IGNORED

Installing Motolights: need switch power the is off when starting?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

A set of Motolights is scheduled to arrive today. Their website mentioned splicing the switch power into the parking light circuit. Does the parking light go out when you push the starter button?

If not, what about the main headlight? That doesn't even come on until the engine is spinning.

What say you?

SirAubergine

When I put Motolights on my '06 RT, I didn't want them to come on with the parking lights. I instead wanted them to come on with the headlights after the engine starts.

To accomplish this without making permanent mods to the bike, I fabbed a pigtail, with a trigger lead, from a spare headlight connector and some spade terminals.

I inserted the pigtail inline with one of the low-beam headlights and ran the trigger lead to the relay. Power for the Motolights comes from the fused Blue Sea panel under the seat.

I just coiled up the Motolight switch and zip-tied it under the seat. I never use it, but I still can turn the lights off if I choose.

The setup has worked flawlessly since '06. Hope this helps!

Forrest

I used the GPS power lead for the relay on my PIAAs. If the bike is off, the lights can't be on. That saves you from forgetting them and killing the battery. I have a switch mounted within reach and can turn them off or on as desired.

Joe Frickin' Friday
My Motolights are wired to the parking light wire. The lights come on with the key and stay on while the engine is cranking.

Just what I don't want. :grin:

Morning Mitch

One good thing about triggering from the low beam is you can run the engine (in place and in neutral) with the headlight switched off by playing the thumb game with the R/H T/S cancel and T/S levers. That will also kill your Motolights if you use the low beam as a trigger source.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Morning Mitch

One good thing about triggering from the low beam is you can run the engine (in place and in neutral) with the headlight switched off by playing the thumb game with the R/H T/S cancel and T/S levers. That will also kill your Motolights if you use the low beam as a trigger source.

Tell me more about this thumb game. :lurk: ISTR it's possible to run with the headlight off via commands on a GS-911, but it can be done just with handlebar buttons?

Mitch

Start the bike, “then” hold down the turn signal cancel button for five seconds, “then” hold the right turn signal in for another five seconds “then” watch the headlight go off (hopefully)

If the above doesn’t work (doesn’t always respond to 5 seconds) try a little more on the cancel or little less on the cancel. Then try holding the T/S down a little longer. Get it right and the headlight goes out. But it will come back on as soon as you move the bike.

Using a positap, tap into the low beam positive wire. Take off the plastic cap and the wires are there for you. I drilled a tiny hole in the cap for the trigger wire to exit the headlight assembly. Cranks with the aux lights OFF....Sarah.

My motolights are wired to my aftermarket fuse box. The fuse box is live when the key is turned on. This way motolights are always on when riding the bike, just like the head light.

My Motolights are wired to the parking light wire. The lights come on with the key and stay on while the engine is cranking.

Just what I don't want. :grin:

I actually find it useful. Switch the key and I get front lights without starting.

I don't know if you came up with a solution but if you want the lights to shut off when cranking you can use a normally closed relay.

Install the power feed to the lights on terminal 30 and 87a of the relay. Ground relay terminal 85. Attach relay terminal 86 to the starter relay (either at the starter or the start inhibit relay by the diagnostic connector) When the starter is operated the relay will open and break the connection between 30 and 87a (feed to your lights) and they will go off when cranking.

there is actually a "OEM" style solution, no fabbing, or splicing. I have it on my ST. Can not remember the company, but BMW of Atlanta sells them as do most BMW shops. Just tell them you need the "switch" connector to run off your headlights. It is a "connector" that fits between your OEM connector and your light bulb. out of this connector comes two wires one for low beam and one for high beam. you can connect the two together for always on, or use each wire to trigger different items. as some noted above, I also run my trigger into the centech ap-2 auxilary power and run my moto lights off the auxilary fuse panel. then I run the moto lights into a "switch" mounted into my dash and I can over ride the "ON" status and manually turn them off. I have wired numerous sets of moto lights this way and always with great success.

Archived