IGNORED

Front axle lube?

SteveMc

2006 R1200RT 66000 miles. I've replaced the front tire multiple times. The first time, there was a a generous amount of lubrication on the axle. Now, it is not dry, but there is much less grease or lubrication. Should I be re lubricating the axle, and if so, what should I be using? Thanks in advance. I know I've seen this topic discussed before, but my meager search skills failed to locate it.

I'm not certain it needs grease, but I always put grease to keep it from rusting. If the axle gets a spot of rust, it becomes very difficult to remove.

I use a very light coating of boat trailer wheel bearing grease, just to keep things from getting crappy, like EddyQ said.

Morning Steve

The Service manual calls for "Optimoly TA High-temperature assembly grease" on that front axle.

I just use a quality lithium based waterproof wheel bearing grease. That grease is always still in place and coating the axle at next removal so it’s doing the job correctly.

All you need is a very thin coating on the axle to prevent corrosion and keep the moisture out.

Afternoon Bob

Some pry them apart and force some lube in, or try forcing lube under the seals. If I go to the trouble of driving them out I always replace them (cheap insurance).

unsalted butter.

I actually considered that, but I figured it would attract ants, then what, spray with insecticide?

Thanks dirtrider, that's what I'll do. I had a Yamaha 390 many years ago, the axle rusted and it was a bear to get out. I appreciate your response.

Joe Frickin' Friday
unsalted butter.

I actually considered that, but I figured it would attract ants, then what, spray with insecticide?

Garlic, dill, and lemon juice.

983214352_YBXsa-S.jpg

slightly more seriously: this isn't a moving part, so the exact nature of the lube ain't critical - just a light coat of anything (engine oil, gear oil, Honda Moly 60, white grease, whatever) that helps prevent any corrosion or crudding up that might make it difficult to pull the axle out by hand during the next tire change.

Archived