to the jacket. The wires broke at the base of the coax connectors on the gloves from being repeatedly folded due to the combination of length of the jacket sleeve/glove wires when connected. Gerbing repaired it without question (even though it was not 'heating element'). I still connect the gloves to the sleeves just so as not to hassle with the extra wires. Must be time for updated gear by now!

Even with dual control you would connect the gloves to the sleeves. Depends on the vintage of your jacket. The ones that are not that old have a separate circuit for the gloves and a separate plug-in.

Ditto that ditto.

I've been using the G3's daily this winter on the commute. I've been using the Warm & Safe wireless controller though with just the knobs sticking out of my tank bag, one connection but two zone controls works sweet.

I have the T-5's, full vest, dual controller. The gloves are pretty much instant heat. They are waterproof and very good for winter. They are a bit bulky. I tried on the G3 and T5 at my dealer and just decided the T5 was a better unit. Do some researh on the Gerbing site as I think I remember the T5's have a few more heating elements. For me they are the cat's meow in winter and rain.

Paul Mihalka
Do you think the G3's are warm enough for this Canadian climate?

How would the G3"s perform at 30 degrees?

I did long Sunday rides starting a 25 in the morning - later warmed all the way to 40 - and the G3 was fine on the same circuit as the jacket, with the controller at about 3/4. That on a GS, less protective than a RT.

Old style full liner and G 3's.

Single controller.

Ridden in teens.

That usually requires adding silk glove liners and the Aerostitch Triple Digit covers.

With that set up no need for heated grips and good to go.

Sorry for the late reply. I used them in that range with no issues, it did help running a separate line for controlling them. My hands get cold easily but my core runs fairly warm, if I run both on one circuit I find when my hands are warm my torso and back are too hot.

They work great for me in the 30's in NH, I too recommend the duel controller, I've used heated clothing from BMW,Widder,Stitch, and Gerbing stuff in my opinion is the warmest and the only one I had to use a controller with, the others I just cycled on/off as needed. G3 gloves are nice, order at least one size up.

The ones that are not that old have a separate circuit for the gloves and a separate plug-in.

With a newer jacket (2-circuit) do you have to have a dual or 2 controller(s) to use the gloves with the liner?

The ones that are not that old have a separate circuit for the gloves and a separate plug-in.

With a newer jacket (2-circuit) do you have to have a dual or 2 controller(s) to use the gloves with the liner?

I believe you need either the dual controller or a splitters.

This is from the Gerbings website:

Note: If you are purchasing a single controller to use with one of our jackets which are wired with our Dual 2 wiring systems, you will need to purchase a splitter if you choose to operate other heated clothing with the jacket.

Morning John

You don’t have to use a splitter but you do need to use something to route power out of one jacket liner plug then back into another.

I use both a dual controller and single controller depending on what heated gear or the ambient temps.

To use a single controller with the late jacket liner and heated gloves I use a very short jumper with a male plug on one end and female on the other end. I then power the center liner plug with the single controller and simply jump the R/H plug back into the L/H plug on the liner. No big reason to do it that way other than I don’t have the splitter harness hanging out of my coat to catch on things and it keeps the single controller routing shorter without catch loops and away from my tank paint. Works exceptionally well for off road riding as the wire runs are direct so nothing for branches to catch on and pull the wires loose.

Linerpigtail.jpg

It's tough to calculate at what temps a glove might be more efficient or less efficient because you can never be sure of other factors, such as wind (which can increase the wind chill temp), humidity (which can make the air feel a LOT colder) and the type of bike and innate hand protection it provides.

If you're riding an RT, you have good built-in wind deflection on that bike and therefore the G3's should be fine at those temps. However, if you were riding a cruiser, where there's no fairing to help deflect the air, I might suggest the T5's, just to add a little extra insulation to the mix. Electrically, the G3's and T5's are identical, with the same amount of wire routed to the same places on each. It's the amount of insulation that differs (more on the T5) and then in order to deal with the thickness of the extra insulation, the T5's are made with sewn-in flex points at the knuckles.

Next time I am at my dealers I will take a look at the G3's and try them on. It seems by the recommendations that the G3's would be warm enough.

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

FWIW, during my winter gear test for MCN published April 2010 (which the G3s won, by the way) I tested down to +15F, and spent weeks riding below freezing temps all around NY, NJ, and PA on my 2004 RT. The G3s never missed a beat and never left me cold.

I found the EXO Stormshield gloves actually warmed up fastest, and @ 7W each drew only half the wattage of all the other gloves (Gerbing's included). But I put them in second because they cost (at the time) about $100 more per pair than the G3s, and also weren't as "cushy" and luxurious feeling as the G3s. However, for that added price they offer much more reinforcement than the G3s and would almost certainly offer more crash protection. Decisions, decisions....

You can't go wrong with either set, but my main point here was I tested at sustained highway speeds in below freezing, for hours, no problem.

-MKL

Archived