IGNORED

Credit card compromised today.

Smoky

This seems to be a common problem.

My CC company phoned this morning, saying they thought they caught a suspicious transaction. They asked if I had made a 96 cent purchase at the Apple Store. Nope not me. They went on to explain that it's common to make a small sample purchase, and if it goes through, then make a big one.

So they are sending a new card and number. Now I have to change all the pre-authorized payments, and try to remember who I have left the number with.

It's a pain, but a small one.

Thanks to the CC company for being diligent.

Thanks to the CC company for being diligent.

Yes, but they do this more for their own protection than yours. You are not liable for fraudulent use of your CC.

Any ideas as to how the criminal got your CC number? I always get a bit nervous in restaurants when my card is taken out of my sight to get swiped.

Jay

I got one of those calls once.......some nimrod charged ~$1000 worth of stuff at BMW of San Francisco.

Unfortunatly, the nimrod was me......Danielle needed a proper riding jacket, and I needed two new tires and an oil change if I wanted to get home. :rofl:

Same thing happened to me. Small charge at the online Apple store.

Apparently using the Apple store is VERY common for cc thieves. In my case, the cc company didn't catch it, I did.

Yes, but they do this more for their own protection than yours. You are not liable for fraudulent use of your CC.

This is included in my rant at them every time they shut me down when I'm on the road despite me calling them and telling them I'm gonna be on the road. "Sir it's for your protection". Me: no, it's for your own, which is fine but would you please make a little effort to not shaft me in the process?

Last time they added this beaut - "sir you overpaid your card by $250 and this triggered the PATRIOT ACT, we had no choice".

Really?

Then they claimed it was for the funds (a bank E-tranfer from my online bill pay) had to clear... turns out fraud prevention didn't tell the regular folks what was going on.

Be careful answering unexpected calls from your credit card company. They may not be your credit card company.

Don't give your personal information to anyone. If legit, the CC company should already have your personal info.

My CC company didn't call when the purchase of 15 individual Harvard Business Magazines were on my card a few years ago. But, I called them. I think they were asleep in the "tower", especially since the purchases were all made within one minute. Another time I got an i-Tunes purchase on it, which I didn't make, for a $1.29. Both times I had to get a different card.

Also on a trip the gas station pump wouldn't give me an authorization. When I finally got hold of the CC company they said they put a freeze on the card because of irregular activity...somebody was making small gasoline purchases throughout western states...sure, I said, it's me and I'm on a motorcycle trip. Sometimes a little too much protection, but I'm glad they are there, because there are too many crooks doing this kind of crime.

...Also on a trip the gas station pump wouldn't give me an authorization. When I finally got hold of the CC company they said they put a freeze on the card because of irregular activity...somebody was making small gasoline purchases throughout western states...sure, I said, it's me and I'm on a motorcycle trip...

Before setting off on any bike trip (save for day rides), I call my CC companies (I carry three cards) and my bank (debit card) to alert them, not just to the fact that I'm traveling, and where, but that I'll be on a motorcycle, buying small quantities of fuel, on the same day, at locations some distance apart. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt. I once had my debit card shut down while in Colorado on the bike. Bank would only turn it back on if I visited my branch in person.

The Credit card company can assist you with identifying those auto-pays if it is with them rather than the vendor. The vendor won't be notified the card was cancelled, they get the bounced transaction and will be reaching out to you for new info.

My card is set up to shoot me an email with the details of every transaction at the time it occurs.
I'd like that but have never seen it offered.

Just checked and can have an email sent ofr each purchase over $20 or outside the US

When they called, they read back the last few transactions on my statement to see if they were legit.

I didn't suspect that the call was legit, but I wasn't going to give out any numbers or account into.

I call this card when I make a big bike trip, and advise them of expected numerous small gas purchases.

I know I'm not responsible for un-authorized purchases, but I'm glad they caught this early.

Problem is...

What if you weren't home?

The charge WAS yours.

You were riding your bike is a remote place.

Needed gas.

Your card no worky.

It is self service only with no attendant.

No other gas my miles around.

DAMHIK

Happened to me on my business card a couple years ago. I noticed my bank balance showing repeated one dollar holds. Apparently they ping the account to see if it is an active account.

Came in one morning to an empty checking account. Numerous charged between 4:45 and 5:00am. One was for two hundred to a bail bondsman in San Bernadino. Hopefully the bondsband made sure someone ended up in jail.

Bank put the money back that same day and said they would handle the investigation.

Lesson learned, never use a debit card online. Now have a sepearate credit card for all on line purchases.

Lesson learned, never use a debit card online. Now have a sepearate credit card for all on line purchases.

As a courtesy, most credit card companies will now issue you a "one time use" number. It allows you to make one single purchase using a credit card number that will be obsolete once the charge is run through. I have used this on quite a few occasions when buying things online that I was wary about.

I had mine shut off while on a bike trip in 2009. I was 1500 miles from home. I called customer service, they asked me a few questions, and restored it on the spot. They saw purchases uncharacteristic of me. $5 here, $4 there, etc as we motored across the country. All small gas purchases as the one guy riding with us on a Harley Sportser needed gas just about the time my oil reached operating temperature.

Now when I know I am going to do something uncharacteristic, I call in advance and let them know. Haven't had the issue since....also don't ride with the Sportster guy anymore either :grin:

I had mine shut off while on a bike trip in 2009. I was 1500 miles from home. I called customer service, they asked me a few questions, and restored it on the spot.

Yeah, see I did that and they gave me the Patriot act routine. Took a couple days to get it resolved.

I am looking for another card company. Citi rhymes with (another word for) poopy for a reason.

My card is set up to shoot me an email with the details of every transaction at the time it occurs.

Mine, too. The problem is that the email alert typically shows up 4-5 business days after the transaction. They must have recently updated their system, though. Last week I bought a $1200 plane ticket and the email alert showed up in my inbox before I had even printed a transaction confirmation.

If I make a purchase on my card, I usually get an email on my phone before I get to the parking lot. I didn't opt in, they just decided that I 'wanted' it.

As has been said earlier - it is for THEIR protection. If you receive an email every time even small transactions occur, it's awfully hard to convincingly claim you didn't know someone had your card number and was making unauthorized purchases for days (or weeks) before you noticed.

Nice n Easy Rider
Problem is...

What if you weren't home?

The charge WAS yours.

You were riding your bike is a remote place.

Needed gas.

Your card no worky.

It is self service only with no attendant.

No other gas my miles around.

DAMHIK

Whip, you mean a businessman like you only carries one card? They aren't that heavy that they'll slow you down much. :grin:

Happy Birthday Whip. :wave:

Is this option commonly available? I don't use plastic all that much (except when travelling), and I think I could deal with the added volume of e-mail. Thanks for mentioning this -- I'm going to call my bank.

Before leaving for Alaska in July 2006, I called my bank and told them my travel plans, and that if they saw a lot of transactions every day between Atlanta and Alaska over a 6-week period, it was OK.

bayoubengal

Had an interesting one 3 years ago. Fraud dept of my card issuer called saying they were seeing test pings of $1.00 from Turkey. Cancelled the card and issued a new one. Deployed for 2 months and used the new card at deployed location. After my deployment I got in my car and drove from GA to LA buying gas and food along the way. Card rejected at a retailer in Baton Rouge. I called them on the spot, verified identity and turned it back on.

Where did I deploy to and use my card succesfully before returning home and having it slammed shut? Yep, Turkey!

Geaux figure...

that sounds great. If it's not too long to s'plain, how'd you do that?? Thanks.

It is funny ( well not really) you mention that, because I just went through the same thing earlier this week.

Citibank statement showed a charge to a candy store -online order. I called them and said , i did not do such thing. They walked me through the "other" recent charges that was not on the statement yet.

$1 charge to an online T shirt company,

$1 charge to Walmart.com

$790 to newegg.com - computer parts.

$49 to T shirts again.

and a few more online orders.

The $1 charges are test charges by the hackers to see if the card is good , then they go to town with it.

The sad thing is that this credit card is not carried with me, but setup to pay recurring charge to one place only that is Tex tag ( ( Texas hi-way toll boot radio transmitter account refill).

I am curious if this is tied to the recent epsilon hack-in incident.

that sounds great. If it's not too long to s'plain, how'd you do that?? Thanks.

I have had this service for many years. You need to access your credit card account on line. There you will find the option to set up this free notification.

I have always had mobile email on my phone and so as soon as I charge anything or make a deposit or withdrawl at the bank I get an email telling me about it.

I set my CC account to notifiy me of any transaction, no matter the dollar amount. I used to have it set higher, until I too had someone charge $1.00 in an attempt to see if my card was alive.

I set my bank accounts to notify me of anything over $1.00 as well. I know as soon as the bank knows that something is going on. I keep the CC company 800 number in my cell phone. I keep that and other important numbers written on a piece of paper in my pocket. I lost my phone once.

When I travel on the bike I keep 2 credit cards, my license, insurance and cash in my front overpant pocket. I found out the hard way what a PITA it is to lose your wallet.

Also, police are far more comfortable at a stop if I ask to reach into my pant pocket than if I ask to go into my top case. :grin:

Keep the officer comfortable, resemble their Mom and you stand a chance to get a warning. ;) (years ago I could take off my helmet and toss my hair...but those days are gone :rofl: )

It is funny ( well not really) you mention that, because I just went through the same thing earlier this week.

Citibank statement showed a charge to a candy store -online order. I called them and said , i did not do such thing. They walked me through the "other" recent charges that was not on the statement yet.

$1 charge to an online T shirt company,

$1 charge to Walmart.com

$790 to newegg.com - computer parts.

$49 to T shirts again.

and a few more online orders.

The $1 charges are test charges by the hackers to see if the card is good , then they go to town with it.

The sad thing is that this credit card is not carried with me, but setup to pay recurring charge to one place only that is Tex tag ( ( Texas hi-way toll boot radio transmitter account refill).

I am curious if this is tied to the recent epsilon hack-in incident.

While Citi was one of the entities that reported this break in to me, everything I read says that Epsilon only had names and corresponding email addresses. No account numbers or worse.

Unfortunately, one or two of my cc's shut the gas pump off at $75.00. With gas at between $3.79 and 4.05/gal on this crosscountry trip (cage not bike), I'm not thrilled when I don't get a fill up.

I have yet to get one of those calls where the cc company or bank is looking out for me. When I've called about the balance they have been very extra thorough about verifying my information-right down to that freckle on my butt.LOL I'm still leery of this "new fangled internet thing" and don't bank online. If it connects to the net there is no financial data or passwords with the exception of PayPal on the computer. Mark, was it because you were south of the border or were you home that gave you trouble?

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. A small purchase first, then airplane tickets out of the country. Fortunatelly, both were declined by the bank. What a way to wake up early in the morning. Darn, and I had that card number well memorized too!

Lets_Play_Two

It is a wonder how a lot of this happens. About two months ago I saw three charges to my bank account from my debit card that were not mine. These charges were made in NYC the same day I used the card in Tacoma, WA. This card is NEVER out of my possession and I don't use it for online transactions. It is only used where I swipe it, like grocery store, gas station, post office and other misc places where it doesn't leave my hand. Bank replaced the funds in my account and issued new card. They told me that fraudulent debit and credit cards are made with randomly generated account numbers, of course using the 1st four identifier numbers. These are tested with small transactions until they get a "lucky" hit.

My cards have been hacked twice in the past year. Was told another fairly common method is when paying at a restaurant and your card is taken from the table back to the register -- a photo can be quickly taken of card front and back with cell phone camera

Archived