IGNORED

Motorcycles are unsafe and unstable

upflying

She could have actually done a service if she had taken the opportunity to educate, suggesting that anyone considering taking up riding start with an MSF course. At least folks would know by the end of the course if they were still interested.

But nope, motorcycles are dangerous and scarey.......To the average cage driver. So she went with that.

CoarsegoldKid

Invite her out for a ride. Pull the wick on a on-ramp. Add a couple of lane splits. Scare the crap out of her. Then again she might like the thrill!

As with most "reporters" these days, why let the facts get in the way of personal opinion reported as a fact. Ed Murrow, wherever he is, must be having a fit with the current state of journalism.

Of course, "her majesty" is an advice columnist, and most of those have no idea what they are talking about in the first place. Ignorance is bliss these days.

I had an interesting thought on the subject of electric motorcycles on freeways. IIRC, the code limits motorcycles on freeways with engines greater than 150cc. How does that work with an electric bike?

As soon as I saw the "Queen of the Road" title, I knew we'd never be friends.

The reader even wrote "Splitting lanes is safe and very satisfying if done correctly."

I'd like to hear the Queen tell us all just what that means. I'm sure she doesn't have a clue.

Life is dangerous...no one gets out alive. Should I cower in the corner or go for a ride? As my good friend often tells me; "ride fast, take chances"

I had an interesting thought on the subject of electric motorcycles on freeways. IIRC, the code limits motorcycles on freeways with engines greater than 150cc. How does that work with an electric bike?

I don't know.....Some states have BHP rules, rather than displacement. Seems that laws will have to catch up to technology.

I wonder if she has any statistics to back up her opinion. Why don't you write her and ask for her basis. How many motorcycle accidents a year and under what circumstances. Is lane splitting really more dangerous than staying in line on the freeways? If she does the research, I'd expect her conclusion to be not to drink while lane splitting. And don't run off the road while speeding.

----

Dennis Andress
It is not safe for a person who has no air bags, no surrounding metal and no seat belt, ...

One evening, after watching a couple of idiot driver moves, I commented to my wife:

"I bet they don't even teach safety in Driver's Ed anymore"

Laney: "Of course they do."

Me: "Why? Airbags and ABS pretty much have it covered."

Laney: "Hmmmm, I see your point. All they need to teach is 'Go for it, you'll be okay' ."

Motorcycles are "largely invisible"?!

Yeah, smaller than a minivan but if bikes are "largely invisible" to Ms. Queen of the Road maybe she should consider new glasses or better yet leave driving to people with unimpaired vision.

--

Mikko

beemerman2k

While I agree that what she just did was very ignorant and irresponsible, the reality is that for a significant percentage of her readers, it's probably quite accurate. These are the kind of people who read the paper, chat on cell phones, and eat breakfast while driving everyday. Put them on 2 wheels and they are an accident waiting to happen without the airbags and ABS brakes.

I say let the ignorant dogs lie in their coddled cages. Anyhone who makes life decisions based upon what people like this say are the most ignorant of people out there. Nothing anyone can do for them as it takes a much sharper mind to successfully enjoy a life of motorcycling. Just watch out for them on the road, that's all.

That phrase, "Jane, you ignorant slut", somehow popped into my head :grin:

While I agree that what she just did was very ignorant and irresponsible, the reality is that for a significant percentage of her readers, it's probably quite accurate. These are the kind of people who read the paper, chat on cell phones, and eat breakfast while driving everyday. Put them on 2 wheels and they are an accident waiting to happen without the airbags and ABS brakes.

I say let the ignorant dogs lie in their coddled cages. Anyhone who makes life decisions based upon what people like this say are the most ignorant of people out there. Nothing anyone can do for them as it takes a much sharper mind to successfully enjoy a life of motorcycling. Just watch out for them on the road, that's all.

That phrase, "Jane, you ignorant slut", somehow popped into my head :grin:

Excellent response. Most people really should stay away from motorcycles. And stupid is extremely difficult to repair.

Archived