IGNORED

camping between N. Florida and Durango, CO.

Schooly

I'm planning a trip to the Durango area, (maybe over to Torrey as well) beginning the middle of May. If anyone has suggestions for Motorcycle friendly campgrounds between Fl and Durango (route is still flexible) and in the Durango area or nearby I would appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

Witch_Doctor

I have made a similar trip several times on my old 99 R11R, except I went to Ft Collins. First day was always I-10 to I-49 outside Lafayette, LA then hit I-20 West to Witchita Falls, TX. Stay at the Hampton Inn, then head to Amarillo, TX and hit US 287 North then hang a right on US 87 until I hit the I-25 into Trinidad, CO. Once you hit Amarillo, get gas at any available station, they are scarce. It always amazed me when you hit the New Mexico line, it goes from flat dusty desert to foothill mountains. Once in Colorado, I always stayed at KOA's when camping, though I am pretty preferable to hotels.

OK on the I 10 to I 49 part but take 271 north towards Paris and then 82 over to Witchytall Falls and pick up 287.

Cuts out the Big D and roads have 70 mph limits w/less traffic and nice scenery.

Witch_Doctor

I understand that, I always treated the first day as a get the heck out of familar territory and do a Saddle Sore ride. I have riden so much of those parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, I just want it in my rear view. Once I am in Wichita Falls, sightseeing ensues.

Agent_Orange

Been there, done that route several times. :wave:

One of the best camp grounds I have ever been to was in Missouri. It's off route 41 on 122. Van Meter State Park. It's just down the road from Miami. Really!

Another really great campground is just south of Amarillo west of 27. Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em. :thumbsup:

I was working my way up the states on my way to Iowa, and then, down to the RA rally in Red River NM.

Thanks for the suggestions on camping and the directions and detours around Dallas. I figured I would be stopping in Amarillo so i will check out that campground. I guess the MC only campgrounds aren't so prevalent out west as they are in North Carolina (like the Blue Ridge MC camp south of Waynesboro).

Archived