IGNORED

New member...Spur of the moment buy..

Hamie

Riding with the Saturday morning breakfast group here in Austin yesterday and after riding stopped at Central Texas Powersports for their antique motorcycle display.. this '02 R1150RT had been traded-in.. I have never thought about owning a BMW nor have I ever ridden one..but guess the looks got me.. left my '07 Suzuki Bandit 1250S there and rode the BMW home..interesting ride home..about went over the handlebars the first time I grabbed a hand full of front brakes...going to need help with that throttle, my old wrist will not take that long..way too stiff... looking forward to getting to knowing this bike...

PICT3275.jpg

Wilkommen, Hamie.

That is one nice looking bike. I envy you that seat, sir. Nice background as well. I'm sure the curve won't be too steep.

Nice! I see you know about the new bike picture rule around here! :grin:

A Rick Mayer seat is what I have on my RT, should work for ya! :thumbsup:

Pat

...going to need help with that throttle, my old wrist will not take that long..way too stiff...

You need a throttlerocker or similar device.

Note that some swear by them & others swear at them.

Welcome :wave:

Riding with the Saturday morning breakfast group here in Austin yesterday and after riding stopped at Central Texas Powersports for their antique motorcycle display.. this '02 R1150RT had been traded-in.. I have never thought about owning a BMW nor have I ever ridden one..but guess the looks got me.. left my '07 Suzuki Bandit 1250S there and rode the BMW home..interesting ride home..about went over the handlebars the first time I grabbed a hand full of front brakes...going to need help with that throttle, my old wrist will not take that long..way too stiff... looking forward to getting to knowing this bike...

PICT3275.jpg

The most beautiful bike BMW ever built and you even got the correct color!

:grin:

Regarding the throttle, you might need new throttle cables.

You definitely need a left side spark plug cover.

:thumbsup:

My favorite bike of all time, except for the tippy toes part. :D

Those brakes will spoil you for any other ride, IMHO.

Personally, I love the Throttle Rocker.

I still think the 1150 is the best looking RT of all time :thumbsup:

Congratulations on having very good spur of the moment reactions!

How many miles were on the odometer?

+1 on the 1100-1150's being the best lookers of the bunch.

I'd 2nd on checking the throttle cables. The low speed mapping on that bike isn't that great IMHO, but other than that the throttle friction is pretty close to other bikes I've ridden.

Nice bike and enjoy!

PICT3275.jpg

Regarding the throttle, you might need new throttle cables.

You definitely need a left side spark plug cover.

:thumbsup:

Sorry for nit-picking but isn't that the RIGHT side we see?

Put about 100 miles on it this morning... think the throttle is going to be ok..

Put about 100 miles on it this morning... think the throttle is going to be ok..

Goodness gracious! That bike is still waiting for break in.

Hey, welcome, I agree with all those who praise the looks of the 1150RT.

Let me know if you need a list of "don't do that" about maintenance. I know them all; DAMHIK.

Great bike...I have the 2005 in Biarittz Blue. Here is a site you might want to inquire about. They have several rides around Texas. Search "Pie Run". There is one someplace every month. I live in Houston and maybe will see you at one soon.

http://www.twtex.com/

Beautiful, perhaps the previous owner had ELF pegs and didn't want them to go with the bike. Late build date with that style cylinder head covers.

Going to get to 50K on mine pretty soon and have had minimal problems.

I use a throttle rocker when out for a long ride. Have fun and get the information needed from the folks on the this site!

:wave:

Welcome to the tribe, great bikes and great crowd! That's a nice RT! The colour coordinated bags look super and you will enjoy the saddle. When I got my first RT I testdrove it first on the dealers parking lot, I had heard of the brakes being pretty fierce and they were, but you will get used to it pretty quickly. I am sure one of the first things you may want to add is a throttle lock. Throttlemeister or Kaoko are pretty good.

Have fun.

Thanks for all the welcomes..

Did discover that the bike has 15K miles more than indicated..speedmeter was replaced back in '04..so has 39000 instead of the 24000 I thought it had..talking to the dealer about that..

One point on the brakes. It may not be the brakes at all, but rather the anti-dive properties of the Telelever. It's kind of a weird feeling at first when you jam on the brakes and the bike stays dead upright. It's a very different feel from other bikes. You'll get used to it quickly and I think enjoy it.

The bike's handling under braking and in turns with bumps turns out to be one of the things I love most about the bike.

ABoyAndHisK

Apologies for the slight thread drift here. This post came up when I was searching for Austin related messages. We're leaving the northeast for Austin in mid-June. I'd love to hear I can connect with the Saturday morning breakfast ride (or any other groups for that matter,) in the Austin area.

Thanks,

Allan

Bought mine last year with 11000 on the clock.It came with a lot of farkles(same seat as yours,throttle miester,etc.).And yes those frt brakes R a Little sensitive.I love that color,all U need now is some reflective striping :)

Gorgeous ride my new friend...I agree the R1150RT is still the best looking bmw ever built imho. I have an 1100 and wish i could convert over to that headlight and fairing...sleek looking.

Nice seat and the painted bags look great.

And just to chime in on the spark plug cover....that is the RIGHT side, NOT the left. It is ALWAYS as you are sitting on or in the vehicle, not standing in front of it looking at it....Im just sayin...

I'd love to hear I can connect with the Saturday morning breakfast ride (or any other groups for that matter,) in the Austin area.

They start showing up a little after six at 360 & Bee Caves with 20-25 bikes then about 0730 they start spliting off into smaller groups and ride some place for breakfast.. good group...

ABoyAndHisK
I'd love to hear I can connect with the Saturday morning breakfast ride (or any other groups for that matter,) in the Austin area.

They start showing up a little after six at 360 & Bee Caves with 20-25 bikes then about 0730 they start spliting off into smaller groups and ride some place for breakfast.. good group...

Very cool! I'll be on the red K12RS, probably still with MA plates.

Allan

Thanks for all the welcomes..

Did discover that the bike has 15K miles more than indicated..speedmeter was replaced back in '04..so has 39000 instead of the 24000 I thought it had..talking to the dealer about that..

Whoa, how did you figure that out?

Still, that is a low mileage bike.

As for suggestions for buying a throttle control...I took a suggestion from a clever rider and it worked well for me. The assembly configuration of the throttle grip leaves a small gap between the grip inner edge and the handlebar. Go to you local hardware store and buy some large rubber O rings. Ace has them in bright yellow for $.69 each. Slip one on the end of the throttle grip and roll it up into that gap. You will find that there is just the right tension to hold the throttle open safely and very cheaply. And you'll find that there is just little tension enough for you to roll the throttle against the tension should you decide to do so. This saved my wrist on a long trip. BUT take a look at that throttle cable to be sure you don't have an evolving problem.

Man I miss that RT.

It was in the scheduled maintenance book that came with the bike. Back in '04 the dealer had stamped the book for service and indicated the replacement with the old speedometer mileage. The dealer I got it from wasn't aware of it but called a BMW dealer and gave them the VIN and they verified that it had been replaced...gave me a $200 gift certificate..so still happy with the deal... now just got to get it running again.. less than week after I got it one of the fuel disconnects failed.. waiting or parts...

It was in the scheduled maintenance book that came with the bike. Back in '04 the dealer had stamped the book for service and indicated the replacement with the old speedometer mileage. The dealer I got it from wasn't aware of it but called a BMW dealer and gave them the VIN and they verified that it had been replaced...gave me a $200 gift certificate..so still happy with the deal... now just got to get it running again.. less than week after I got it one of the fuel disconnects failed.. waiting or parts...

:grin: At the very least maybe that dealer will read the service book when they take a bike on trade?

Did they give you any kind of warranty on the bike, 90 days or something?

Archived