IGNORED

Some time ago: One that got away - me

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

The "one that got away" thread reminded me of a scenario a few month ago. Scenario: Wide two-lane country road with wide shoulders. Speed limit 50. Small cross road going left and right. I am stopped, to make a left turn, near the center line. On comes a fairly big truck and stops in front of me to make a left turn, to the right of me. As he stopped and I see nothing else, I initiate my left turn and go. The moment I see past the nose of the truck I see a car coming on the shoulder at regular highway speed. He brakes hard, I accelerate, we missed each other by about 2 feet.

Conclusion: I didn't see him behind the truck, he didn't see me in front. I would guess that with the truck slowing down the car already had one wheel on the shoulder. The car was probably wrong, but that does not help me if I'm dead.

Lesson: In similar situations when I turn left I very slowly inch ahead in front of the truck until I see that the road is clear.

I've always had bikes with 650cc's or above for the times I needed to accelerate out of the danger zone like you did. It's best, as you know, to look and hope to avoid the danger in the first place but if you can't you better have the power to hammer it.

Cars passing on the right of a left turning vehicle is a MAJOR pet pieve of mine. I have had similar experiences in the past that have resulted in a good pucker.

The other related thing I've had happen is that I have been the one behind the left turning vehicle. I slow to allow the vehicle to clear the lane, and then accelerate back up to road speed only to realize that some asshat is now between me and the shoulder on my right side (usually their front wheels are about even with my back wheel at this time). Instead of patiently waiting behind me, they try to go around me and the left turning vehicle. There is one particular area of my commute that this happens on a weekly basis. It has taught me to watch my mirrors like a hawk and defend my space by exagerating my intentions of where I am going.

Scary stuff out there some days.......and people aren't getting any smarter

Archived