IGNORED

No more Z6's - now Z8's

NonComp

I've been running an ME880 on the back of my Roadster and was about to replace the front with a Z6, but was told that there is no more stock and they are now Z8's.

Anyone have any experience with Z8's? Is this a dual compound tire? Would you mix it with an ME880 rear?

Afternoon NonComp

Yes that seems true. I heard about the Z-6 going away last year so bought a few fronts and 4 rears (actually bought the last rears they had from 2 places )

I have been extremely happy with the Z-6 for my bike, my riding style, & the roads I ride on. I usually use the whole tire from outer edge to outer edge so the older style Z-6 seems to wear nice and even all the way across with little step wear.

I don’t know what to tell you on the new Z-8. Personally I had terrible wear characteristics on the PR-2s with the 2 compounds and got a lot of step wear with the outside softer wearing fast & really strange. With that in mind I’m not a big fan of dual compound tires (at least for me).

Not sure what the new Z-8 will do but personally I’m staying away from the multi compound tires until there is a decent progressive compound so I don’t get that wear difference between the soft outer and harder center.

As far as mixing the ME880 and the Z-8? That might work very well but then again it might not. Those tires are far enough apart in compound and usage that you might feel the difference.

I would say that if you want to go to the Z-8 front, try it, if it doesn’t work out to your liking you can always put a Z-8 on the rear to go with the front.

Good points. The vendor says that the Z8 is not really a dual compound tire. He claims that it is belted to behave like a dual compound tire.

Anyway, I've ordered one. As you say, if it doesn't play well with the existing rear, I can always replace it.

More info here:

Metzler product page - Z8

The Z8 looks like an evolution of the Z6 Interact. Interact, here, is the varying belt tension that allows the center tread to be stiff and run cool while the outer tread flexes more and becomes softer. One tread compound with varying friction characteristics across the tire.

I thought the Z8 wasn't available until June or so. Can't wait to try 'em!

I am installing these on my 2004 rt. We'll see. I managed over 10,000 on the last set of Z6. Yes, I should have changed a bit sooner! In any case I will come back and report.

I admit to complete ignorance about correctly seeing the wear bars on my previous Metzeler Z6 tires. I will report back Wednesday when the new Metzelers are on the bike. I will look more carefully and show a photo if possible.

I admit to complete ignorance about correctly seeing the wear bars on my previous Metzeler Z6 tires. I will report back Wednesday when the new Metzelers are on the bike. I will look more carefully and show a photo if possible.

You have no choice but to admit it after the photo you showed me.

:dopeslap:

But, in your defense, that is/was one of the shortcomings of the Z6s.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the tires 600 miles of break-in and they are very fine in all respects. I gave them lots of backroad twisties after the initial 100 mile break-in. Nice grab, smooth and perhaps better than my last Z6 (non-Interact). We'll see about mileage...

Barona021.jpg

Archived