IGNORED

New GSA?

Mark K

A buddy of mine is trying to buy a new GSA and is confounded by the offers he is getting (Seattle area).

Is it always MSRP? Is the demand for these bikes so great?!

Morning Mark

No, it isn’t ALWAYS MSRP but some dealers won’t budge on the price. It really depends on the dealer, on how many like bikes he has access to, how many the dealer has in HIS inventory, if he expects to sell all available at full price.

If it’s a “this years” model probably a little early yet to start seeing many GOOD deals especially on the good sellers like the GS or GSA.

I haven’t ever paid full retail for any new bike in my life including the BMW. But I’m willing to travel quite a ways to get a good deal.

I’m not sure what’s available in the Seattle area but have him start calling some other dealers to see what they might offer. If he gets a descent deal at a distant location then see if his dealer will match it, if not then have him ask the distant dealer if they will pick him up at the airport or bus bus/train station (most will).

If fact maybe “you” could call Chicago BMW to see what they will offer for a deal (they have always had fair deals) , maybe he can use that as a good excuse to visit you AND ride a new bike home.

One other suggestion is: maybe the dealer won’t budge on the bike’s price but some will give great deals on all the accessories that might be needed like top boxes, cyl guards, tank bags, riding boots, etc. Maybe in the long haul a bike at full MSRP with the accessories at dealer cost or 25% off might be cheaper than a little off the MSRP.

One other suggestion is: maybe the dealer won’t budge on the bike’s price but some will give great deals on all the accessories that might be needed like top boxes, cyl guards, tank bags, riding boots, etc. Maybe in the long haul a bike at full MSRP with the accessories at dealer cost or 25% off might be cheaper than a little off the MSRP.

That's exactly what I did. Deep discounts on accessories can add up to some serious $$

Not a GS, but an RT. I visited about four dealers, and they all said, "Full MSRP, and not a penny less." The fifth said he'd give me $1,500 off, so I said, "Deal." Plus, because my desired list of options could not be found on a showroom floor, the dealer had to order the bike from Germany and wait three months for it to be built and delivered. He did this with no purchase agreement and no deposit, just a handshake.

He also sold me all the BMW accessories I wanted at "cost," which was slightly more than half of list.

I'm familiar with the Seattle dealer (two dealerships actually but both have the same owner). Really nice people but they do not deal. If your friend is in Seattle, he might consider buying in California and riding home. I bought a bike in Seattle, no dealing. Bought another bike from Santa Cruz BMW and had a much better experience. YMMV.

Morning Mark

If fact maybe “you” could call Chicago BMW to see what they will offer for a deal (they have always had fair deals) , maybe he can use that as a good excuse to visit you AND ride a new bike home.

That dealership has had quite a shakeup in the last week. You will not be dealing with the same sales person any longer, 4 of the staff have went to another dealership opening in the Chicago area.

Evening KDeline

That is good to know. I knew there must have been something up over there just wasn’t sure what.

I can understand not wanting to post anything but maybe you could PM me with your take on the dealer move and what’s going on.

I appreciate all the comments.

I too was wondering what was going on over there at Chicago BMW. I had a minor question on a recent order and sent them an email (replied to the address on my emailed invoice) and never got a response. It wasn't important enough for me to give them a call during the day, so I let it go. Not typical of them, tho.

Interesting. I thought Mike was family at Chi BMW. Great guy to do business with.

Edit: Just did a quick search. Looks like it is under the giant Autobarn dealership family. Opening at the end of the month. Seems like a much different environment for Mike. I wonder if he will have the influence he had at Chicago.

Archived