IGNORED

Deer & Rabbit (and pretty much everything else) Repellent

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Lately we've seen more and more deer around our house. Last Sunday morning (a week ago) a trio wandered through our yard, nibbling on the landscaping as they went. After reading that they particularly like tulips, Masako and I had an "uh-oh" moment, as we had planted a substantial number of tulip bulbs last fall.

Perfect timing: the tulip greens were just starting to show yesterday, and haven't been nibbled on yet. We were at Home Depot yesterday afternoon (buying parts to repair the sprinkler system because SOMEBODY didn't drain it properly last fall :dopeslap:), and spotted a bottle of deer and rabbit repellent, a spray-on product.

The two primary active ingredients are garlic and "putrescent egg solids." They claim it's virtually odorless after it's dried, but that "you may notice an odor while applying."

:eek:

This is a bald-faced lie. What it should have said was "you will likely struggle not to vomit during application." OHMYGOD. I would rather spend a day in Chernobyl than go out in the yard again without a respirator. I bet even the skunks won't come into our yard again. FWIW, I'm very, VERY glad none of this stuff spilled in the car on the way home.

..and you will most likely find that the deer like the repellent just fine. Adds a little "spice" to those yummy tulip bulbs... :grin:

I use this stuff, Deer Off, in previous years my tulips have been devoured by the deer and rabbits before they were an inch tall, this year they haven't been touched. The link should take you to the 128oz concentrate bottle. The regular ready to use bottle was $18 at Home Depot which works out at something like 14x the price! They didn't have any concentrate at HD. I can't detect any odour but I don't smell so good, more importantly Janet can't smell it and she smells great.

http://www.amazon.com/DF128CT-Squirrel-Repellent-Concentrate-128-Ounce/dp/B000BX4VWE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302535832&sr=8-3

Only one review there, and the user gave it one star, saying that although it used to work well, they seem to have changed their formula and it's no longer effective...

I just posted my review - the bottle I got this week was not Deer Off II, perhaps they pulled that version.
Leupold-VX-L-Deer-view.jpg

Works for rabbits too...

^^^^^What he said :thumbsup:

And Quinn always like to mention his full proof method for those domesticated deer that live in the 'burbs

apple-full.jpg

+

hammer.jpg

Joe Frickin' Friday
I have a bottle of the same stuff I am going to apply this week. Thanks for the heads up.

More advice:

stand upwind while dispensing, and set the nozzle to a fine stream/jet instead of a spray/mist; you don't want to create an aerosol fog of this stuff. Spray it so that it lands far from your feet so you don't get any splashing on your shoes or pants.

dog hair or human hair, either one you should be able to get for free...works very well...and you'll be happy to know that we did a scientific study that resulted in rabbits eating vegetables with no hair(dog) nearby, they did not eat any that had hair sprinkled around. Up here the hair keeps away the hare.

human hair, either one you should be able to get for free
if only... :dopeslap:

Round here anything that isn't nailed down blows away each day, hair won't stay put for very long.

Killer wrote:

...I don't smell so good...

Sounds like a personal problem :grin:

Thank goodness somebody took me up on my offer!

"Deer off" used to have about.9% capscasin-the hot from chili peppers-in it. Works good until a rain or too many mornings of dew wash it off. It might even keep Killer away when he's not smellin so good. Otherwise remember--feathers near the string, pointy end aimed away from you works good too. :) If I ever get this picture thing down I'll show some lawn rats in numbers you just aren't gonna believe.

I've read that cat scat (or any predator poo) is a moderate deterrent to grazers. No experience with it, but researched it a bit when I was having critter issues at my house in San Diego.

Anecdotally - a client of mine had pretty good success with a motion-sensitive sprinkler. Didn't stop the little varmints, but the deer didn't care for it at all, and were pretty rarely even showing up after a few weeks. Downside? He'd sometimes walk near the garden without remembering to turn it off first. (Doh!)

Otherwise remember--feathers near the string, pointy end aimed away from you works good too. :)

Wouldn't work here at all, inexhaustible supply of deer!

Hey, when they come inside and raid the fridge is when I can get mad. We live inside, they live outside. Keep your purty flowers inside were you live not outside were they live. :)

I have deer, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and about 50 species of birds. Just give them what they want and enjoy the wildlife. Plant resistant plants instead.

Hey, when they come inside and raid the fridge is when I can get mad. We live inside, they live outside. Keep your purty flowers inside were you live not outside were they live. :)

They have 1.6 million acres in this county, I have 1. I'll grow whatever I like and do what it takes to keep the vermin at bay.

Dave McReynolds

They have 1.6 million acres in this county, I have 1. I'll grow whatever I like and do what it takes to keep the vermin at bay.

Vermin? Free groceries, I say.

Ahh Okay what ever you want there Killer!!!

Ahh Okay what ever you want there Killer!!!

I want to hear that from the deer :grin:
markgoodrich

We have deer, too, right here in central Austin. They often SLEEP in our side yard. They ate everything in the front yard, no spray worked for us, until I found deer sprinklers. Motion activated, battery-powered, they shoot out a spray of water which startles the deer. We've not had anything eaten in several years, mostly.

Mostly because the batteries die, we don't notice, and the deer come eat the ivy or impatiens or whatever. But so long as you keep the batteries fresh, and have enough sprinklers aimed strategically, your plants thrive.

They last three or four years, then seem to give up.

You'll probably want to buy splitters for your faucets...zinc sucks, get brass ones, and you'll need a variety of hose lengths. The brand we use is Contech.

Really, these things work.

I've had some success with this. It has to be applied correctly and be allowed to dry completely before it is effective. Can be bought direct from the manufacturer and is available in the UK under another name.

Cheers,

I have had very good success with bars of coast soap spread around the flower beds. I didn't believe it either when I first heard it!I cut them into fourths and distributed it within the plants they seemed to like best...I noticed a marked difference. The bigger you cut them the longer they last. Good luck.

Here are some lawn rats that invaded a small North Dakota village. I think they'll need a train tanker car of Deer & Rabbit repellent. I makes those one or two gareden eating deer seem like less of a problem. Enjoy! :) I mentioned I'd share these when I got the photo thing down.th_103_1266-1.jpg

th_103_1267.jpg

th_103_1268.jpg

th_103_1272.jpg

th_103_1270.jpg

th_103_1269.jpg

th_103_1266.jpg

th_103_1276.jpg

My little herd of rats numbers 13. We do have mountain lions here, have seen the tracks at the bottom of the street down by the river. Not many of them though.

Archived