IGNORED

Fuel Tank Filler PLate Gasket Question

coopr

I'm in the process of doing a bunch of stuff to my '02 1150 RT, which lead to me removing all of the tupperware. I am trying to put things back together and have run into a problem with the gasket (o-ring) that is located beneath the fuel filler plate. I cannot get it to seat into the depression that it appears to belong in. I didn't remove the filler (it is connected to something in the tank internally - vent maybe?). The o-ring actually seems too large to seat into the depression. Every time I get it close it pops out. I can't get the torque bolts to thread, since the gasket won't seat and I'm sure it's there to keep fuel from sloshing out of the top of the tank so it needs to be right. Any ideas? Thanks!

Those o-rings swell when the come into contact with fuel, which helps seal the plate under normal conditions. The problem is, as you have found, when the plate is undone they no longer fit. The answer is either a new o-ring or remove the one you have and gently warm it to drive off the fuel so that it (nearly) returns to normal size and re-install.

Andy

Those O-rings expand when exposed to gasoline. I had the same problem a while back and simply cut about 1/4" out of it and situated the gap at the top/front with a dab of black silicone to seal it. Never leaked in the subsequent 70K miles or so until I dismantled the '98. Of course if you are near a dealer or a gasket & packing type hardware store, it is much easier and more secure to simply replace with the appropriate size ring.

If you just leave it out in the sun for awhile, it will shrink.....Not all the way back to new sizing, but close enough to reinstall. Works well in NM, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Leaving it out in the sun was not an option today in northern Michigan (still a little snow on the ground). I ended up cutting the o-ring, seating it and putting a little "form-a-gasket" on it where I cut.

An o-ring that swells with exposure to gasoline; who woulda thunk?!

Thanks again. Can't wail to get her back together and on the road!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Glad to see you got it seated by any means necessary.

For future reference:

I used to have the same problem with the gasket on the sending unit. I found it helpful to lubricate the gasket with grease so that whatever part was unseated when installing the fitting was more willing to squish and squip into the groove as things got tightened up.

On the sending unit, IIRC, it was also possible to poke from the outside to encourage the gasket to find its seat. I wonder if this would have been possible with the filler attachment?

I found it helpful to lubricate the gasket with grease so that whatever part was unseated when installing the fitting was more willing to squish and squip into the groove as things got tightened up.........I wonder if this would have been possible with the filler attachment?

+1 This worked for me on both the filler attachment and the fuel pump / sender plate. Also, buying a spare O-ring and let the old one "dry out" while using the new one. Then switch back and forth.

+1 on keeping a rolling spare O ring. Don't dispose of the old one if it is in good condition, just leave it to shrink back to normal, then next time repeat the swap out process.

Archived