IGNORED

Alternator belt and breather tube?

Hotmop

I'm replacing the alternator belt on my 1997 R1100RT. In the BMW book and Haynes, I see no reference to removing the breather tube (assuming that's what it is) to get the belt off.

Am I nuts? That tube is secured both inside and outside the loop of the belt. It would HAVE to come off to get the belt off. I just began to question if I was missing something really stupid as no threads or discussion mention it. They all just say "remove cover, loosen alternator bolts and replace belt"

This pic shows the tube well...

Altenator pic

Yeah, I just had my cover off Wednesday (2000 1100RT) and I don't remember seeing that. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in soon.

Yeah, I think the earlier oilheads had an oil line that was in the way. It you like, try to get fresh gasket/washer thingies, otherwise reuse the existing ones that come off with the oil line when you remove it. My '99 and certainly all later oilheads did not have anything in the way of a belt check/replacement.

Remove the Oil Line, install new belt, re-install line. No need to replace the copper washers. If you have a small propane torch, Copper Washers can be heated red hot to re-introduce mallability to their ability to once again be "crushable". Not required, but possible. Just don't over tighten..snug, and then a bit is enough.

Thanks SKYGZR.

With so many refs NOT mentioning it, good to hear someone that's seen it/dealt with it.

Off to get dirty.

Clive Liddell

If the cover is still off I thought I'd mention that the covers can be cut across horizontally. The two pieces are securely held by the two screws in each "half".

Inspections and R&R is a lot easier after and a neat cut is almost invisible.

Slight hijack here, Is there a way to inspect the belt visually without taking the bike half apart?

YES, as Clive says, chop the cover neatly in half next time you can. Then every tim after that, all you have to do is remove two bolts and you gain access to the belt. You can just rotate the crankshaft pulley to view the entire belt.

Andy

Thanks SKYGZR.

With so many refs NOT mentioning it, good to hear someone that's seen it/dealt with it.

Off to get dirty.

My '97 had it too. Just take it off and put it back on wehn you're done.

Not directed at Jim, I just hit 'reply'

I have a 96 R/RT and during a HES replacement thought about this subject with much interest. After playing with it for (quite) a while and making a weak attempt at the Vulcan Mind Meld, the cover slipped out. I put in place and removed it several times and took pictures for posterity. It can be done, without much difficulty, once you've seen it. There are sequenced photos here.

You can clearly see with the cover removed, the pipe connected inside and outside (over) the belt and requiring removal. I didn't remember removing the tube because for the HES replacement, I only needed to drop the belt, not remove it.

In preparation for this task, I got a replacement cover thinking I was gong to cut it and wanted a replacement.

I would not cut the cover.

Peter Parts
Slight hijack here, Is there a way to inspect the belt visually without taking the bike half apart?

YES, as Clive says, chop the cover neatly in half next time you can. Then every tim after that, all you have to do is remove two bolts and you gain access to the belt. You can just rotate the crankshaft pulley to view the entire belt.

Andy

Convenient but hardly the spot on my bike where I'd like water and dirt access (unless you make a trick butt joint.. making a lot more effort than all the checking in 20 years).

Simpler just to use anti-seize on the bolts. When I was young, I used Locktite a lot; now I use anti-seize a lot.

Seems to be a lot of variability on this belt's life and eyeballing not always predictive. Too bad you can't just double the maintenance intervals like on other BMW parts. But simple enough just to replace from time to time.

Ben

damp in Toronto

[

Convenient but hardly the spot on my bike where I'd like water and dirt access (unless you make a trick butt joint.. making a lot more effort than all the checking in 20 years).

Simpler just to use anti-seize on the bolts. When I was young, I used Locktite a lot; now I use anti-seize a lot.

Seems to be a lot of variability on this belt's life and eyeballing not always predictive. Too bad you can't just double the maintenance intervals like on other BMW parts. But simple enough just to replace from time to time.

Ben

damp in Toronto

The cover has vent slots in it and is open to the rear at the top - cutting in half makes no difference to keeping moisture out - it is just a safety cover.

Andy

Mine has been cut in half pretty much from the moment I got the bike. My bike is ridden all year round, much lot of the time in a gritty wet UK winter. It also, gets ridden down quite a few un-metaled tracks. In all that time I have not had any problems with dirt ingress. As Andy has said, the holes that are in there from manufacture are actually far more in the firing line for water & debris, but we don't hear of any problems....because there aren't any. Go for the chop.

Peter Parts

OK... I stand corrected. Thanks.

By way of contrition, here's my tip. I hot-glued some wires across the front-cover vents to keep small birds out.

Ben

Just so everyone knows - that is a breather tube, not an oil tube. Nothing will leak out. Also, the crush washer can be reused without any problems.

Some bikes have these tubes, some don't.

OK... I stand corrected. Thanks.

By way of contrition, here's my tip. I hot-glued some wires across the front-cover vents to keep small birds out.

Ben

Flippin' Birds? :Cool:

Archived