IGNORED

$50 Rebates on Spot Tracker

drswift

Cycle Gear is offering a $50 rebate on SPOT.

SPOT LINK

With one of these your wife can keep tabs on you, and you have backup when you're out of cell range in the boonies. :thumbsup:

Good price for a great unit. I use mine all the time when traveling. The required lithium batteries are expensive; I purchase mine by the dozen on Ebay from Hong Kong at a much better price.

Is there a monthly fee for these units? If so how much?

I can see it would be a good thing to have when traveling alone or out in the bush.

Pricing for service plans here, I chose the basic plan + the tracking option; annual price about $150, which I think is reasonable.
Add in the GEOS service for $13/yr. It provides SAR support & coordination if you hit the 911 button. They'll pay up to 100K for SAR charges. That's stupid cheap for the service even if you have MedJet Assist or something else like that. I use my Spot on my bike & also when in the back country & the folks back home all have said it's great knowing that I am safe vs. thinking I probably am.
Starfighter

I just renewed but dropped the tracking option because it really uses batteries........

When I'm on the road, I just hit the "O.K." button every time I change roads..........

Some poeple call it a short leash.....I call it a very, very long leash................

I'm about due to renew my SPOT 1 functions. Does anybody know if there are any rebates for 'renewing' services? i have all three services, tracking, roadside assistance and the 911 insurance.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ride Safe, Robert

Welcome on board deerhead.

Nice Bike! I had one, loved it, really wish I still had it.

SPOT 1... no rebates I know of. There WAS one for upgrading to the SPOT 2, but that is old business.

The new SPOT 3 which integrates to your smartphone. An interesting device.

I think the SPOT 2 is far better than the first edition.

I think the SPOT 2 is far better than the first edition.

Huh. I picked the Spot 1 over the Spot 2 due to the battery life. I get a good 2 weeks (with tracking on) with the Spot 1 AA lithium batteries (2). Spot 2 uses AAAs (3) if I recall and don't make a week. Okay on a bike where I can bring extra or carry them without a weight penalty but a deal breaker on a backpacking trip (I'm a mostly-ultralighter). The 2's custom msg feature is good but I use the OK button for a generic "I'm good" and the Help button for an "not an emergency, call me" msg with the 911 "oh crap, send in the choppers" msg.

It really is one of those things where you need to match the tool to the mission.

Starfighter

I have the Spot (2?) messenger......

Tracking on a long trip uses batteries at the rate of one set for 2 days.and way too detailed...so....

I discontinued tracking.

I hit "O.K." every time I change roads....or about every 1-2 hours.

I use the "help" for a message to my son that I have no cell tower and please dispatch my road service.......

"message" goes to wife with a request for camping/weather research along my route.

"911" is...well..911

For those afraid it's a "short leash" nobody knows your location unless you opt to let them know....

malcolmblalock

I have the original Spot (Spot 1?), but batteries last forever. My first set of batteries lasted 1.5 riding seasons (somewhere around 30,000 miles). I use tracking when I ride so family can see where I've been.

How is it that mine is so good on batteries and other Spot1s seem to use up batteries so fast? It is tracking; I review my rides, and, while there's an occasional missed "track" probably 95% of the tracks show up.

Do others have experience like mine?

rebates are limited to specif purchase dates- some of which are expired. some do not start yet - read the rebate time limit purchases for the particular store. I see that cycle gear starts next week, Cabella's has expired.

Batteries?

I used the SPOT 1 for almost a year. Never changed the battery.

I updadted to SPOT 2... been from SLC to/From Houston 2 days each way... and to/from Un Rally... 2days each way, and Torrey too many times to count.

Always use tracking...

I will let you know when the batteries need changing.

rebates are limited to specif purchase dates- some of which are expired. some do not start yet - read the rebate time limit purchases for the particular store. I see that cycle gear starts next week, Cabella's has expired.

Good catch. I hadn't noticed the fine print, even if it wasn't all that fine.

Made the SPOT 2 purchase Leap @ West Marine today (Adventure Kit also comes with a 15% service discount). :thumbsup:

The adventure case seems to be a stronger and more protective case than the one packed with the SPOT, lanyard whistle, bandanna, mini light. Nice bunch of Sundries for the upcoming journeys

I have to study up on this stuff. Lights, red and green, Priority signals, contacts SMS, text, now I have to find the best of the services they provide. Do I need the tracking feature for the Spot adventures page? :S I do not think so, I think I can just hit the OK button as some said...................

"I just renewed but dropped the tracking option because it really uses batteries........

When I'm on the road, I just hit the "O.K." button every time I change roads.........."

I Will take advantage of the GEOS service, sounds like a good deal as I have had heart trouble in the past, you never know.

This option will probably save on the Batteries also. Now to figure out what some good messages should be. What do you guys use or suggestions from other sites?

SPOT adventures is sort of an accessory service. It allows you to post your Adventures so others can see.... its a Blog sort of thing, I think.

I have found Spot Customer service to be fairly helpful, and the Spot website fairly obscure. Call the 800 number and they will walk you through all of it, the unit, the website etc.

Welcome on board.

Archived