IGNORED

How unsafe is a modular helmet?

AdirondackJack

On Monday I wrecked with a Schuberth Concept Helmet. It didn't fail after I slammed into a car and back onto the ground. I don't have data I have experience. Wear or not wear what you want it's your head.

My Multitech saved me in 2009. It even split in the back at impact but did not open. Another helmet could easily have done the same and it is only my believe that this helmet "saved" me. I'm not willing to test this believe.

I am now breaking in a C3 which is notably quieter than my Multitechs.

On Monday I wrecked with a Schuberth Concept Helmet. It didn't fail after I slammed into a car and back onto the ground. I don't have data I have experience. Wear or not wear what you want it's your head.

Glad to know that you are ok. Did the helmet impact the vehicle or the ground? And was the impact hard enough in your opinion.

Nice n Easy Rider
Glad to know that you are ok. Did the helmet impact the vehicle or the ground? And was the impact hard enough in your opinion.

I'm sure that any impact that occurred was hard enough for Murray. :grin:

I'm not one that generalizes and says modulular is less safe than full face. The fact is, each helmet design is unique with good and bad issues regarding safety. I do however, look at the track record of a particular brand regarding their ability to design and manufacture a safe, quality product. The internet has been a source of somewhat reliable data.

I am also a fan of testing organizations. More than one, so there is some "competition" between each. Testing helps to keep manufactures honest.

That said, I also feel a simple design is the best design. A full face helmet is usually far less complex than a modular. Much less to go wrong and possibly easier to assess some flaws that the design might have. So with that, if two helmets (modular and full face) were designed and built by the same exact people, same construction materials, same weight and fit, the full face would win safety wise IMO.

But, they are not. So punt and go for an enjoyable ride.

AdirondackJack

Here's an issue that I haven't really focused much on: With a full face you have no choice. . . . . .once you put the helmet on, your entire head is covered (including your chin and face). With the flip-up, there is always the possibility (and tendency) not to flip down the hinged front of the helmet because it is hot. . . .you are lazy (who, me?) etc. So does this automatically disqualify the flip-up helmet as inadequate coverage for your head cause it is functioning essentially as only a 3/4 face helmet unless you effectively flip the front down every time?

I see the advantage of the modular helmet as being more friendly in an emergency responder situation.

EMT's are generally trained NOT to remove helmets in a serious injury.

Unfortunately, with a full face helmet, this may hamper their ability to provide emergency treatment (CPR).

I'm thinking that with a modular helmet, at least they can get to your face to put a mask on your for CPR. They shouldn't and probably don't do the head tilt thing to clear your airways anyways as there are other ways to do that but, with a full face, how to get air to the rider without removing the helmet?

PS: I use a full face.

bmurphypdx

I have used a modular for several years as have many of my riding friends. I've never seen any of us ride with the chin piece up. I'm sure somebody might. I suspect some with full face helmets may ride with the chin strap undone. Some may ride with their helmets attached to the rear baggage shelf. What does that have to do with the safety of a modular helmet? If you are not wearing it correctly, no helmet is safe.

I have used a modular for several years as have many of my riding friends. I've never seen any of us ride with the chin piece up. I'm sure somebody might. I suspect some with full face helmets may ride with the chin strap undone. Some may ride with their helmets attached to the rear baggage shelf. What does that have to do with the safety of a modular helmet? If you are not wearing it correctly, no helmet is safe.

I suppose the one exception (that I'm aware of) is the Shark Evoline Series 2 modular helmet. It's "chin bar" flips not just up, but all the way to the back of the helmet. It is DOT and ECE 22-05 rated both with the chin bar down and with it in the back position. I have three helmets, two full-face and the Shark. I only use it on day rides, and I never ride with the bar in the fully open position, but you do have that option on the Shark.

EMT's are generally trained NOT to remove helmets in a serious injury.
Depends on the meaning of "serious" :) But you're right full-face are more intimidating to the practitioner at best and less easy to do things like face mask plants for O2. I wear a modular (& am an EMT) so maybe I'm biased & rationalizing :grin:

My Arai RXQ has small tabs that EMTs can pull to release the cheek pads so the helmet can slide off without much resistance. I'm not sure how many EMTs are aware of the feature. There are labels on the red tabs but, would anyone know to look if I was unable to tell them? I don't know.

ianboydsnr

Some modular helmets are tested with the chin guard up as well as down, my Caberg sintesi certainly is and I think the Roof boxer was too, my sintesi is sharp tested a 4 star

There are times when I ride short distances with the chin piece up,say from the gas station to the cafe 100 feet away, its no safer than an open helmet then, I allways wear a modular, before the sintesi I had a Scuberth C2, I tried the old style full face but did'nt get on with it, I personly dont think that the latching is an issue, if anything the weight of them is.

they are far safer than open face helmets, which was my helmet of choice before the modular, anyone worrieng on the difference in safety between a modular and a full face, ought to sell there bike and get a Volvo!

Archived